Old 01-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #1  

Default Veggies

Does anyone have any ideas for the 2 cups of veggies. I have been having the steamfresh garlic cauliflower twice a day for my cups of veggies and I am not really diggin them anymore. Is there anyone that would help me come up with some more ideas?
Thank you!
harleygirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216.4/175.4/169

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleygirl22 View Post
Does anyone have any ideas for the 2 cups of veggies. I have been having the steamfresh garlic cauliflower twice a day for my cups of veggies and I am not really diggin them anymore. Is there anyone that would help me come up with some more ideas?
Thank you!
Once a week I buy a variety of veggies I like that are approved, cut them all up and measure 2C. Put them in ziplock baggies so I can just grab and go in the morning. I usually add these to my lunch salad or I add to a omlete for supper. I am a total grab and go type gal so I need to premeasure and have it ready or I won't do it. All it takes is one night a week so it's not too bad. I also love the mocktato salad, it makes a lot and usually lasts a few days.
annieann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

[QUOTE=harleygirl22;3665728]Does anyone have any ideas for the 2 cups of veggies. I have been having the steamfresh garlic cauliflower twice a day for my cups of veggies and I am not really diggin them anymore. Is there anyone that would help me come up with some more ideas?
Thank you![/QU

Check out the recipe thread there are leterally 100's of recipes there for veggies. YUM!!
ladyvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #4  

Thank you so much!!
harleygirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/158.3/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleygirl22 View Post
Thank you!
We bought a steamer at Walmart for about $20 and use it daily. Things we like to fix are:
slices of zucchini and yellow squash
radishes (taste a bit like new potatoes when steamed)
asparagus
broccoli (presoak in water that contains minced garlic and sea salt)
cabbage and snow peas
brussel sprouts

We also fix foil packets that contain zucchini, mushrooms and green onions, seasoned with Mrs. Dash, 2 tsp. EVOO and sea salt. Fold aluminum to seal in moisture and bake in 350 degree oven for approx. 15 minutes.

Use fresh or frozen brussel sprouts, slice in half, saute in 2 Tbs. EVOO for 10 minutes, then place in baking dish with 1/4 fat-free chicken broth, sprinkle with minced garlic and cover with foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes.

Saute fresh green beans in 2 Tbsp. EVOO over hot heat until turning brown at the tips. Add 1/4 cup lite soy sauce, garlic, onion powder, and mineral salt. Cover and let simmer over low heat until tender.

I hope this helps. Keeping a variety in your diet goes a long way to helping you stay on protocol. Good luck!

Last edited by rox824; 01-21-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo
rox824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox824 View Post
We bought a steamer at Walmart for about $20 and use it daily. Things we like to fix are:
slices of zucchini and yellow squash
radishes (taste a bit like new potatoes when steamed)
asparagus
broccoli (presoak in water that contains minced garlic and sea salt)
cabbage and snow peas
brussel sprouts

We also fix foil packets that contain zucchini, mushrooms and green onions, seasoned with Mrs. Dash, 2 tsp. EVOO and sea salt. Fold aluminum to seal in moisture and bake in 350 degree oven for approx. 15 minutes.

Use fresh or frozen brussel sprouts, slice in half, saute in 2 Tbs. EVOO for 10 minutes, then place in baking dish with 1/4 fat-free chicken broth, sprinkle with minced garlic and cover with foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes.

Saute fresh green beans in 2 Tbsp. EVOO over hot heat until turning brown at the tips. Add 1/4 cup lite soy sauce, garlic, onion powder, and mineral salt. Cover and let simmer over low heat until tender.

