Old 01-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #1  

Default The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein

Hi all, this is a flyer that was givin to me in my start up packet. It has really helped me, and I hope it will help one of you reading it that didn't get it when they started. Amy
The Real Costs of Cheating on the Idea Protein Program By Tom Ferguson

I was on the Ideal Program about a year ago. From December 1, 2006 to March 1, 2007 I lost 50+ Lbs. That was pretty amazing, but I could have done better.

How could I have done better? By not cheating, that's how. Oh, I didn't cheat big, but I still cheated. I didn't think it was a big deal, because I was still eating so much better than I did in the past. But I wasn't 100% compliant with the diet, so I was cheating. The thing is, I was only cheating myself.

So, is it ok to cheat? That depends. You have to answer that question for yourself. Before you can answer that question, you have to understand the real costs of cheating.

If you cheat one day on the diet, you might think to yourself, 'I've lost a day on the diet, but that isn't so bad.” Not true. First of all, you lost that day, but you also lost the “momentum” of the progress you made up to that point. If you get back on track immediately, then you will take at least one more day of compliance to get back to where you were before you cheated. It's like climbing a hill on a bicycle. If you stop pedaling for a period of time, you're going to roll backward. You will have lost ground, and it will take an equal period of time, or more, to gain back the ground you lost. So, one day of cheating, will cost you at least two days. In that week, instead of 7 days of progress, you will have only 5. Think about it.

Next, if you cheat a little on the Ideal Program you will still lose weight. That's a good thing, right? Well, yes and no. Yes because your objective is to lose weight, and that's good. But when you cheat, your pancreas has to work overtime again. Remember, weight loss is one of our goals, but equally important is to get our bodies functioning in a healthy state, and a healthy pancreas is essential to that.

From a psychological viewpoint, if you cheat and still make progress, you may think it is ok to cheat since there were no consequences. Next time it will be easier to cheat again, and perhaps you will cheat for two days instead of one. But there are consequences. You didn't make as much progress as you could have.

On the other side of the argument, if you absolutely have to have that one day of cheating as a “reward” or you can't stay on the Ideal Program, well the obvious choice is to cheat.

So, is it ok to cheat? You'll have to make the decision for yourself. Think about it and weigh the consequences. Just remember: when you cheat, you're not cheating anyone but yourself.
AmyonIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/158.3/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all, this is a flyer that was givin to me in my start up packet. It has really helped me, and I hope it will help one of you reading it that didn't get it when they started. Amy

Thank you so much for posting this! My husband and I have decided that I may be a "sleep eater." I don't consciously cheat, but sometimes there are little clues in the kitchen that someone has eaten after bedtime. From our losses, it's pretty obvious it is probably me! I don't remember eating, or even getting up!! Our house is nearly purged of "cheat" foods, except for a small cupboard for grandkid's visits. I guess that will need to go, too

Last edited by rox824; 01-06-2011 at 05:43 PM.
rox824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #3  
i love weight loss

S/C/G: 370/261.4/180

Height: 5'5

thanks for sharing. it was good info
krisbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #4  
Pat R

S/C/G: 219/209/175

Height: 5'6.5"

Thumbs up Thanks!

So right and so well written!! Thank you for sharing!
hawndragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #5  
Started IP Dec 4, 2010

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks Amy, I needed a good reminder.

Great pics!
Josephine216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #6  
Restarted on 01/10/17

S/C/G: 212/212/123

Height: 5'1"

Thanks, Amy! That is so true!
amylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for sharing this AmyonIP. I cheated one day over X-mas and I'm still paying for it. I didn't gain weight but my body has not reacted to IP the way it use to before that day. I have struggled for three weeks with cravings, hunger and days when it was not all 100% IP (small cheats I guess). Today I had a hard time during meetings at school. To top it off I'm coming down with a cold, my body aches and I have not been able to eat anything since lunch. I have just been drinking water and I think I'm going to try to have an IP bar. I did not start phase 2 today. But that's okay. I need to regroup and get my mind back into 100 % commitment mentality. My last visit to the clinic will be Saturday where I plan to get my last WI and messurements (too expensive and bad coaching). I'm still going to do IP but the next phases on my own with alternative products and the help of the best coaches in this forum.
Coqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #8  

Thanks for sharing. On November 1st, after 3 strict months, I had lost 70 pounds. Well for whatever reason, the next day I slipped...and for the past 2 months, i have struggled to get back on and stay on plan. I can go a day and then the next, I slip. So my advice to anyone who is considering a cheat, DON'T! I wish I had never had, and honestly if I hadn't slipped and my weight loss had continued at the rate I had been losing, I would be at goal. So it really cost me. However, it showed me that even though I had given up all carbs for 3 months and hadn't binged in that time frame, I still had issues.

I had a great on plan day today, tomorrow will be the test. I am believing I will be successful.
dodomommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 171.5/145/140

Height: 5'7"

Okay I confess.. I cheated. I don't seem to be able to sick to protocol when I am away from the house. I still have issues.. scary since I'm going to Cuba (country of carbs)for a month. My coach says have a fun vacation and we'll get back on track when I return... After cheating the craving comes back.. feeling hungry again. And not feeling as good. That feeling of well being has slipped away. But I will keep trying... only 7 more pounds to reach my goal.. so I wonder should I try to go to phase 2.. leaving on the 30th of Jan. or Just eat protein and carbs.. and exercise.... I want that feeling of well being again.. I was at the point where I thought I would feel "old" and that would be my life... but IP showed me different... Cheaters never prosper... it's true!
Lightweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #10  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightweight View Post
My coach says have a fun vacation and we'll get back on track when I return...
I think that's totally irresponsible. Maybe even mean. Is she/he just stringing you along? Sounds like a bid for a perminant client if you ask me (which of course, you didn't. But this got my goat.)
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightweight View Post
Okay I confess.. I cheated. I don't seem to be able to sick to protocol when I am away from the house. I still have issues.. scary since I'm going to Cuba (country of carbs)for a month. My coach says have a fun vacation and we'll get back on track when I return... After cheating the craving comes back.. feeling hungry again. And not feeling as good. That feeling of well being has slipped away. But I will keep trying... only 7 more pounds to reach my goal.. so I wonder should I try to go to phase 2.. leaving on the 30th of Jan. or Just eat protein and carbs.. and exercise.... I want that feeling of well being again.. I was at the point where I thought I would feel "old" and that would be my life... but IP showed me different... Cheaters never prosper... it's true!
Did eating protein and carbs with exercise work for you before??? If you totally ingnore protocol, now matter what if it is phase 1, 2, 3, or 4, just because you are going on vacation.....what about the next vacation? What about 'maintenaence'? Are you only going to do maintenance when you are at home? IF this is going to be your philosophy when you reach your goal will you have changed your relationship with food and are you truly on IP maintenance? or just another yo-yo diet?

Please take these questions with the feeling that I intented............to promote inner thought......
Best of luck on your journey
ladyvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #12  

great post by AMYONIP. Wanted to bump it up for us newbies to read.
deve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #13  
started IP: Jan 24th 2011

S/C/G: 195/173/125

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for sharing this.
it is sooo true!

Now, it's confession time...
I've had a pretty nasty IP slip this past Saturday...
Ate a small cheese pizza all by myself

I am sooooo mad at myself & embarrassed. But I felt that I should confess this horrible sin, instead of pretending as if it never happened.

I've been "bootcamping" it ever since & feel focussed. But weekends are soooo difficult since it's not as "routine" as weekdays and social engagements can be tricky, so much temptation all around. I think I've cheated at least 1 every single week (weekend) since I started IP in late January

But I must keep my eye on the prize!
Reading "The Real Costs of Cheating on the Idea Protein Program" has reaffirmed that I must commit 100%! No more faltering!
Ginger Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 143/125/115

Height: 5'2

I needed this.
xjennyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

What a great reminder that as easy as this can be to lose weight (if you follow the plan) it's also easy to mess up because it's not the old school "ate too many calories, I'll eat less/workout" it's complex biochemistry.

Thanks.
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote