3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Fat Sick and Nearly Dead - Juicing! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/246900-fat-sick-nearly-dead-juicing.html)

mjoy79 11-11-2011 09:50 PM

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead - Juicing!

If this has been posted somewhere else recently I apologize. But I just watched this documentary Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. This australian who is overweight and sick decides to come to the US for 60 days and have nothing but juice - vegetables, fruits, etc. He inspired others to do 10-day juicing "jump starts" while he was here. He also lost 50+ lbs in those 2 months. Has anyone else seen this documentary or want to do juicing?
I was hoping to find some motivation here once I actually start on it. I know the first few days can be difficult since your body is essentially detoxing but after that you get a lot of energy.
:carrot::carrot::carrot:

HikingChloe 11-11-2011 09:58 PM

Hi there - I watched the documentary about a month ago as well.

Overall it looks like they were healthy and careful and raised a lot of good points. And the two main featured men definitely benefited from it. I had some problems with the intensity of the documentary but I do realize that it was a life changer and lifesaver for some people.

I know for me it wouldn't be something I would enjoy or stick to. I have done better with learning more about my calorie needs for the days.

Anyway, although I won't join you on this challenge I do look forward to hearing how it goes for you and I hope you get others to do it with you. I can't remember if he did a book or web site for people to follow and make sure they are going about it healthy. It might be a great jump start for some people trying to lose weight.

joltyness 11-11-2011 10:12 PM

Living on a diet of nothing but fruit and vegetable juices sounds like a godawful and miserable time to me... not to mention it reminds me of the plethora of other "lose fat quick by going to ridiculous extremes" diets that rarely work in the long run.

Hey, different strokes, I guess. It obviously worked for some people. If you're fine with the idea of drinking the same kind of "meal" every day, by all means give it a try. I'm just a natural skeptic.

darway 11-13-2011 05:07 PM

I'm not a fan of juicing because it can create glucose spikes, and deprives onesself of valueable fiber. It's much better to eat the whole fruit or vegetable.

CyndiM 11-13-2011 09:08 PM

If you follow the plan laid out on the Reboot website it's actually a healthy plan with several alternatives including full and partial juice fasts. There were some people following this in one of the other areas, Maybe a search will help :) There's also a Fuhrman thread in the vegetarian forum. He is the doctor that supervised the people in the movie. Good luck!

ETA: here's one in the 100 lb forum: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-...cumentary.html

and in 20s: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-s...-tomorrow.html

as Suzanne noted in another forum, it's important to be monitored by your physician

Porthardygurl 11-14-2011 02:23 AM

hi there. Im actually starting a full 40 day juice fast tommorow. Im doing it cause my body is really sick and in need of serious cleansing and im hoping that by doing this, it will help me with my wheat and gluten intolerance issue and i will lose weight and improve my health..good luck!

Esofia 11-14-2011 08:33 AM

I'd think that a juice fast would be even less suitable for someone who is really sick.

"Detox" is a term that's thrown around a lot, and when it comes to complementary therapies and diets is usually linked to some sort of scam. Real detox is things like coming off alcohol or drugs, delirium tremens and the like.

QuilterInVA 11-14-2011 05:06 PM

Your body requires protein and juicing will not do it. This is a way to be very unhealthy in a short time.

AtLeastMyToesAreThin 11-15-2011 10:55 AM

Hi there -

I spent a long time working at a raw food restaurant and have come in contact with multiple people who have tried juice fasts, etc. My worry is that someone doing a long-term juice fast is going to cheat, then feel like a failure. And also, eating whole foods after a fast is very difficult on your body.

I highly suggest doing a raw food detox over a juice fast. In my experience, that has been the most successful.

Selah05 02-16-2012 11:07 AM

Juicing/weight gain

I saw this documentary just a few days ago, but have been looking to do a juice detox for a while, i just didnt know how, or how often I was supposed to be drinking the juices, recipes etc. In the past I have been on liquid diets(not for dieting purposes) and I lost weight on it, but then gained it back before i was even done with the fast. This kind of worries me for doing the juicing. I have PCOS does that make a difference? Will i end up gaining while juicing??? :?:

astrophe 02-16-2012 01:10 PM

I have PCOS. I have juices once in a while as a complement -- bung it all in the vitamix and I'm not straining or losing fiber.

But I don't see that as a "all my meals thing" -- a lot of juice can mess with stable blood sugar. Even if it DOES have the fiber in there.

I see it more like a treat in my plan.

A.

yams1973 02-16-2012 07:16 PM

juicing

I did a 40 day juice fast myself, lost 25 pounds and led me to become a vegetarian. It was a complete game changer for me!!!! It taught me how to cope with my food addiction, it pushed me and I pulled through, now juicing is a part of my daily life and I touched off a mini revolution at my office. Its a fantastic way to incorporate vutal nutrition in your daily life.

Igb2htalmh 02-19-2012 06:02 PM

yams: wow I am impressed. I watched the movie yesterday and want to start. I came here to find motivation or a group that is starting...

ParadiseFalls 02-19-2012 06:06 PM

I couldn't do juice alone, but I have been juicing for breakfast or dinner several nights a week, and I love it. It's pretty much the only way I can stand to get veggies (yea, it's not the ideal way, but it's better than nothing, which is what I generally get without juicing them). And the juice gives me a TON of energy. I was drinking a triple-shot latte every morning to feel alive, and the juice gives me the same effect if not more.

Veela 02-19-2012 07:20 PM

I am planning on buying a juicer when I get paid in a couple weeks and incorporating more vegetable juices into my daily diet. I would be interested in doing a 7-12 day juice fast but I am not sure about the effect something like that would have on the body more long term. I know when coming off a juice fast you have to do it right and very carefully.

I have been vegetarian in the past and found it very difficult to do in a healthful way since I am not a big vegetable eater. I find it difficult to include veggies and when I try I tend to skip over them and opt for other things. I really feel that juicing my be the best option for me to get all the goodness and be able to mask tastes and textures in juices.

I am really looking forward to start juicing and can't wait until I can order my juicer!

guacamole 02-19-2012 07:25 PM

I saw the documentary and have done juicing. I too think that juicing alone does not provide enough protein or fiber to keep you full and with adequate nutrition. However, sometimes I do use vegetable juice as a meal replacement if I am not hungry, or as snack if the weather is warmer and I am really thirsty. I certainly think homemade juice is healthier than anything you can buy in a store. I have never replaced all of my meals with juice, though.

DiabeticDiva 02-20-2012 09:37 AM

I did research on this diet and this is what I found. Also I am a diet clerk and worked with a dietitian on a daily basis in a nursing home. I saw the results of what a liquid diet did to people. The risk of just juicing means if your body isn't getting enough calcium, your chance of getting osteoporosis and rickets increases. people experience nausea, constipation and diarrhea on these liquid diets. There's also a risk of gallstone formation.people who are only mildly obese may lose too much lean body mass on a liquid diet. That can increase their risk of developing cardiac problems, and these diets have been associated with cardiac arrhythmias.reports that liquid diets may also lead to muscle cramps, anemia, dizziness and menstrual abnormalities. Since some of the diets allow only 500 to 800 calories a day, dieters may experience fatigue and run the risk of malnutrition.Prolonged liquid diets have the potential to lead to symptoms of malnutrition your body goes into starvation mode and you really throw your metabolism out of whack and as soon as you eat something the weight will come right back on. I don't think this diet is worth the risk of all these complications. It's not sustainable and the results will only reverse themselves as soon as the diet is stopped. There is no quick fix to losing weight. I am on a few medications that make me gain weight and between battling those AND being premenopausal losing weight has been a real issue with me I've bounced back and forth with the same 2 pounds for the past 4 mths. I joined WW on Jan 29 and have lost 11 lbs already! I feel great let me tell you I'm a diabetic and when I feel good that is a very good thing. You can't beat sensible portion control and good healthy foods.

Veela 02-20-2012 05:24 PM

Diabeticdiva, I think think there needs to be a distinction between juicing all natural whole vegetables and fruits juiced at home and reconstituted juices or liquid diet supplements. A juicing diet and liquid diet are not the same thing. Liquid diets generally consist of protein meal replacements which are chemically processed and manufactured. What we are talking about here is buying whole fruits and vegetable and making your own juices at home with them using either a juicer or a blender. The only thing removed from the fruits or vegetable is essentially the fiber.

As for your concerns regarding calcium, there are a lot of vegetable which contain calcium including spinach, kale, broccoli, collard green and romaine lettuce. These vegetables also contain a form of calcium which is far more accessible to the body than milk or dairy products.

Fruits and vegetables also contain protein and when juiced the protein actually becomes more accessible to the body. Because it with the right type of juicer is breaks down the cell wall and makes it easy for the body to process and absorb the proteins it contains.

As for the caloric intake when doing any kind of juice fasting you are told to drink lots of water and to drink the juices was when you are hungry there is no real restriction to the amount. Some people drink 4-6 20oz glasses of fresh vegetable juice in a day. This type of whole food is very dense in calories but the enzymes, minerals and vitamins are immediately accessible to the body.