I hope this helps. Keeping a variety in your diet goes a long way to helping you stay on protocol. Good luck!
For those that are new. (according to the sheet my coach gave me) Peas are not allowed, too carby. Green beans and brussel sprouts are occasional veggies. Can't wait until I can eat alllll the veggies!!
ladyvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 216.4/175.4/169

I made veggie soup last night, I'm pretty excited to try it today - something new ... something that isn't salad! :P Although I will still have my salad with the soup I just won't add as many veggies to it. I just worry a bit about trying new foods, it seems like I'm doing good just sticking to salad for lunch I'd hate to add soup and stall out!? Hopefully it doesn't effect me.
annieann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #8  
started IP 1.11.11

S/C/G: 242/209/175

I have been bored with my salad and 2 cups of cucumber so I mixed it up today. I roasted 2 cups of fresh asparagus that was tossed in EVOO and sea salt. (400 degrees, 12 min) It was sooo yummy. My tummy is full and satisfied.
ash825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

I do a saute of spinach, mushroom, zuchinni. I season it with some garlic, sea salt, pepper. Then toss with a fresh spritz of lemon juice.

I also roast a big pan of 1c. broccoli, 1c. cauliflower, 10-12 spears asparagus, 1c. mushroom, 1 bulb fennel cut in wedges, 2 or 3 of baby turnip or baby rutabaga (you can use any size/age though as long as it is about 1c chopped)and about 4 cloves of garlic (whole in skin). (altogether it is about 8 cups of veggies so, I plan for 4 servings of the mix when done. I roast them at about 450 for 25 - 30 min; just til the veggies are soft and browned the asparagus is sometimes darker. Then remove the garlic from the skins, mash it, toss it with the veggies, sea salt, and pepper. You can also add a bit of finely chopped thyme, oregano, or rosemary to the veggies when cooking. I have used a lemon dijon dressing to top this with too. It is yummy. Because you get so many servings it is something I can put away and rewarm later.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #10  
IP with alternatives

S/C/G: 202/Ticker/140

Height: 5.4

I've only been on the program for two weeks now so I'm still learning. But everyweek after WI I go get my veggies for the week, come home and clean and cut them all that way they are ready to grab and use. This is one of my favorite parts of the program, trying new veggies.

Almost everynight I have a stir fry. I play around with the veggies I combine and seasonings I put in to make a differnt taste each night. Sometimes there are leftovers, as I'm cooking for my B/F as well so I don't measure the veggies, I take the left over for Lunch.

Right now I have an addiction to the Kale chips!

Keep experimenting, there are lots of ideas on the Receipes thread.
JCWilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #11  
Re-Started IP 1/17/12

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'1.5"

My husband likes okra (yuck!), so I'm cooking up some frozen cut okra with a bit of Rotel, onions, and shrimp for him tonight.
machbasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by machbasy View Post
My husband likes okra (yuck!), so I'm cooking up some frozen cut okra with a bit of Rotel, onions, and shrimp for him tonight.
I love okra! It is great if you add it to a stew. The goo that comes from the okra makes a great thickener for the gravy of the stew!

Besides pickled, I also like it Indian style all spiced up as a curry.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #13  

Just a cross post of something I shared on the topic in today's daily chat.

I actually got to a point I was tired of cooking every meal. I started making a big bowl of lettuce and a smaller bowl of mixed chopped veggies. I would just grab some from each, toss it and make my salads. It was faster.

I also roasted a large pan or two of veggies, then I would just re heat them.

Then, I prechopped and measured bags 2 cup mixed (or of one type):
broccoli, cauliflower, mushroom,
celery, snow pea, red pepper, onion,
asparagus,
bracollini, mushroom, onion,
bracolli rabe, rapini, mixed greens (dandelion/turnip/kale/mustard/collard/beet),
fresh spinach, red pepper, mushroom, onion
zucchini/yellow summer squash
cabbage, celery, onion, turnip, orange pepper
green beans, sometimes with red pepper and/or onion
shelled edamame, black soy beans, mushroom, celery, bean sprout, snow pea
bok choy, mushroom, onion

(any mixture that sounds appealing to you is good)

Then I could just reach in and grab a bag or 2 and make what I wanted in a steamer or saute. Not thinking about it for every meal, of every day was helpful.

I also would grill a bunch of veggies when I made chicken or meat and use those for a few days.

I also made use of pickled asparagus, pickled okra, pickled celery, pickled mushroom, or pickles. They were a nice change to munch on or have in salads.

I would roast radishes and asparagus too. That was a nice new thing.

I did grilled or broiled romaine and cabbage. I could season it with a bit of oil, sea salt, pepper and it was YUM. And, it was warm.

I made sauted cucumbers with dill. Also cucumber, tomato, onion salad with a Herbs/vinegar/oil/splenda type dressing.

If you haven't tried the turnip fries or rutabaga fries, they are worth doing for most people. The same goes for the kale. Others like zucchini chips.

I also made a pot of mixed vegetable soup. I would get my large stock pot out, put in my homemade chicken broth or low sodium broth and water. Then I added any mix of veggies including onion, tomatoes, garlic, celery, greens, summer squashes, zucchini, etc. I made sure I knew how many cups of veggies went in and figured each portion as 1c cup. If I wanted a cup it was 1 portion. If I wanted a bowl it was 2 portions. I then could have a meal with soup, salad, meat and vegetables. It was interesting and filling on days I was feeling more hungry.

I made rice and spanish rice, risotto, cous cous, and "mashed potatoes" from cauliflower.

I made "mashed potatoes" from turnip, rutabaga, a blend of both or a blend with cauliflower.

I made vegetable loaf, like meat loaf, with shredded, pulses or finely processed veggies, egg white, seasoning, and IP soup. Baked, sliced, and ate.

I made shredded zuchinni hash browns/pancakes.

I made stuffed veggies: cabbage, mushroom, tomato, eggplant

A modified ratatouille can be done.

I made a layered veggie dish, lasagna style, with strips of zucchini, eggplant, peppers, asparagus, portobello mushrooms, all layered together with olive oil, salt and pepper and baked.

I used lettuce (2 or 3 leaves each side) to make sandwiches, to wrap hamburger or chicken.

I grilled thick slices of egg plant or zucchini to make panini

I used mushroom caps to hold hamburger or turkey burger (small caps for sliders)

Get creative! There are lots of ways to work in veggies. I hope you find what works for you!

Last edited by showgirlaz; 01-21-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #14  
IP Success Story

S/C/G: 345.6 / 249 / 250

Height: 6 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I do a saute of spinach, mushroom, zuchinni. I season it with some garlic, sea salt, pepper. Then toss with a fresh spritz of lemon juice.

I also roast a big pan of 1c. broccoli, 1c. cauliflower, 10-12 spears asparagus, 1c. mushroom, 1 bulb fennel cut in wedges, 2 or 3 of baby turnip or baby rutabaga (you can use any size/age though as long as it is about 1c chopped)and about 4 cloves of garlic (whole in skin). (altogether it is about 8 cups of veggies so, I plan for 4 servings of the mix when done. I roast them at about 450 for 25 - 30 min; just til the veggies are soft and browned the asparagus is sometimes darker. Then remove the garlic from the skins, mash it, toss it with the veggies, sea salt, and pepper. You can also add a bit of finely chopped thyme, oregano, or rosemary to the veggies when cooking. I have used a lemon dijon dressing to top this with too. It is yummy. Because you get so many servings it is something I can put away and rewarm later.
Hey Carla what do you use in your lemon dijon dressing to make it or is it a premade.
couts71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by couts71 View Post
Hey Carla what do you use in your lemon dijon dressing to make it or is it a premade.
Not premade. I made it from scratch. Just a recipe somewhere on the internet I suppose. I constantly am finding them.

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup water
* 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 2 garlic cloves, minced

Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl, and stir with a whisk until well-blended.

It is for a romaine salad actually. But, I use it lots of other places.

I have another recipe that uses mustard, lemon and, thyme.

And a third recipe that uses lemon, mustard and, garlic.

PS... found it! This was a cooking light recipe from Oct 1997. It is for a romaine salad with croutons and cheese. I leave those off of course.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 01-22-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: found reference