Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/189/145

Height: 5'2"

Unhappy HELP... Any other emotional eaters out there?

So, I know you've all heard it all before... I cheated. Spoiler alert: If you don't want to know about it, then don't keep reading! (I did use courtesy white text for the cheat food listings.)

I had a rough day yesterday, and my roommate and I got into an ugly fight just before dinner. Unfortunately, I am an emotional eater, but so far since starting the diet in May, I've only had 2 lapses - which for me, is pretty darn good! I have been to a counselor in the past to help deal with stress, but we worked through my issues at the time and all has been well since. Sadly, though, last night I just got so fed up with bad attitudes that I left while we were preparing dinner. (Not without warning, though. I think I held out as long as humanly possible before I stormed out!)

My question is, for you fellow emotional eaters, how do you keep it under control under the worst of circumstances? I ended up with a marginally okay dinner out (seafood and zucchini) but too many carbs (bread and sweet potato fries). Oh, and did I mention the 2 glasses of white wine? I was SO full, I felt sick. And ill that I may have ruined my entire week of weight loss so close to my first goal. (Only 4.5 weeks away!!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Everyone here is always so supportive. It really makes a huge difference to have you all.
katiebeth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 137/127/117

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebeth7 View Post
So, I know you've all heard it all before... I cheated. Spoiler alert: If you don't want to know about it, then don't keep reading! (I did use courtesy white text for the cheat food listings.)

I had a rough day yesterday, and my roommate and I got into an ugly fight just before dinner. Unfortunately, I am an emotional eater, but so far since starting the diet in May, I've only had 2 lapses - which for me, is pretty darn good! I have been to a counselor in the past to help deal with stress, but we worked through my issues at the time and all has been well since. Sadly, though, last night I just got so fed up with bad attitudes that I left while we were preparing dinner. (Not without warning, though. I think I held out as long as humanly possible before I stormed out!)

My question is, for you fellow emotional eaters, how do you keep it under control under the worst of circumstances? I ended up with a marginally okay dinner out (seafood and zucchini) but too many carbs (bread and sweet potato fries). Oh, and did I mention the 2 glasses of white wine? I was SO full, I felt sick. And ill that I may have ruined my entire week of weight loss so close to my first goal. (Only 4.5 weeks away!!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Everyone here is always so supportive. It really makes a huge difference to have you all.
Katie - I have been the same lately (I think mine is just being super stressed out over MANY different aspects of my life) and what I have been doing is instead of reaching for something bad (like sweets or carbs) I have been either getting on my treadmill and "walking the bad away" or I reach for the lettuce. At least then I am not "cheating" since we can have the unlimited lettuce and it does seem to pacify me. I hope this helps...
michelletroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

I am in the same boat. I am nearing the end of Phase 1 and I feel like im sabotaging myself. I am also an emotional eater and have been under tremendous stress lately (just bought a house with my fiance). I am 12 weeks in and only cheated once before. However this past weekend I ate everything oreos, tollhouse cookies, half a box of cereal, ice cream, reese's pieces. I feel myself get in an addict mode almost? I can't get enough I feel sick and still eat more and this sounds awful but I felt happy about it? Then I went into a coma state and had to go to bed I couldn't move my stomach was so full and then the entire next day I felt SO guilty I hated myself. I ate OP all day then at night the same thing I needed all the sugar I could get my hands on AND then I did it again yesterday. I keep telling myself your paying for all these products for what? to just throw it out the window because you want a cookie? but its not working I was so good on this diet. No cravings no fighting with myself I just did it and was happy doing it. I have no idea whats going on now or what to do.
I wish I had some great suggestions for you but I don't lol I am looking for some myself! lol but it was nice to hear someone else is going through something similar to me.
abbykitty1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/256/120

I know how you feel. I was doing so good till week 7. We had to put our dog to sleep and that didn't go over too well. I had a real big emotional cheat that night. I was soooo sick after that I thought I would never do that again. Well guess what? That only opened the flood gates haha. The carb cravings have been awful since. I will start the day doing just fine and by the end of the day I have blown it. It has been a real stressful 2 1/2 weeks here. I now have a a real bad cold because I have not been eating like I should and my body is all out of wack. I just put my foot down and said NO MORE. I am back on plan now and fighting carb cravings worse than when I started.

