What do you wish your coach had told you???

You're on Page 13 of 17
Go to
  • Quote: Did you have any problems with water retention? I am averaging 7-8 lbs in wt gain each night in water. My wt has been the same besides going up and down a few pounds the past 3 weeks minus the water. I have a dr appt tomorrow because this much water retention is not normal. I wonder if it's hormones.
    I'm drinking the right amount of water and I'm not having trouble with water retention. Hmm...I do keep everything really simple. I try to stick with the 1 tsp of olive oil and not 2. I also don't eat any of the restricted veggies and don't put milk in my coffee/tea. I also go with seasonings rather than condiments...though soy sauce is a weakness of mine (but I don't have the typical 1 tbsp serving I probably have a 1/2 tbsp). I'm 100% OP all the time...the only "cheat" I had was one day when I ate two restricted items...oops!

I hope the doctor is able to figure out what is happening to your body...whatever is causing your weight loss issues will resolve themselves eventually...though it's frustrating to work through it. Hang in there and your losses will catch up!
  • Thanks for the bump on this thread as it's been interesting reading.

I have two questions:

1. What fertility issues are mentioned? I read through my packet but didn't see anything regarding this topic?

2. My packet information mentioned allowing restricted bars/chips once I was in week 3 (old info?) so I haven't had any of this before now. Would you think that adding them in at this point would be helpful or harmful? I'm averaging about 3 pounds lost a week.

Thanks!
  • Quote: What I'm about to describe I figured out on my own BUT it would be really nice if coaches would discuss this with their clients as it may help them get rid of those last 10 lbs or so...here goes. I was at my last 15 pounds and was worried it would come off slowly so I decided to swap some of my IP foods (chocolate drinks for cap drinks and chocolate bars for chocolate drinks) to decrease my carb and calorie intake. Well it worked one week I lost 2.4 lbs and the next 4 lbs. The following week I went back to the bars but instead of drinking 14 chocolate drinks I swapped 7 of them for the cap drink (still decreasing my carb instake and calories). I also minimized the amount of condiments I used and it worked. My weight is dropping pretty quickly and I only have 8 to go. When I told my coach my strategy she said it was a good one...I thought why don't you tell your clients to do this to help them towards the end of their journey...

Good luck to you all. This diet really does work really well. Stay 100% OP and the results are sure to surprise you!!!
    I have meet my first goal but I am trying to get down 5 pounds to give me some leeway in maintenance.
    I am going down about half a pound a week, I will phase off when I lose 3 more pounds. reducing everything would likely speed this up.

But personally I think for me it is best to keep things as close as possible to how I would be eating in maintenance. That way my body won't have a big shock when I start to gradually add some carbs back. I have been on many low carb diets over the years. Each time as soon as I added any carbs back I regained all the weight instantly. So this time I have been taking all the allowed carbs right from the beginning.
    Hopefully that will make phasing off and maintenance won't be such a big change from the way I have already been eating.
    Pat
  • Quote: I'm drinking the right amount of water and I'm not having trouble with water retention. Hmm...I do keep everything really simple. I try to stick with the 1 tsp of olive oil and not 2. I also don't eat any of the restricted veggies and don't put milk in my coffee/tea. I also go with seasonings rather than condiments...though soy sauce is a weakness of mine (but I don't have the typical 1 tbsp serving I probably have a 1/2 tbsp). I'm 100% OP all the time...the only "cheat" I had was one day when I ate two restricted items...oops!

I hope the doctor is able to figure out what is happening to your body...whatever is causing your weight loss issues will resolve themselves eventually...though it's frustrating to work through it. Hang in there and your losses will catch up!

I hope so!! Thank you!!
  • Quote: Thanks for the bump on this thread as it's been interesting reading.

I have two questions:

1. What fertility issues are mentioned? I read through my packet but didn't see anything regarding this topic?

2. My packet information mentioned allowing restricted bars/chips once I was in week 3 (old info?) so I haven't had any of this before now. Would you think that adding them in at this point would be helpful or harmful? I'm averaging about 3 pounds lost a week.

Thanks!
    I am not sure about your fertility question but I have been having 1 restricted since day 1 and it has not slowed my weight loss. My doctor is still starting people on 1 restricted each day at the beginning and 5 oz. of meat at dinner unless it is seafood.
  • Quote: Glad I could help! It worked for me and hopefully it will work for others. Since I didn't have my bars for most of last week when I picked them up today at my WI I quickly had one on my way home (as it was my lunch time) and it was so awesome!!!
    They are tasty...I agree!! Just want to keep the weight falling off week to week. I only have a bar if I go extra hard at the gym otherwise strict packages and low carb veggies like spinach and asparagus!
  • Bump. I remember reading this as a "newbie" and it was helpful. Now I'm going to give myself a refresher and read it again...

