Old 04-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152.4/138/125.5

Height: 5'4-1/2"

Default More info on the Big D

Hey everyone,

I'm still experiencing the big D for the 3rd week in a row but the weird thing is, I'm also feeling constipated. I'm a regular eliminator, usually 4 well formed stools per day. Not so on the IP diet. I'm averaging about one per day and it's always the big D. Last week I started noticing undigested veggies in my stools.

I looked info up on the web regarding this problem and almost all of the web pages I went to said it was a symptom of IBS. Now I know I don't have IBS or any other auto immune disorder, so I kept searching. Here's what I found:

"Doctors classify diarrhea as "osmotic," "secretory," or "exudative."

Osmotic diarrhea means that something in the bowel is drawing water from the body into the bowel. A common example of this is "dietetic candy" or "chewing gum" diarrhea, in which a sugar substitute, such as sorbitol, is not absorbed by the body but draws water from the body into the bowel, resulting in diarrhea.

Secretory diarrhea occurs when the body is releasing water into the bowel when it's not supposed to. Many infections, drugs, and other conditions cause secretory diarrhea.

Exudative diarrhea refers to the presence of blood and pus in the stool. This occurs with inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, and several infections."

Since I don't have exudative diarrhea, I'm pretty sure it falls under one of the other categories, probably Osmotic. Since the IP foods have artificial sweeteners in them, I'm thinking that's the culprit. I tried cutting back on the Cal/Mag supplements and it had no effect whatsoever.

This week I'm not going to use any of the dessert or sweet foods from the protocol and see what happens. Wish me luck!
lindacraig63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #2  
joanne

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/155

Height: 5'4"

good luck and keep us posted!
jo2155 is offline   Reply With Quote