General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/350/145

Height: 5'7

Default I'm kind of lost on what I should be eating.

I don't really know what exactly I'm supposed to be eating. I feel hungry all of the time since I started my diet. I'm staying away from sugars, sodium, carbs, and drinking nothing but water. I don't feel satisfied.

Anyone have any advice?
jg0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

If it were me I would start by picking out a plan to follow.They are many great options.Don't avoid carbs altogether just choose healthy ones.I think a structured plan would be more helpful to you.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 207/168/154

I agree, don't avoid carbs just choose healthy ones. Pick things with lots of fiber. That will help you feel full longer. If you choose a balanced breakfast, it will set the pace for the amount of hunger you feel the rest of the day. Eat 100% whole wheat bread in moderation each day etc.

An example of my breakfast is:

3 egg whites and 1 yolk scrambled in a teaspoon of olive oil.
1 piece of 100% whole wheat toast
small hand full of dried cranberries or any berries you like (just watch the sugar in dried fruits).
Large cup of black coffee
mommaK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I also think that planning is the key to success. Personally, I like to count calories and focus on whole foods for 90% of my diet.

There are so many things that vary amongst us:

-some like to count points, others like to count calories, others exchanges, etc, but most of us need to count portion sizes somehow

-some of us eat six small meals a day, others eat two large meals, others eat only during a small window of time everyday

-some of us can eat anything as long as it is within our portion limit, but others need or feel better focusing on carbs, proteins, whole foods, etc.

For me, I think that planning became easier a few years ago when my nutritionist said something simple: "make sure half of your plate is comprised of non-starchy vegetables." That was the kicker for me to just make sure that because I didn't want half of my meal being a "side," I make vegetables the star, or incorporate them 50:50 into nearly everything I make, even pasta and rice.

To make my days easier, I cook dishes on weekends then separate them into portions and freeze them in containers. I'm, in essence, making my own freezer meals that work for my dietary plan.

At night, I plan my entire next day in my journal/tracker (just a word document) to make sure that I'm reaching the goals that I want throughout the day. This includes the snacks I plan to eat. If my plan changes a little bit due to something unforeseen, I don't freak out, I just adjust as I see fit. Sometime in the evenings, I pack a bag with all of the snacks/meals I will eat while I'm at work, and I can grab it in the morning before I leave.

It's all a balancing act. There are so many websites (www.skinnytaste.com, www.cookinglight.com, www.eatingwell.com, www.eatbetteramerica.com, www.emilybites.com) with a lot of great recipes and ideas that can fit into most healthy eating plans.

Good luck!!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #5  

It's definitely hard to feel satisfied on a diet as opposed to not being on a diet. Knowing that I have to limit my eating definitely takes some of the fun out of it. That being said, what do you like to eat? What did you eat pre-diet? It might be easier to make a slower transition to lighter food.

Do you have a sweet tooth? Do you crave fat and salt? How do you feel about fruits and vegetables? Beans, legumes, lean meats?

Personally, I love fat and salt. I've been reducing my fat by using less oil when I cook and avoiding butter as much as possible. Although, I haven't been paying too much attention to salt. I don't eat any packaged, processed foods so that cuts my sodium way down already. I satisfy my fat cravings with avocados, at least 3 a week, extra virgin olive oil and the fat in meats and fish.

Sugar is more tricky. I've tried to cut it out of my diet as much as possible since it's just empty calories and has no nutritious value. Also, my body just turns it into fat. Even though I don't have a sweet tooth, cutting sugar really makes me crave it. Whenever I hear this it always makes me roll my eyes, but I'm going to say it anyways. I cure my sugar cravings with fruit. I know! I know! It doesn't compare to ice cream or a chocolate bar. But when I'm not eating those things, a ripe banana is the sweetest thing during my day. Other really sweet fruits I enjoy are watermelon, fiji apples, strawberries, ripe pears and blueberries.
Rachella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

Eat more lean protein! Protein will keep you fuller for longer than any other macronutrient.
Murder your appeitie with protein.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote