General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Wow, I am amazed by this video. I stumbled upon it recently when I was researching sugar. I used to never really eat sugar before I had my son. It was an occasional treat but nothing that really caused me any problems. Once I had my son and started breastfeeding though I was suddenly hit with massive cravings for carbs. I indulged myself too liberally and went from someone who only ate dessert a couple of times a month to having a house stashed with cookies, cakes, chocolate, pancakes, waffles, an assortment of jams, syrups, and a collection of honeys.

It really changed me, the more I ate the hungrier I became. I had a healthy pregnancy and now MY MATERNITY CLOTHES ARE TOO SMALL. Who on earth gains weight after they give birth? Me! A sugar eater!

So I started researching ways to cut sugar out of my life and stumbled upon this. I feel renewed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z5X0i92OZQ
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, it's an awesome video!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Just watched the first part so far but bookmarked it... I'm headed out to the pool for an early morning workout right now. But I certainly agree with the first part of it... that the "a calorie is a calorie" idea is total garbage. It DOES matter where they come from!!

Can't wait to watch the rest of it.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #4  

I'll be honest, I've watched the video in its entirety twice thus far. I watch a little bit everyday because I want it to be a message that really sinks in. It gives me motivation to avoid sugar.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #5  
GO.FRUIT.YOURSELF

S/C/G: 255/155/110 Fruitarian

Height: 5"2

Sugar from fruit is what we are suppose to be living off of. Our brains run exclusively off of it. I've lost 100 lbs eating 4200 calories a day from mostly fruits and some vegetables. Its never the SUGAR that makes people fat its the FAT they consume with it. Look into Freelee "The banana girl" and 30bananasaday.com.

Peace, Love and Fruits
Melissa
Melissamixedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissamixedup View Post
Sugar from fruit is what we are suppose to be living off of. Our brains run exclusively off of it. I've lost 100 lbs eating 4200 calories a day from mostly fruits and some vegetables. Its never the SUGAR that makes people fat its the FAT they consume with it. Look into Freelee "The banana girl" and 30bananasaday.com.

Peace, Love and Fruits
Melissa
There's nothing wrong with fat, our bodies need fat, as they need glucose. I eat fruits, I would never give that up but I can't live on a diet of only fruits and veggies. I'm low-carb and sugar free but I don't limit my fat intake.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Sugar the bitter truth was absolutely a game changer for me. It transformed the way I see sugar, juice, baby formula, processed foods, etc. I'm not 100%, but I am much more careful now.

And to correct a statement made earlier- sugar from fruit is not what we're supposed to live off of. GLUCOSE is what our bodies convert many foods into to use as energy. FRUCTOSE (from fruit) is not the same. We can eat it, but need to eat it in its original form not as juice. And fat is not what makes people fat. That's a myth that has been debunked. You need to watch the video.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Sugar the bitter truth was absolutely a game changer for me. It transformed the way I see sugar, juice, baby formula, processed foods, etc. I'm not 100%, but I am much more careful now.

And to correct a statement made earlier- sugar from fruit is not what we're supposed to live off of. GLUCOSE is what our bodies convert many foods into to use as energy. FRUCTOSE (from fruit) is not the same. We can eat it, but need to eat it in its original form not as juice. And fat is not what makes people fat. That's a myth that has been debunked. You need to watch the video.
Absolutely a game changer for me too. It's hard to believe how far over the line we are, how we have been led to believe that we are at fault for our own obesity when we have little choice as to what we are forced to eat. It's a big statement, I know.... and I don't mean to discredit my own part in my battle with weight, I just mean that I've been given so much wrong information about what the right thing is to eat that I feel like I've been lied to all along. A sugar addiction is not a small thing, it's no different than an alcohol addiction or a drug addiction truth be told.

Is it necessary, truly necessary to put high fructose corn syrup in bread? Why is sugar in everything we eat if they didn't put it there knowing what it would do to our health? Keeps us addicted, keeps us sick, and keeps the population dependent on medicine to keep us from dying. HFC and sugar is a win win for companies.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #9  

cool video!
Katie4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #10  
Carbivore

S/C/G: 260/167/172

Height: 6' 2"

It's not sugar that makes people fat. It's improperly absorbed sugar - i.e. without fibers, or through body vessels clogged-up with fat. The first causes sugar spikes, the second promotes big insulin shots, which causes... sugar spikes. Where goes it then... yes it's transformed info fat. And yes, carbs rise your appetite, they are even addictive in fact, but so is sex. Mother nature made it this way, to be sure we won't forget about important things in life. So the strongest and quickest results you can get is by severely limiting carbs. But compensating the calories intake by eating more fats is a slow suicide.

What do you get if you eat whole foods? Moderate amount of carbs with fiber.
What do you get if you keep fat low? Proper carbs absorbsion.

What do you get if you keep the carbs low? Weight loss, but also bingeing, craving and no energy.
What do you get if you don't limit fat? Arteriosclerosis.

Last edited by MadProfessor; 11-23-2012 at 04:38 PM.
MadProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #11  

I always do my best to avoid excess sugar. So easy to cut out sodas!
Sweetie33 is offline   Reply With Quote