Old 05-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #1  
Started IP - 4/11/2011

S/C/G: 203/193/150

Height: 5'4"

Default IP - Indian Recipes

Hi all,

I am posting this to get some feedback for some co-dieters on IP that are Indian. Does anyone have and indian recipes they can share? They don't need to be Phase 1 specific but close enough that they can cut down on the bad stuff.

Thanks so much!
Kimberly
FirstDietVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstDietVA View Post
Hi all,

I am posting this to get some feedback for some co-dieters on IP that are Indian. Does anyone have and indian recipes they can share? They don't need to be Phase 1 specific but close enough that they can cut down on the bad stuff.

Thanks so much!
Kimberly
http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?article248

the above is a recipe on Dr. Tran's website for tandoori skewers.

What other indian foods do you like? There are many vegetarian style dishes that will work. I like to do a version of Baingan Bharta (eggplant curry) I cut back on tomatoes and just have it occasionally. Also, I like to do a version of Alloo Gobi where I use the cauliflower but substitute the turnip (or a bit of rutabaga)for the potato. I also like Bhindi curry (okra curry) it works well just by cutting back on the tomatoes.

Most recipes are easy to get the bulk of the flavor profile without everything else being lost just be cutting back or out on the tomatoes, carrots, and potatoes. Substitute turnips or rutabaga for the starchy items and it is nice.

I don't really have any written recipes. I just read my own and have modified them as I cook. I can try to write it out if any of my suggestions sound good to you.

You can use the cauliflower rice as a side for the dishes.

Also, I love lamb saag and it is a recipe that is easy to do with this plan.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #3  
Started IP - 4/11/2011

Thanks Showgirlaz! This is awesome! I will be trying these as well as sharing with my Indian friends who are doing the diet as well. I know it has been even tougher on them because they are used to eating traditional foods.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/208/150

Height: 5'7"

Subbing turnip for the potatoes is an interesting idea. I'm not having much luck enjoying my turnips (fries were limp, mash was yukky)...I'm definitely going to try it in Aloo Gobi. My favorite thing is saag paneer, but I guess it'll have to be the saag without the paneer.
hollyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #5  
Started IP Jan 6 2011

S/C/G: 214/160/160ish

Height: 5'9 current size 8 and some 6's --never ever been a 6 (not even in highschool)

I make Indian food - or at least and IP version of it once a week or so. I used pureed cauliflower/turnips or whatever i have as a thickner -- here is my basic recipe (I am at work so I don't know exacts)-- and as a side note I apologize to my Indian friends as they would probably laugh at my attempts

Chicken Curry

Pound out a few chicken breasts or pork chops/medallion Pork tenderloin (not too thin but thinner then they come)
Toss them with Indian spices (I use Tandori specifically for this)
Let them marinate while you are preparing the next steps (I tend to let them marinate over night -but you can do this with a quick marinade as well it just won't pack as much of a punch)

In a heated non stick skillet spray a bit of olive oil spray (or drizzle some on the pan)
Add your Indian spices (I get mine at penzey's and like the Tandori, Rogan Josh and vindaloo) - you want to add LOTS of spice (I mix these together depending on what I want) -- bloom them by heating them to intensify the flavor
Add a good sized spoonful of tomato paste (you can omit this if you want-the flavor will still be delicious)
Add your pureed turnip/celery root/cauliflower (use whatever you have -- this is simply going to be a thickener to make a gravy)
Add chicken stock to make it the consistency of gravy -- simmer to blend the flavors
Add the marinated chicken chunks and any veggies you might like
Cover the pan and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is done Uncover the pan and turn the heat up to reduce the sauce (you may not have to do this - but sometimes I find my gravy gets a bit runny after it simmers with a closed lid especially if I add mushrooms to the mix)
Salt and pepper to taste
Serve over cauliflower rice

I also make a coriander mint chutney (the green sauce at an Indian restaurant) to serve with the curry. I will post this chutney recipe in the recipe thread tonight (btw the chutney is awesome on just about everything -particularly steak from the grill-again my apologies to my Indian friends)

I have served this meal to company several times and almost every time I make it my neighbor can smell me cooking it and knocks on my door on "Indian night" for his plate -- he has no idea it is IP friendly and has no idea he is eating cauliflower and not rice (makes me smile a bit)

Good luck!!!! These kind of meals make IP a happy diet for me.

Last edited by CheekyWit; 05-02-2011 at 03:57 PM.
CheekyWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #6  
Started IP - 4/11/2011

Thanks CheekyWit! Definitely trying that one!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #7  
09/15/10

S/C/G: 246.8/161.4/156

Height: 5'4 1/2

FirstdietVa: I have made this in the past it is pretty good and you can make it as spicy as you like or don't like.

Chicken Marsala

1 IP yogurt
Juice of half a lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger or 1 tsp. ground ginger
1 teaspoons salt
4 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-in pieces

Curry Sauce

1 tablespoon butter 0r

1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 tsp. ground cloves
1cup WF spaghetti sauce
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/4 tablespoons soy or almond milk sugar free
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

In a large bowl, combine yogurt, mix in lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and salt. Stir in the chicken, cover, refrigerate and allow the marriage to begin! Marinate for 1 hour.

In a large skillet, cook chicken in olive oil until cooked through about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Make your Curry Sauce by adding WF spaghetti sauce in the same skillet over medium high heat. jalapeno (optional) for 1 minute. Add cumin, paprika, cloves, and salt. Stir in milk to give it some a saucier consistence. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens. Add cooked chicken, and simmer for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with Kale chips (which are in another recipe on this forum), don't like vinegar so I make my own B BQ spice and sprinkle it on the Kale after I have the oil and salt on there.

Aromatic Basmati Rice

In a saucepan or rice cooker combine the following ingredients. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until all of the liquid is soaked up and the rice is tender. If using a rice cooker just add all ingredients and cook on low.
Enough to make four servings Cauliflower rice
1 shallot, finely chopped (I didn't use this)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground turmeric

1 t. ground cardamon
Juice of one lime

I know this was most likely not total on protocol, because of the almond milk I used had 5 crabs and 1 protein for 8oz.

But I figured it is better than going out and getting it form a Restaurant, and it may be just fine for other phases of IP.

If you try it I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, really cured the craving for something saucy and spicy.
ginBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #8  
Started IP - 4/11/2011

Hi all,

A friend of mine led me to this recipe for Gobi Manchurian (Cauliflower):

This is a clasic example of fast food made healthy

I did a bit of tweaking to Divya's recipie and here it is.. you can eat as much as you want and crave without thinking about calories

Ingredients
Cauliflower - 1 medium sized flower
Onion paste - 1 tbsp
garlic paste - 1 tsp
coriander powder - 1 tsp
Flour - 1/4 cup
Chilli powder - 5 tsp
Salt to taste
turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp

Bell Pepper / capsicum - 1 finely sliced
Garlic - 5 - 6 cloves finely chopped
Ginger - 1" piece - finely chopped
Tomato sauce - 1/2 tablespoon (optional)
Soy sauce - 1 tbsp
Chilli powder - 4 teaspoon
Oil - 2 teaspoons

Directions
Boil water in a vessel. Add little salt and turmeric powder to it.
Cut the cauliflower into small florets and put them in the boiling water. Cook for 3 - 4 mins.
Drain the water and pour cold water over the florets to prevent further cooking.

Make a thick batter with the maida, chilli powder, onion paste, garlic paste, coriander powder, salt and a little water. Coat the florets with the batter and transfer to a baking sheet.

Bake in a preheated oven at 250 C for about 20 - 25 minutes until it gets evenly browned. Toss the florets once in the middle while baking.

In a wok, heat the oil fry the garlic, ginger and capsicum.
Add the baked cauliflower.
Mix tomato sauce, salt, soy sauce and chilli powder in little water.
Add this to the wok. Mix well.
Serve hot.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #9  
joanne

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/155

this all sounds delicious but what is "cauliflower rice"?
jo2155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Thanks Showgirlaz! This is awesome! I will be trying these as well as sharing with my Indian friends who are doing the diet as well. I know it has been even tougher on them because they are used to eating traditional foods.
You're welcome It is hard to give up traditional foods. Another thing to adjust with Indian cooking is the oil/fat content. It should be fairly low per serving. Although, a bit of added fat ONCE in awhile will not be a big problem and can help some people.

I love Indian food and it wasn't something I was willing to give up entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyfer View Post
Subbing turnip for the potatoes is an interesting idea. I'm not having much luck enjoying my turnips (fries were limp, mash was yukky)...I'm definitely going to try it in Aloo Gobi. My favorite thing is saag paneer, but I guess it'll have to be the saag without the paneer.
I think turnips taste best roasted, in stews, or in very flavorful recipes. Roasting seems to make them a bit sweeter than normal.

Quote:
Hi all,

A friend of mine led me to this recipe for Gobi Manchurian (Cauliflower):

This is a clasic example of fast food made healthy

I did a bit of tweaking to Divya's recipie and here it is.. you can eat as much as you want and crave without thinking about calories
This sounds so yummy! I can't wait to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo2155 View Post
this all sounds delicious but what is "cauliflower rice"?
Cauliflower rice is a "faux" rice made by chopping/processing, or grating cauliflower fleurettes into rice size pieces. You then place it in a microwaveable bowl and microwave without added water for about 1 min. (some people suggest microwaving the cauliflower before chopping but, I haven't tried that method)

You can also saute it after processing, in a pan with a bit of oil, and make a stir fried rice.

Google faux rice, cauliflower rice, or read the recipes 2 thread for more ideas!
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #11  
joanne

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/155

cauliflower is on the shopping list that sounsd delicious! thanks
jo2155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #12  
Started IP Jan 6 2011

S/C/G: 214/160/160ish

Height: 5'9 current size 8 and some 6's --never ever been a 6 (not even in highschool)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo2155 View Post
cauliflower is on the shopping list that sounsd delicious! thanks
It is really good -- and if you use it to make a faux fried rice DELICIOUS even my picky sister who swears she cannot eat cauliflower ate it and didn't know it wasn't rice (hehehehehe)
CheekyWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #13  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Where can you get IP yogurt? We do not have any?
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote