Old 09-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217.5/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default For those using alternatives

I ordered a bunch of Proti-Thin alternatives through Nashua Nutrition and just discovered there's aspartame in some of them. It never dawned on me to look and now I'm really bummed and concerned.

I'm concerned because I don't like consuming aspartame for health reasons and I don't want it to slow my loss.

What is your experience? Part of me thinks there's such a minimal amount in there that it shouldn't make a difference, but I just don't know.

I just can't do the $30 a box for IP anymore, so alternatives are really my only...well...alternative.

Looking for voices of experience.
rainbowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #2  
Maintenance since 8/2/10

S/C/G: 173/130/130

Height: 4'11"

I wouldn't do it. Aspartame messes with your pancreas and can make it produce insulin. I would see if you could return it and look at the ingredients of the other items available to make sure that it's sucralose used as the sweetner.

Ultimately, it's your money and your journey, so do what you think is best, but if it wer me, I'd try to return it/get something different.
cajunladybug22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 5"

One key element to using alternatives is to check the ingredients closely. Many of the products on Nashua contain ingredients we want to avoid including aspartame, flour, and sugar alcohols. This limits the products we can order. I have tried a few things that wouldn't fit with Ip protocol perfectly and have been ok, but I only use them occasionally. I really stick with the puddings, soups, and soy puffs from Proti Diet and Proti Thin.

I suppose you can try using the products with aspartame in them sparingly and see what happens. If they mess with your losses, stop using them. Or just try to exchange them for other items.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #4  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

After I ordered from Nashua, I realized that the jelly has aspartame, I cannot return it... funny I checked for everything else, and it was only this one that has aspartame, so by mistake I did not check it and ended up with a box, so I decided to use it but very sparingly, like maybe once a week only, I do believe this way it would not mess your loss. I am saying this because when I first started this diet, I did not know that we were not supposed to have aspartame, my coach did not mention this to me, I learned it from this forum actually, so I used to have aspartame and it did not mess up with my weight loss.

So in my opinion, don't throw the box away, you already paid for it, use it but really slowly, like I would do one every week or two maybe, this is what I will do.
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I agree, use it a couple times a week. I order from Noshua, Diet Direct & Lindora. They all carry product that has no aspartame, you just have to scan ingredients, although one of them in the 'menu' section has an aspartame-free choice, I just can't remember which one. The other products that fit well with IP are the EAS shakes that you can get at WalMart/Sams and target (choc. straw. van.) and also Pure Protein bars that can be found at WalMart/Sams & Wegmans. I am sure you may be able to find them at other stores. Good Luck and you will be fine
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217.5/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I don't like the puddings anyway -- and that's what has the aspartame, so I guess it'll just be a lesson learned. The EAS shakes are fine until I find a better pudding for my coffee. I think ProtiDiet has one without aspartame.
rainbowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I ordered my products from Proteinwell in Canada. I got ProtiDiet products.
I matched up the cals, fat, protein & sugar as close as possible to comparible IP selections. The carbs in most of them are a bit lower than IP in most cases but I'm wondering how they came up with the carb count.

The Protidiet selects we buy in Canada are made in Canada. All the ones I have do not contain aspartame, some have sucralose.
But what makes me wonder about the carb counts is that some of the products list two things that have made me overweight all my life, wheat and fructose, sometimes in the form of corn syrup solids.
If the carb counts are correct these two ingredients must be miniscule, I wonder how that works.

I had the chicken noodle soup yesterday. It listed wheat as an ingredient but only listed 5 carbs. I assumed the wheat must have been in the noodles which were thread thin. I just didn't eat the noodles. I'll finish off the rest of the box that way and not order anymore.
The pancakes also has wheat, that will likely be more of a problem. I had expected them to have soy and rice. flour. I'll try them sparingly and see how it goes.I won't order anymore of them either.
I will monitor how this goes. If I am not losing weight by the end of a month I'll go back to IP products. I had to change clinics anyway as the other one was too far out of the way when I went back to work in the fall. If I go back to a clinic there are several on the route of my commute so I'll go to one of them.

Last edited by patns; 09-24-2011 at 04:39 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote