General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #16  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Well, I have just bought enough canned goodies to last a year. My current faves are Riga Gold smoked sprats. But I haven't tried the other stuff yet!
I might take a photo of my work lunch stash once it is all set up. You will be surprised/freaked out!

Pickled eggs? I need to look into that...

Last edited by IanG; 07-29-2013 at 08:54 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Well, I have just bought enough canned goodies to last a year. My current faves are Riga Gold smoked sprats. But I haven't tried the other stuff yet!
I might take a photo of my work lunch stash once it is all set up. You will be surprised/freaked out!

Pickled eggs? I need to look into that...

Where I grew up, pickled proteins were fairly common as bar snacks. Eggs, herring, sausages, pig parts (ears, knuckle joints, even supposedly ears and tails, although my Polish grandfather may have been pulling my leg on that one).

The only time I tried pickled eggs was in a bar. I was drinking a sweet girly drink, so that may have accounted for some of the unpleasantness of the experience. I'm sure the brined eggs go better with beer than hard lemonade.

The color threw me too (for some reason, at least in the bars, they're often dyed fuchsia pink with beet juice). The dye penetrates the whole egg, even the yolk.

I've been told that home-made pickled eggs are much better than commercial, but recipes are hard to come by (except online). I have thought of trying pickled egg recipes I've found online (you bring a pickling solution to a boil and pour it over hard-boiled in a jar or tupperware and keep refrigerated. In 10 -14 days your eggs are pickled).

I haven't tried it yet, though. The purple bar egg was pretty bad, so I've been hesitant.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-29-2013 at 09:40 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #18  
Trying to be in the 160s

Thanks kaplods. I have just ordered some pickled quail eggs (to help me keep portions low) in three varieties....plain, hot an cajun.

Yum. Protein. From a jar!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #19  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Thanks kaplods. I have just ordered some pickled quail eggs (to help me keep portions low) in three varieties....plain, hot an cajun.

Yum. Protein. From a jar!
Ok, I know I could google it, but WHERE did you order quail eggs?! *wants very badly*
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #20  
Trying to be in the 160s

I ordered my pickled quails eggs from E-Bay. But should have gone straight to the supplier's website...queggs

I will let you know how it goes...
Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #21  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Canned snails? That's a new one on me! Who knew?

However, I can buy canned hearts of palm trees at my local WM.

But then I live in land locked Nebraska.

However, for the record, I've eaten fresh rattlesnake. Not that big a deal, lean and tough and not much flavor. However, you do need to chop it up in little one inch chunks to cook. If you try to cook the thing whole, it crawls out of the pan! The only time I've ever heard my MIL utter the "F" bomb, along with a lot of other swear words, and a large knife and lots of chopping and slicing and dicing!

Snapping and leather back turtle is very similar to chicken. Light and dark meat.

Ground raccoon, not to bad, very lean, best done in chili with lots of onion and other spices.

While carp is not a preferred fish to eat, if you pressure can it, it is very similar to canned salmon. Who knew?

Antelope, best done pressure canned. Otherwise, it gets a bit "gamey" and overwhelming.

Deer! I'm an expert at that! Add just a bit of pork roast, deer is very lean, and grind it into great burger!

Rocky Mountain oysters! Yum!

I do find it interesting to see what others eat. I realize it's a given for the local culture and availability, but it does sometime amaze me!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #22  

We ate carp growing up in Illinois (this disgusts Wisconsonite hubby). They're actually quite good tasting fish, but they're a pain to eat. They have a lot of fine bones, so you cook them whole (usually fried in our family), and have to pick carefully through the meat with your fingers.

You can't eat carp quickly or daintily. Filleting is a bad idea, because people assume fillets are boneless, and assuming a mouthful of fish is going to be boneless is a very bad idea with carp.

I can see why canning would solve this problem as the bones in canned fish become crumbly and edible. We always ate them fresh though.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-30-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #23  
Trying to be in the 160s

I just ordered pickled garlic. Pickled is the new canned!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #24  

Quote:
I just ordered pickled garlic. Pickled is the new canned!
OMG, pickled garlic is absolutely ADDICTIVE.