Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #16  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

I exercised the entire time I did IP. I think inches and toning are more important than the number on the scale. I weigh 160, but people think I weigh much less because I am toned. At the beginning, I adjusted if it was too much cardio and kept my heartrate in check but did tons of weights and core work.

Keep exercising. Take walks and lift weights, do squats, tone those muscles, because muscle burns fat!!
carlasherea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 253.6/235.6/135

Height: 5'4"

The first time I did IP I either walked 3 miles a day or did the Wii Active low intensity. I lost 50 lbs. in three months. I just started exercising three days ago so I will have to let you know how this round goes. Hopefully I will have the same results Like someone mentioned before......everyone is different so I would try it a couple weeks and if it slows you down stop. I have a long ways to go but I have been watching all the infomercials on Zumba, P90X, and Insanity. I know this has nothing to do with the question but watching these infomercials gets me excited and helps keep me on track
SweetSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 228/174/155

Height: 5'9"

Default Questions About Knowing if You Are Losing Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionm View Post
It's interesting that we have had rather different results and just goes to show that we all do work differently.

When I started exercising by dancing 3-4 nights a week, my weight loss didn't slow, but I started losing muscle. I added protein in and my weight loss continued.

Yesterday, I started a hardcore weight workout, so we'll see what happens. (I have the sore muscles to show for the intensity!)
Hi,
What was it that tipped you off that you were losing muscle?
How much protein did you add? What was the guideline?
FitMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 159.8/137.6/114

Height: 5'2"

I really want to exercise...but am scared that I will get light headed since so little carbs.
Silado529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #20  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silado529 View Post
I really want to exercise...but am scared that I will get light headed since so little carbs.
Well, it really comes down to what you mean by "exercise". If you've slid over the number of people who walk as their form of exercise, then maybe you don't have many options left. But since you live in Florida and it isn't hot there now, I'd think this would be ideal. Work up to three miles a day, not necessarily all at once; then move to 5 miles if you can find the time. I have very low blood pressure and found that walking helped.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #21  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlasherea View Post
I exercised the entire time I did IP. I think inches and toning are more important than the number on the scale. I weigh 160, but people think I weigh much less because I am toned. At the beginning, I adjusted if it was too much cardio and kept my heartrate in check but did tons of weights and core work.

Keep exercising. Take walks and lift weights, do squats, tone those muscles, because muscle burns fat!!
This was me as well. I just cut my volume back.
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #22  
Started IP 01/10/11

S/C/G: 289.4/192.6/200

Height: 5'11"

I have not started exercising or lifting weights yet, but here is what I have been told by my coaches and my own primary doctor who lost 55# on IP. Do no more than 30 min of cardio workouts a day but at a lower pace/intesity. If you are feeling tired and exhausted when done, you have done too much.

As far as lifting weights, sure you can not be lifting heavy weights to really improve muscle mass on this diet, but you can do light weights and many reps to tone and firm up. Reps and light weights are the key until later phases of IP.

I believe this diet was originally designed for atheletes to "lean" up and improve their lean muscle mass. I am sure the diet has been modified for "general" use.

I would find it hard to believe that this diet forbids exercise, it could only benefit your health and body from what I have heard and read about. Just because you weight loss may have stalled, it does not mean that you aren't losing inches or building more lean muscle which in the long run will help you burn fat later on.

I find this diet to be too heavily marketed as a do nothing and just eat packets diet. Exercise done correctly while on IP I firmly believe will help your overall health and results in the end. After the diets are done, we all need to still be active and change that part of our lifestyle too, not just what we eat, but how we train and challenge our bodies.

I hope this does not anger anyone, just wanted to get some thoughts and information I have found. Exercise is good for all of us, we just have to find what works for us and not just rely on a scale saying we are lighter in pounds. Think of your overall health.
juiceman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #23  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman11 View Post
I have not started exercising or lifting weights yet, but here is what I have been told by my coaches and my own primary doctor who lost 55# on IP. Do no more than 30 min of cardio workouts a day but at a lower pace/intesity. If you are feeling tired and exhausted when done, you have done too much.

As far as lifting weights, sure you can not be lifting heavy weights to really improve muscle mass on this diet, but you can do light weights and many reps to tone and firm up. Reps and light weights are the key until later phases of IP.

I believe this diet was originally designed for atheletes to "lean" up and improve their lean muscle mass. I am sure the diet has been modified for "general" use.

I would find it hard to believe that this diet forbids exercise, it could only benefit your health and body from what I have heard and read about. Just because you weight loss may have stalled, it does not mean that you aren't losing inches or building more lean muscle which in the long run will help you burn fat later on.

I find this diet to be too heavily marketed as a do nothing and just eat packets diet. Exercise done correctly while on IP I firmly believe will help your overall health and results in the end. After the diets are done, we all need to still be active and change that part of our lifestyle too, not just what we eat, but how we train and challenge our bodies.