• Quote:
    I'm still being pretty strict with the diet. If i want something different i'll have half a restricted bar for snack (i'll have my two non-restricted packets throughout the day). I'm drinking a ton of plain water and getting in all my supplements and oil. I weighed myself this morning and have not noticed a change in my weight since Friday (not close to my TOM either). I'm getting pretty irritated/upset.
    Here's what I found out. Your stats struck me - we're very similar in that, so I am responding. What matters in my case is my salt intake. I have reduced it considerably, and have finally started seeing the weight loss I am supposed to. Did you try that?
  • Quote: Im glad I read this... I did the whole "no restricted foods for first 2-3 weeks" and I'm going to pick up my 4th weeks food tomorrow.. I'm going to try and stay away from them now! Or limit myself to one or two a week!
    My coach told me I had to have 2 non restricted and 1 restricted EVERY DAY from day one.

I'm the one who went against the coach and refused to eat the restricted. I'm diabetic, with high blood sugars (non insulin but on Metformin), and when I'd eat a restricted, my blood sugars would spike, which kind of goes against what this diet is all about.

I'm into week 5 now, I do not eat any restricted (except maybe one every 2 weeks when I need a "chip fix" because I SO miss potato chips) and I'm losing about 2 lbs a week, which my coach thinks is not good, but it's really good for me. PCOS, diabetic.

Also, I have to only eat the low-sodium choices, and do NOT use the extra salt per day because I have a heart condition. I am going to speak to my GP this month about the water consumption, because I think it's too high for someone with water retention issues.

What I've learned is that the coaches know less about general nutrition than I do. I've lived with diabetes (and my other issues) for a good long while, and know what my body can take and what it can't. I've had to "make my own rules" on this diet.

I also wish there were more outlined rules about how many grams fat and how many grams carbs are supposed to be consumed on the diet. With my online research, it's somewhere between 20-40 carbs a day. But that's a huge difference! And this diet doesn't seem to deal with net carbs, which only makes sense. Since I don't eat the restricted foods, at least 75% of my carbs a day comes from veggies.

The only fat I seem to get is the 2 tsp of grape seed oil I use each day. If there were better guidelines, it would be easier to know if I'm doing everything correctly, and the trial and error I have to do to work around my health issues would probably be easier.

When I first began the diet, I asked the coaches specific questions, and was told "Follow the plan and it will work." Well, no, not for me. Not properly, and not healthfully. I'd lose weight, but I wouldn't have the benefits that I'm looking for, such as the lower blood sugar readings. (BTW, the last 3 weeks I've had all NORMAL readings, which makes me VERY VERY HAPPY)

My skin is flaky and cracking dry, especially my face. I assume this is from lack of fats. I have to use Smooth Move tea to stay even semi-regular. And I already anticipate the hair loss, because it happened to me last time I was on a low calorie diet.

I was not warned about my body going into "starvation" mode if I forgot something like the oil, which happened to me in week 3. If you thought induction was bad... And you don't lose when your body is hoarding everything it takes in because it thinks it's dying.

My coach says NO exercise, but I have started walking (when the weather permits) because I have 80lbs to lose, and if I sit on my butt for the year it will take me to lose that weight, it doesn't matter how much protein I eat, I will lose muscle mass. I totally get why you don't do strenuous exercise on this diet, but telling me NO exercise seems really off. Actually, I was told a walk "once in a while" was okay. When winter ends, I plan on getting my daily walk in.

I know I'm new to the diet, just over a month on, but I've had to do a lot of research on my own and trial and error to make things work for me. I'm happy with 2lbs a week loss, and will stick it out.

One last thing. I also agree with the post that said eating out gets boring. Grilled chicken breasts can only be made so many ways, and I'd rather make it at home for a couple of bucks, rather than paying $10+ for chicken breast and salad at a restaurant!
  • Quote: I was not warned about my body going into "starvation" mode if I forgot something like the oil, which happened to me in week 3. If you thought induction was bad... And you don't lose when your body is hoarding everything it takes in because it thinks it's dying.
    This is not how the body works. Not even close. Whomever told you this ... has no clue.
  • You Are Awesome! I Laughed Out Loud Reading This! They Should Add It To The P1 Sheet
    Quote: WOW!
    - you aren't allowed the occasional veggies til 70% lost (just my coach's rule)
    - you aren't allowed the restricted foods until you reach goal (just my coach's rule)
    - your birth control may be interfered with
    - you may lose your hair, A LOT of your hair
    - you will become constipated
    - your skin could become dry, cracked, and bleeding
    - you will get bored with the food, the veggies, the routine... stick with it
    - it will be hard to treat a cold if you get one because of sugar in medicine
    - some of your prescriptions will effect your average weight loss
    - you will not lose 3 - 5 pounds every week it may or may not even be your average if you are on the program more than 3 months.
    - your menstrual cycle will go through changes and may not be what you expect
    - you will feel horrible at times as your body adjusts and corrects, but you will get through if you stick it out
    - you may reach a point you gag on the salads you have to eat
    - you will crave things you have never liked and come to hate things you use to love
    - you will have strange dreams of eating off plan foods
    - eating out will become boring because it will feel like you can only eat the same things, ANYWHERE
    - you will want to walk up to strangers and tell them all about how Ideal Protein can change their life... think twice before you act on that impulse.
    - you will have times that you will lose many more inches than pounds and that is OK! Weight loss is not just about the number on the scale but how your body shape is changing and how your clothes fit.
    - You will want to give up. DON'T! Write down your reason and inspiration for doing this today and read it everyday until you get to your goal.

That is just a few that came to my mind! I guess there was a lot I wish I was told!
    LOVE THIS
  • Thanks for sharing experiences
    I so wish I would have found this great forum when I started IP in November. You all are great! My "coach" really told me nothing - except cost of food and required weekly visits, which I found at the first weigh in cost extra because the clinic was getting a computer program for clients to log into from home. That was never discussed or mentioned when I signed up. I've never met with the chiro who runs the clinic. Coach was a young gal with good intentions, very sweet, but didn't have too much good advice that helped. Nov. was a waste of money. I had a lot of stress personally, with work, and trying to do the diet with little help wasn't working. I kept cheating - my choice and fault i know but I wish I would've had more support and input on how to handle the hunger initially and other stuff. I gave up for December since I was fed up and wasting $$$. By way of background - I'm 46, started at 126.9, 5'0. Goal is 105-107. In January I committed myself to doing IP, bought food from the clinic, had 2 weigh ins then said I'm on my own. Coach never looked at journal more than once and didn't have suggestions for veggies or anything else really. I'm finally at 112.8. I'm walking 30 minutes a day, eating 1 restricted and 2 non, 8oz ptotein, 4 cps veggies, getting in water, salt, oil, and supplements. I added 2 egg whites as well because of exercise. Found a site that sells IP and order faithfully. I have surgery in a week and am scared of the gain with IV fluid and all but don't intend to stray from the protocol. I'm going to keep reading all your great posts and reach my goal! Thanks for being an inspirational group!
  • Quote: Here's what I found out. Your stats struck me - we're very similar in that, so I am responding. What matters in my case is my salt intake. I have reduced it considerably, and have finally started seeing the weight loss I am supposed to. Did you try that?
    We are similar in stats. However, this post was from almost three years ago (my first round on IP). I'm back on track now and losing, although slowly. I feel like i have a much better advantage on IP the second time around. I know what works, doesn't work and how to keep myself on track knowing the results i will have. As far as the salt, i don't use a ton of it in general, but even when i do, i haven't noticed a change in losses.
  • Quote: I so wish I would have found this great forum when I started IP in November. You all are great! My "coach" really told me nothing - except cost of food and required weekly visits, which I found at the first weigh in cost extra because the clinic was getting a computer program for clients to log into from home. That was never discussed or mentioned when I signed up. I've never met with the chiro who runs the clinic. Coach was a young gal with good intentions, very sweet, but didn't have too much good advice that helped. Nov. was a waste of money. I had a lot of stress personally, with work, and trying to do the diet with little help wasn't working. I kept cheating - my choice and fault i know but I wish I would've had more support and input on how to handle the hunger initially and other stuff. I gave up for December since I was fed up and wasting $$$. By way of background - I'm 46, started at 126.9, 5'0. Goal is 105-107. In January I committed myself to doing IP, bought food from the clinic, had 2 weigh ins then said I'm on my own. Coach never looked at journal more than once and didn't have suggestions for veggies or anything else really. I'm finally at 112.8. I'm walking 30 minutes a day, eating 1 restricted and 2 non, 8oz ptotein, 4 cps veggies, getting in water, salt, oil, and supplements. I added 2 egg whites as well because of exercise. Found a site that sells IP and order faithfully. I have surgery in a week and am scared of the gain with IV fluid and all but don't intend to stray from the protocol. I'm going to keep reading all your great posts and reach my goal! Thanks for being an inspirational group!
    Hi Elle, welcome to 3FG! Make sure you post on the daily thread...more people will see it that way! You've done an amazing job staying OP without any support...now that you've found this site, you'll get all the support you need and lots of great advice and recipes!
  • bump