Ideal Protein Diet - December Chat

You're on Page 11 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: I've never used the ketostix so I'm not sure. the carb blocker I bought is called MetaSlim (I bought mine at WalMart). They're supposed to be a "carb neutralizer & fat blocker, 100% natural non-stimulant". The ones I bought are in a capsule - phaseolamin, also called Phase 2 is a white kidney bean extract. I've read about them a couple of times in First Magazine and I tried them quite a while ago under the name Phase 2 but didn't stick with them. Maybe they just made me feel not so glum about not being able to eat anything and feeling powerless to stay on the plan. Especially since i hadn't cheated once.

here's my latest challenge - my husband and teenage sons are very supportive but the rest of my family hasn't said a word to me. they all know I'm on this diet and I've lost 20 lbs so you can definitely notice but they just don't say a thing - no encouragement, support or anything. Except a couple of times they'll slip something in like - oh you can't eat tomatoes on "that" diet or how are you going to go off a diet like that. After, I think of what I should have said but hindsight is 20/20. They heard some gossip and they'd rather listen to that than just ask me and because they don't say anything I don't get any opening to call them on their attitudes. Other people have said such nice things and I know I shouldn't let it but, it really hurts my feelings. i think it's just kind of mean. It's late and I'm kind of acting like a whiner. thank goodness for this group and the support you all give.
    Hang in there Mom22. Perhaps your family just loves you the way you are and doesn't understand your goals for dieting. When I said I was going on a diet my whole familly said why? Given they are supportive, but still. Let your family know that you need their support!! Perhaps they just aren't responsive and you want responsive support? I explained that I haven't weighed this much since high school, and that I'm unhappy with the way I look and need to lose weight in order to feel better about myself. They all listened and have given their support...heck even my SIL cooked low carb for me for thanksgiving. Talk with them Mom22, you have nothing to lose by trying (you can't win the lottery if you don't play).
  • Quote: Just something I ran across I figured I should share. Gives you the exact steps one should follow during all 3 phases from Dr. Tien himself.

http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique27
    I re-read the phase 1 info, thanks Princass, I know now that having an afternoon snack instead of an evening snack is a-okay.
  • I had a conversation with my husband the other day that really shocked me! I have nearly always wieghed more than him and he has always incouraged me to lose weight but when I told him I wanted to lose another 20 or 30 Lb's he actually said that he thought that might be too much! Let me tell you that was an exciting moment in my life. It actually made me want to try even harder because if he thinks I look good now, baby just you waite.
  • You go vallygirl! My mom said the same thing when I told her what I want to get down to. What is it with us people getting skinny eh?
  • I'm trying to post a tracker....

• Welcome to everyone who has just started IP. You are all doing so well! I started on Oct. 23 and have now lost 18 pounds! I've had some challenges..a planned cheating weekend right after I first began and then was sick for a few days and then of course Thanksgiving. But all in all, I'm very happy with my loss and feel great! And I've gone down from a Plus 2X top and size 18 jeans - to Plus 1X or XXL and size 16 jeans!
  • Thanks Ogdog13 - you're right - at some point I'm just going to have to get over it and ask them flat out for their support.

Maybe I need to take a page from my 17 year old son - he's supportive (in a grunting kind of way) he's into jujitsu and knows about "making weight", eating healthy and has even tried to drink up my chocolate drinks. He asked how much I had lost - when I told him, he said - don't take it personally but you kind of look the same. just the way he said it made me realize that he didn't see me as fat before and to him I look like the same. I guess most other people (there are some exceptions) don't look at us as negativly as we look at ourselves.
  • Quote: I've never used the ketostix so I'm not sure. the carb blocker I bought is called MetaSlim (I bought mine at WalMart). They're supposed to be a "carb neutralizer & fat blocker, 100% natural non-stimulant". The ones I bought are in a capsule - phaseolamin, also called Phase 2 is a white kidney bean extract. I've read about them a couple of times in First Magazine and I tried them quite a while ago under the name Phase 2 but didn't stick with them. Maybe they just made me feel not so glum about not being able to eat anything and feeling powerless to stay on the plan. Especially since i hadn't cheated once.

here's my latest challenge - my husband and teenage sons are very supportive but the rest of my family hasn't said a word to me. they all know I'm on this diet and I've lost 20 lbs so you can definitely notice but they just don't say a thing - no encouragement, support or anything. Except a couple of times they'll slip something in like - oh you can't eat tomatoes on "that" diet or how are you going to go off a diet like that. After, I think of what I should have said but hindsight is 20/20. They heard some gossip and they'd rather listen to that than just ask me and because they don't say anything I don't get any opening to call them on their attitudes. Other people have said such nice things and I know I shouldn't let it but, it really hurts my feelings. i think it's just kind of mean. It's late and I'm kind of acting like a whiner. thank goodness for this group and the support you all give.
    I'm so sorry, that your family is not very supportive. Sometimes our families are the biggest challenge when it comes to any changes in our lives. They just see us differently than others do. They also know us too well, I think. So, just try to ignore the negativity and focus on what you know to be true....that you are in this for the long haul, that you are doing this for yourself and that you will succeed!!!
    We are here for you!
  • Quote: Thanks Ogdog13 - you're right - at some point I'm just going to have to get over it and ask them flat out for their support.

Maybe I need to take a page from my 17 year old son - he's supportive (in a grunting kind of way) he's into jujitsu and knows about "making weight", eating healthy and has even tried to drink up my chocolate drinks. He asked how much I had lost - when I told him, he said - don't take it personally but you kind of look the same. just the way he said it made me realize that he didn't see me as fat before and to him I look like the same. I guess most other people (there are some exceptions) don't look at us as negativly as we look at ourselves.
    Also, don't forget that when people see you all the time they won't see the gradual weight loss Mom22. It took my friends not seeing me a month to notice that I lost weight, where as my family doesn't see it at all until I wear something old that is really baggy. LOL. And yes, we are most critical of ourselves!
  • Quote: Link to Dr. TranTiens E-Book. Free download
    http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique28
    Thanks! I can now read this book for the first time!
  • Quote: Don't listen to these people. I find the ones working really hard to discourage me are the ones who don't want to face how much weight they really have to lose. My whole thing is, "If I've never said anything to you about your weight, and I don't even bring up my diet, why do feel the need to counsel me? I just say thanks and then ignore them. It's their problem.
    Thanks! I find it very interesting how people are reacting to the "new" me and I'm not even done yet. Look out world!
  • Quote: Welcome to everyone who has just started IP. You are all doing so well! I started on Oct. 23 and have now lost 18 pounds! I've had some challenges..a planned cheating weekend right after I first began and then was sick for a few days and then of course Thanksgiving. But all in all, I'm very happy with my loss and feel great! And I've gone down from a Plus 2X top and size 18 jeans - to Plus 1X or XXL and size 16 jeans!

Congrats on your loss! Your doing very well. I started on Oct 24 and have had no cheats....Totally on track and have only lost 20lbs. So 18lbs with a planned cheat is wonderful. Keep it up
  • Quote: If you haven't tried the new IP cookies and cream bars .....OMG they don't even taste like a protein bar...very good! The soy puffs are great on a salad, like croutons.

Holy Cookie....That NEW cookies and cream bar sounds Amazing!!
  • I'm going on vacation from 12/26-1/02 and will not have IP. Totally freaking out. I have been searching for a dealer in the area I'm going but no luck. I think with all the airline security that it will be more problems/stress then I want. I don't know. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Lilita, I found a couple of pumpkin recipes online that you might be interested in:

Pumpkin Granola Bars
    Ingredients
    • 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
    • 1 egg
    • 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
    • 1/4 cup honey
    • 2 tbsp molasses
    • 2 cup rolled oats
    • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
    • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    • 2 tbsp shredded, unsweetened coconut
    • 1/4 cup wheat germ
    • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions
    Blend the pumpkin, egg, butter, honey, and molasses in a mixing bowl or food processor.
    Add the oats, sunflower seeds, nuts, coconut, wheat germ, and cinnamon, mix well.
    Spread this mixture into a lightly greased 15 1/2-by-10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan.
    Bake in a 350*F oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown. While still warm, cut into 3-by-1 1/2-inch bars.
    For very crisp bars, remove from pan to wire rack and cool completely.
    Makes about 30 bars.