I hope this does not anger anyone, just wanted to get some thoughts and information I have found. Exercise is good for all of us, we just have to find what works for us and not just rely on a scale saying we are lighter in pounds. Think of your overall health.
I totally agree with every thing you are saying...I am in my 20th week. I walked for the first 14 weeks every day for 30-60 minutes, plus light activities on the Wii. The 15th and 16th week I progressly added intense exercise I gained a pound then stayed the same for 3 more weeks...depressing after such success. I have been back at it for a week with no exercise and have lost 7 more pounds.

I can't wait until every last pound is off...I already have personal training sessions lined up and have already purchased my gym membership. My point is that if you are crazy like me and need to see the scale go down (because your BMI is just too high) than the diet will work the fastest without the exercise and 100% protocol, but once it is off...exercise and good lifestyle eating will be crucial to long-term success.

This is only because I have learned a ton over the last 5 months from trial and error.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 187/168.6/145

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
I totally agree with every thing you are saying...I am in my 20th week. I walked for the first 14 weeks every day for 30-60 minutes, plus light activities on the Wii. The 15th and 16th week I progressly added intense exercise I gained a pound then stayed the same for 3 more weeks...depressing after such success. I have been back at it for a week with no exercise and have lost 7 more pounds.

I can't wait until every last pound is off...I already have personal training sessions lined up and have already purchased my gym membership. My point is that if you are crazy like me and need to see the scale go down (because your BMI is just too high) than the diet will work the fastest without the exercise and 100% protocol, but once it is off...exercise and good lifestyle eating will be crucial to long-term success.

This is only because I have learned a ton over the last 5 months from trial and error.
I actually think your walking and wii activities for the first 16 weeks are what helped you keep those great numbers. I thought you meant you had absolutely no exercise the first 16 weeks. You actually had a lot exercise going through but it didn't feel like it because you kept it low intensity which is really what we should be doing. If you see yourself stalling again you should definitely consider going back to the walking and wii because that definitely didn't hinder your weightloss. It's that heavy activity of muscle building that we all probably should keep to a minimum.
kcjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #25  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjohn View Post
I actually think your walking and wii activities for the first 16 weeks are what helped you keep those great numbers. I thought you meant you had absolutely no exercise the first 16 weeks. You actually had a lot exercise going through but it didn't feel like it because you kept it low intensity which is really what we should be doing. If you see yourself stalling again you should definitely consider going back to the walking and wii because that definitely didn't hinder your weightloss. It's that heavy activity of muscle building that we all probably should keep to a minimum.
My plan is to not do anything until I see a stall and then I will go back to my walks or wii. I had forgotten all about it because it was so casual and light.

So far this week without is 7 pounds down (but that is after 2 weeks on a phase 3 low carb plan). I did work out today with the personal trainer (I have paid for 4 more days...next 2 tuesdays and thursdays)...I just took it slowly
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #26  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMe View Post
Hi,
What was it that tipped you off that you were losing muscle?
How much protein did you add? What was the guideline?
My coach uses the electronic body fat analysis every time I weigh in and my husband, being the geek he is, did the calculations. It does make an assumption that the device is relatively accurate, but most of what I've read shows that at least it is consistent.

The other thing for me was that I could honestly tell I was getting weaker. I know that's hard to explain, but lifting things that used to be easy got more difficult.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #27  
1/6/14

S/C/G: 296/271/225

Well, I'm okay without the exercise for now. I do plan on starting once I get close to goal. I believe you can start gaining again as your metabolism adjusts to the low calorie intake. So for me, I think exercise will have to become a habit for phase III and maintenance.

One thing I'm concerned about, which may influence me to exercise earlier is loose skin. Does anyone have a point of view of this diet, loose skin and exercise? I guess if your losing inches and not pounds, that maybe loose skin as well?
Douger963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 165/165/130

Height: 5'5

Default Exercise or not?

So for me I have always been active so it's hard for me not to do any exercise. After reading the exercise thread the big thing is not over doing it. Nothing to intense. One of the postings talked about where to keep your heart rate i believe it was at 70% a moderate level.. if you go beyond that your body can overexert itself and go into startvation mode which will just starting packing away everything you eat to survive......Atleast this was my take from the posting on the exercise thread.

So as long as it's at a moderate level it should be fine but it really is upto you and what your goals are.....good luck everyone......
soccerdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #29  
Kathy

S/C/G: 165/120/120

Height: 5' 1"

During my first three weeks I did not exercise at all. During my forth week I added two days of cardio, 1 hour each day at 70% of my max heart rate. When I weighed in today I had the lowest weight loss so far. Might just be a coincidence but I think I am going to hold off on the exercise until I am farely close to my goal weight.
Alaskaipjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #30  

I walk 2 miles/3 times a week. from reading this thread will stop for 1st month on IP and then maybe add it back in.
deve67 is offline   Reply With Quote