I do keep a daily thoughts and reflection journal and know what my triggers are. I also have a plan of attack for when this happens so I don't have a emotional pig out. I just need to follow it. I have not been 100% into this tho for the last 2 1/2 weeks. I got on the scale and seen that I am up 8 pounds! That was a rude wake up call. If I continue I am never going to get this done. So here I sit not only 2 1/2 weeks behind but another week on top of that to get myself back into ketosis and on track where I should be.

I hope you can get something figured out. Emotional eating issues are so hard to get over. I have considered going back to Overeaters Anonymous again just to keep the emo eating in check myself. Maby it would be worth a try just to get some extra support with the emo eating.
nikkib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #5  

I am not sure if this will help, but a while back I was advised that when our bodies crave carbs and sweets, this means our Candida levels in our bodies are too high. So, when I feel myself starting to crave sweets and carbs, I start taking some pills called "Candida Cleanse" and I usually take them for about a week and then my cravings are gone (usually my cravings are gone within the first 48 hours of taking the pills with meals).
~Michelle
Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #6  
Start date 08/26/2011

S/C/G: 194.6/182.8/142.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebeth7 View Post

Problem is, just a little sugar or carbohydrate starts the craving for more. There are 2 types of eaters; the first can have just a bite or 2 of these foods each day (i.e. - 1 sq inch of dark chocolate or 2 triscuits, etc) and be totally satisfied.

The 2nd type can't get away with just one... just a little starts the roller coaster leaving them wanting more and more.

These are the 'tried every diet' types (myself included) who can 'deprive' themselves long enough to lose weight but then, very slowly, start back to old eating patterns and the weight creeps back on. Then we start the next miracle diet and it, too, works for a time, and the roller coaster goes on and on.

That's why the 4 phases on the IP are hopeful. IF you can plan to stay on it for the duration. It's getting your pancreas and other body functions cleansed and back to normal functioning, establishing healthy eating patterns and then slowly introducing small amounts of what, in the past, had been 'trigger foods.'

Most repeat dieters are probably emotional eaters. Even positive emotions can make us want to 'reward' or 'treat' ourselves. Interesting, as the real reward would be to Not eat those things for the good of our health.

The trick is, for emotional eaters, cheating is really out of the question until we can get that cycle under control.

In those dark moments, I remind myself of my motives for getting to a healthy weight - it's a good idea to write down your motives, right down to the minute,as in, "Can't wait until my 2012 High School reunion where I'll be a size 10 and looking even younger than the last one!" Reading over my list gets me to the gym or into my journal or on this forum instead of 'sneak' eating. I also ask God for strength and comfort.

Blessings to you on this journey ,

Corrie
Corrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 187.6/164.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbykitty1126 View Post
I am in the same boat. I am nearing the end of Phase 1 and I feel like im sabotaging myself. I am also an emotional eater and have been under tremendous stress lately (just bought a house with my fiance). I am 12 weeks in and only cheated once before. However this past weekend I ate everything oreos, tollhouse cookies, half a box of cereal, ice cream, reese's pieces. I feel myself get in an addict mode almost? I can't get enough I feel sick and still eat more and this sounds awful but I felt happy about it? Then I went into a coma state and had to go to bed I couldn't move my stomach was so full and then the entire next day I felt SO guilty I hated myself. I ate OP all day then at night the same thing I needed all the sugar I could get my hands on AND then I did it again yesterday. I keep telling myself your paying for all these products for what? to just throw it out the window because you want a cookie? but its not working I was so good on this diet. No cravings no fighting with myself I just did it and was happy doing it. I have no idea whats going on now or what to do.
I wish I had some great suggestions for you but I don't lol I am looking for some myself! lol but it was nice to hear someone else is going through something similar to me.
I could have written this myself! (except the buying the new house!)

I was doing way to much emotional eating all weekend. Monday, I tried to get back on track, but I was cranky, hungry, and had a headache. So, I reached for a pizza and cookies.

I figured out yesterday that since cheating so many times this weekend, I was going to have to go back through the withdrawal part again to get back into ketosis. I am now back on day 2. Yesterday I did really well after I realized why I was feeling they way I did.
becca1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/156/125

Height: 5' 4"

I'm an emotional eater too... A confessed yoyo dieter (unfortunately). I really just realized that I eat when I'm upset, negative, or sad. I don't eat much when I'm really happy or content with my life. There has been some negativity going around in the past 2 years and I put on about 20 pounds slowly but surely. Each day, I'd stuff my emotions in comfort food. I'd escape my reality, stay away from social activity only to try and lose the weight the next week and the cycle continues. Vicious, ugly, messing with my mind... But I am not going to allow this anymore.

I KNOW now that it's a punishment treatment I put myself through all the time. If I can't resolve my issues, I eat... escape. Avoid. I am in the process of reading books on food and sabotage and why we do it. It's all a mind game, really. I think my new approach is going to allow myself to channel those negative energies elsehwere. I'm going to fight these thoughts, and at the same time I will not ask too much of myself of things I cannot change. I'm going to take care of me now. Enough sabotage.

Last edited by AidanThirty; 09-07-2011 at 11:29 AM.
AidanThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/172/140

Height: 5'4

I did it too myself the other night althought I don;t think I am an emotional eater...I think I just like food. Now, may be easy for me to say, but I think it is important to reclass yourself. Don't think of yourself as an emotional eater. That will always be a crutch you will go to. You need a positive label. Break away from that stereotype and think of yourself as a healthy eater. Life is going to throw us all curve balls. Man, think about how great you feel when you don;t give in. Remember those moments! And if you fall off from time to time.. don't change your label, keep positive and get back to it!

support from this site is key!
yma311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #10  

I had this kind of weekend too! I had a guest staying over who was really...difficult. And after time at the state fair (where I packed a salad stayed OP the whole time!) but the next day, after all that saying no and dealing with my difficult friend, I ended up in a cheese shop and caving in to some cheese and salami and nuts as a lunch. Only then yesterday too I ended up having crackers and butter for dinner. So clearly I'm the slippery-slope type. The only good thing is (and sorry for the TMI) is the butter got me goin' (cough, cough)

but still -- it isn't worth it! I hate that I keep starting to eat healthy nutritious meals like a responsible grown up and then sabotage myself! So I'm just trying to commit again 100% starting today. and am going to search through this forum for some meal ideas that I can really look forward to!
cait91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 247/189/145

Thanks you guys!!! I am sneaking in a quick read at work, but I will be back online later to respond. I really appreciate the support - and I'm SO glad I'm not in this alone...
katiebeth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

This has helped me with my emotional eating.

http://www.o2mask.com/efiles1.html

http://www.o2mask.com/efiles3.html

Last edited by Nads; 09-07-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Nads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 144/120/122

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cait91 View Post
but still -- it isn't worth it! I hate that I keep starting to eat healthy nutritious meals like a responsible grown up and then sabotage myself! So I'm just trying to commit again 100% starting today. and am going to search through this forum for some meal ideas that I can really look forward to!
I tend not to eat at all on either the extremely happy or sad end of the spectrum, so I'm not an "emotional eater," but I think we ALL tend to comfort ourselves with food sometimes, for a variety of reasons, including myself. Finding another way to deal with whatever it is can be really difficult, but it's worth it to keep trying. (Sigh...if only Ben & Jerry could come up with a Phase 1 acceptable option!)

If it helps, here are some Phase 1 & 2 non-restricted IP recipes that include sweet, salty, crunchy, creamy, and spicy recipes, so if you're really craving something and feel like you're absolutely on the verge of cheating, see if there's ANYTHING on here that might work to ward off temptation first! (I once ate almost an entire bunch of celery doused in tabasco and sea salt...it satisfied my urge to pig out, and I found a great new lip plumper, although they were numb by the time I was done!)

Cheating is never a good idea since it does open the floodgates for more deviations, but "cheating" with an extra non-restricted IP food is SO much better than going off the protocol. If nothing else, this will give you some fresh meal ideas.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IP Basic Recipes.pdf (158.6 KB, 12 views)
Lilivonshtupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanThirty View Post
It's all a mind game, really. I think my new approach is going to allow myself to channel those negative energies elsehwere. I'm going to fight these thoughts, and at the same time I will not ask too much of myself of things I cannot change. I'm going to take care of me now. Enough sabotage.
Aidan - I think you said it perfectly by stating you are not going to ask too much of yourself...especially with these you can't change. I know I sometimes go through phases of thinking I can change everything, and then I lose focus and track and realize I have to stop and get back on with MY life.

~Michelle