General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/ticker/145

Height: 5ft. 6 in.

Default Ketogenic diet

Has anyone here successfully tried the ketogenic diet? I tried it for about a month and lost 10 lbs, but fell off the wagon.
chouku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 317/170/157

Height: 5'6"

I have been trying to do a more keto diet, but only today actually calculated what my macros should be to put me into ketosis and I am terrified. The idea of me eating so much fat is soooooo scary. Also I am allergic to nuts so that takes away a really healthy fat for me. I heard its not great to use dairy as your fats. I also the calculator said that I should do 10%carbs, 30% protein and 60% fat. I've done some research and I get it, but it still scares me bc inherently it just seems like sooooo much fat. Does these macros seem right. I used some website called keto calculator
kiwi1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #3  
Bride to be!

S/C/G: HW: 208 188/ticker/160

Height: 5'-6"

I just had this exact same conversation with a coworker... Honestly it seems completely terrifying to me. Eating that much fat! But then again it's like what do you have to lose? If you lost 10 lbs in a month that's fantastic. One thing I have heard about that diet is that when you go back to your "normal" eating of carbs and such (if that is your normal way of eating), the weight piles right back on. Whether that is true or not I have no idea, and I'm sure if someone was watching carefully then they probably won't have to worry about putting the weight back on... But I'd be nervous about it. Maybe I should read more about the state of ketosis.
rustylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #4  

You may find this interesting: https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/research-approved-carb-cycling

It effectively talks about a study that suggests that a variation of a 5:2 strategy can have the same level of fat loss as a fully ketogenic diet.

I think ketosis is useful for therapeutic purposes, but I would really struggle to follow it in perpetuity. Personally, I prefer to structure eating strategies that I can follow for the rest of my life. So I'm never really 'on' or 'off' a diet, and am just always eating well. I think that 5:2 would be something easier to maintain long term.

My 2cents, feel free to discuss/disagree/continue the conversation!

Last edited by Defining; 01-06-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote