Old 05-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/158/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Can Leeks be cooked??

Can we cook Leeks?? I know that they are part of the onion family and being that we can't cook onions I was curious if it was OK to cook Leeks?? The info I have received does not say anything about not being able to eat them cooked but curious what you more experienced IPers think. thanks!
sadlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #2  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadlo View Post
Can we cook Leeks?? I know that they are part of the onion family and being that we can't cook onions I was curious if it was OK to cook Leeks?? The info I have received does not say anything about not being able to eat them cooked but curious what you more experienced IPers think. thanks!
Cheekywit says you can use them in place of onions, as on IP onions are suppose to be raw. I have put them in stir fries and zucchini hashbrowns very good, never ate leeks before so this diet is opening me to new vegetables.
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/137/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadlo View Post
Baked Chicken with Onions & Leeks

6 servings
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
INGREDIENTS
2-3 cups thinly sliced and washed leek, white and light green part only
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2-3 pounds or breasts, skin removed, trimmed (see Tip)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons minced shallot
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

PREPARATION
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Toss leek, garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, thyme and salt in a large bowl until the vegetables are well coated. Spread the mixture in a nonreactive 9-by-13-inch baking dish (see Tip). Place the chicken pieces on the vegetables. Bake for 10 minutes.
Whisk mustard, shallot, rosemary, soy sauce and pepper in a small bowl; gradually whisk in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
After 10 minutes, brush the chicken with the mustard glaze. Continue baking approx. 30 minutes Serve the chicken with the vegetables.
TIPS & NOTES
Tip: I use thick chicken breasts, about 8 oz. each.
A nonreactive bowl or pan—stainless-steel, enamel-coated or glass—is necessary when cooking with acidic foods, such as lemon, to prevent the food from reacting with the pan. Reactive pans, such as aluminum and cast-iron, can impart an off color and/or off flavor.
NUTRITION
Per serving: 261 calories; 13 g fat ( 3 g sat , 8 g mono ); 78 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 1 g fiber; 324 mg sodium; 335 mg potassium.
dunwitfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #4  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Never heard of eating them raw. Can you do that?
josey is offline   Reply With Quote