General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Help...Sugar addict needs advice!

Okay, so I just started on 10/30. I set a mini-goal to lose 4 lbs. and get to 159.

I wasn't going to eat any halloween chocolate, but eventually gave-in. Then Saturday and Sunday I had alcohol and cookies. Back on the sugar train. I need to jump off!

In the past I have been able to abstain from sugar when doing a "detox/cleanse", so I will try that again as a way to get back on track. It is not a starvation cleanse, it is simply an internal organ cleanse, which helps me to detox from sugar, caffeine, etc. While on the cleanse I can only eat lean meats, veggies, fruit, whole grains. You know, normal food! I will start the cleanse on Wednesday because that is when I get paid.

I appreciate any feedback or stories on how you abstain from sugar. Today is a new day. I woke up early and did 45 minutes of yoga and meditation. Just for today I will abstain from sugar!

Thank you!
AshliRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #2  

I think abstaining from sugar is extremely difficult, even when you feel you are addicted to it. But there are some tips I follow that really help, and I know I too have a problem with a lot of sugar (though not specifically chocolate).

1. Keep the sugar away! This is the single most important one for me. If there are pastries around, I am far more tempted to eat them... If you truly have a problem with sugar, then you need to take this seriously. If you live with your family speak with them and let them know this is a serious problem for you and you'll need them to keep their sugar to themselves and nowhere near you (where you can see it/know about it) if that's something they'd like to indulge in.

2. Don't let myself get hungry or thirsty or sleepy!!! If I have gotten a good night;s sleep, I am hydrated and filled up with "healthy" good food, then I am much less likely to crave sugar. Exercising also seems to help with this.

3. Accept failure and have a plan. If I fail, I try to do so gracefully... if there is an apple pie lets say, and I end up eating some, I try to eat less than I want to. That might still be a lot. Then I deal with the fact that I've eaten more than I'd like to and I get over it right away. I don't let the "failure" seep into the next day and the next one. The journey of weight loss or even maintenance is not going to be in a straight line...

That's what works for me personally. Of course, my mood really affects my sugar intake as well, but I just do my best and try to forgive myself as soon as possible. I don't think cleanses are a sustainable way to lose weight or "clean" your system.
healthyhotfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #3  

Studies have shown that abstaining from a food is more likely to lead to bingeing on it. There really isn't any science behind cleanses- our organs do a very good job of detoxifying the body without any help from juices, strict eating, or colon irrigation. What if you let yourself have a little bit of sugar each day as a treat? Just cutting out sugar probably isn't going to make you drop weight. Letting yourself have some without guilt is a more gentle way to prevent a binge.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #4  

I cut out one thing at a time re sugar. I stopped soda for a few months and continued everything else as normal. Then I cut out chocolate. Then 2 weeks later I cut out chips (because they were a trigger for me) then I increased my fruit intake and then I cut out all added sugar. It took months, but slowly I have weened myself off it and honestly I don't have any problem with soda or chocolate or chips anymore, the rest is still a bit of a challenge but not too bad. Maybe try starting with your biggest sugar trigger and take it a step at a time, moving to the next step only once you feel in control of that one and the ones before. For soda I look at it like cigarettes as a non smoker, just no desire. Good luck
Valmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 164/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Wow! Thank you all so much. Those are some really good suggestions.

healthyhotfit: I really appreciate what you said about keeping the sugar out of sight and not being hungry, thirsty, or sleepy. That is a really good point. I actually haven't had time to go to the health food store to pick it up and I may skip doing that.

Locke: I really appreciate what you said about cleanses and about quitting all sugar. I can see how that can lead to a binge. It makes perfect sense!

Valmore: Thanks for your input. I like the idea of eliminating one item at a time. I haven't binged this week and haven't had any sugar as far as cookies, cake, ice cream, etc. So I will start there. Then I will cut out another "trigger" item, etc., so I'm not depriving myself so much that I give in and binge again.

A good week so far. As of Monday, I have been doing Kundalini yoga and meditation every day for at least 45 minutes. Interestingly, I have also started going to bed earlier because I was having trouble wanting to get up in the morning to exercise. Now I sleep more and feel rested in the morning. I am also drinking more water because my body is asking for it. So there it is. Kundalini yoga is so good for the internal organs, addictions, past issues, and so much more. My muscles are sore for the first time in years and I am craving yoga and meditation now. I think this new practice is also causing me to desire eating healthier in order to continue nourishing my mind, body, and spirit!

Thanks again for all your support.
AshliRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #6  

The minute you tell yourself you can't have something is when you'll crave it most. It's amazing how sugar will lose its appeal when you allow yourself to have it without guilt...sugar won't have a power over you anymore. I know it's hard to believe!
CountryLiving is offline   Reply With Quote