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 30
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 87.4
    Total Fat: 5.4 g
    Cholesterol: 11.3 mg
    Sodium: 16.0 mg
    Total Carbs: 8.9 g
    Dietary Fiber: 1.4 g
    Protein: 2.1 g

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spiced Pancake
    Ingredients
    • 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    • 4 tsp baking pwder
    • 1 tsp baking soda
    • .5 tsp ground nutmeg
    • .5 tsp ground ginger
    • .25 cup brown sugar
    • 1 egg yolk
    • 2 cups skim milk
    • 1 cup canned pumpkin
    • 3 TBSP apple butter
    • 3 egg whites
    Directions
    1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.

2. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolk, pumpkin, brown sugar, and apple butter. Stir in milk until well-blended.

3. All at once, add milk mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.

4. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until light and fluffy (you can use a fork, whisk, or electric beater for this). Fold egg whites into batter.

5. Ladle batter by 1/4 cup amounts onto a preheated nonstick griddle lightly sprayed with cooking spray, Cook until evenly browned on both sides.

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 20
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 74.3
    Total Fat: 0.5 g
    Cholesterol: 10.7 mg
    Sodium: 176.3 mg
    Total Carbs: 15.1 g
    Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
    Protein: 3.2 g

Pumpkin Frittata
    Ingredients
    • 1 medium sweet potato (8 oz), peeled and sliced
    • 1 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 lg carrot, shredded
    • 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 2 whole eggs
    • 3 egg whites
    • 1/2 cup canned solid-packed pumpkin puree' or freshly cooked pumpkin
    • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp pepper
    • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
    • 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
    Directions
    Cook sweet potato in boiling water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain well.
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    In a large, nonstick, oven-safe skillet, warm 1 tsp of oil over medium heat.
    Add carrot, scallions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until carrot is tender, about 5 minutes.
    Set aside to cool slightly.
    In a medium bowl, stir together whole eggs, egg whites, pumpkin puree', ginger, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
    Stir into carrot mixture.
    In the same skillet, warm remaining 2 tsp oil over medium heat.
    Add sweet potato and stir to coat.
    Spoon egg/carrot mixture on top and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
    Cook until bottom is set, about 5 minutes.
    Transfer skillet to oven and bake until frittata is set, about 10 minutes. Serve in wedges from skillet.

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 4
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 203.9
    Total Fat: 10.6 g
    Cholesterol: 122.7 mg
    Sodium: 481.3 mg
    Total Carbs: 7.0 g
    Dietary Fiber: 1.7 g
    Protein: 13.0 g

Pumpkin Smoothie
    Ingredients
    • 1/2 cup lightly sweetened chai tea concentrate (Oregon Trail or Tazo work nicely)
    • 1/2 Libby's 100% pure pumpkin puree
    • 1/2 Almond Breeze - Unsweetened Vanilla
    • 2 scoops Aria Vanilla Women's Protein Powder
    • 1/2 cup ice
    • 1 packet splenda
    • 1/2 tbs pumpkin pie spice (or just add cinnamon & nutmeg to your liking)
    Directions
    blend all together with 1/2 cup ice and enjoy!

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 1
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 171.5
    Total Fat: 3.0 g
    Cholesterol: 2.0 mg
    Sodium: 197.3 mg
    Total Carbs: 12.2 g
    Dietary Fiber: 7.5 g
    Protein: 14.0 g