Saying that this is unhealthy is like saying that eating nothing but fruit and vegetables for a specified period of time is unhealthy. I think people are really misguided about juice fasting, what it entails and the amount of food and nutrients actually being consumed.

It is meant to be a break for your digestive system and it is considered beneficial if you are trying to deal with food sensitivities and other issues since it gives those parts of the digestive track a chance to recover.

I am not saying this is something that anyone should undertake lightly. Conducting a juice fast correctly and breaking it correctly take planning and education it is also not something that is recommended necessarily for weight loss purposes.

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead calls their program a reboot which is essentially what a juice fast is. It can be a really good opportunity to break food addiction and allows a person to focus on healing their body on an internal level. Basically giving the digestive track a chance to reset and recover.

I think anything beyond 14 days without proper support from a healthcare provider (it does not have to be a doctor, a nutritionist, dietitian, holistic practitioner etc.) is dangerous.

Weightloss should be seen as an additional benefit to juice fasting not the purpose for it. It is meant to fill your body with such nutrient dense food that it begins to release, toxins stored in the body, and recover.

I am not personally planning on undertaking a fast myself, although I may in the future but I think juicing needs to be recognized as beneficial on many levels.

kateleestar 02-21-2012 11:32 AM

I've never done it, lol, but I've read a lot about it. This book was the most informative: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Life-Vic...tt_at_ep_dpt_2

:)

m3k 06-30-2012 08:06 AM

Has anyone else watched 'Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead'? (Join the Reboot)

I've been seeing these commercials for jointhereboot.com, so I was interested.

To sum it up, this gentleman from Australia goes on a juice fast. He's closely monitored by a doctor. He helps people. Etc. The whole documentary is available at the website.

Anyone else watch it?

I found it to be inspirational, even though I wasn't running out to buy a juicer, haha. :D

LockItUp 06-30-2012 10:53 AM

I watched it. I thought it was a cool documentary. I have no interest in juicing though lol.

ringmaster 06-30-2012 10:58 AM

I watched it... I would juice fast if I had one of those high quality juicers and could afford all the produce (I think they even add it up in the movie, it's quite alot for a days worth).

m3k 06-30-2012 03:00 PM

Haha. Yeah. Produce is quite expensive, particularly when they start buying only organic.

It was a good documentary, or at least I thought so. I didn't want to start juicing, but after seeing how much all those fruits and veggies benefited him, it was inspiring to incorporate more in to my diet as well.

Porthardygurl 06-30-2012 03:04 PM

I watched it...tried juicing for a week and realized " i rather chew my food then drink it".

fatbookworm 06-30-2012 03:39 PM

I haven't seen that one, but I read Crazy Sexy Cancer when I was going through chemo, which advocates juicing as part of an organic, mostly vegan, "oxidizing" diet plan. I am very curious about some parts of both of these systems and drink store-made green juice with breakfast, but I haven't been able to afford to go full on (for the expense reasons others have cited). It is definitely something I hope to incorporate more into my life as I go along this fitness journey, albeit in a modified way.

LockItUp 06-30-2012 04:01 PM

I was really shocked at the expense when he added it all up! I do think the organic veg/fruit probably at least doubles the cost, but holy cow! And MAN that's a lot of produce for an itty bitty glass of juice.

If I had unlimited resources I'd probably juice, it seems like something worth trying if you have the money. I really don't think I could do just juice though!

JohnP 06-30-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porthardygurl (Post 4389310)
I watched it...tried juicing for a week and realized " i rather chew my food then drink it".

*BINGO*

In my opinion the entire idea around a juice diet is about as dumb as it gets.

The difference between those who are successful with losing weight and keeping it off and those who don't is the establishment of good dietary habits.

Drinking all your calories does nothing towards this end.

seagirl 06-30-2012 06:27 PM

Our bodies don't need cleanses, reboots, douches (yep, same theory), colonics, resets, etc.

My guess is not one person in the "Goals" section who has kept their weight of long term has a goal story that starts our with "First, I did a juice cleanse that reset my system, then I used Xenadrine to control my appetite while using Saran Wrap to whittle my waist."

mightbe 06-30-2012 07:03 PM

I watched but can't say it made me want to drink my veggies! ;)

twinieten 06-30-2012 07:10 PM

I've heard many wonderful things about juicing, but I also have not felt the desire to start on something like that. I'm kind of lazy and the more effort I have to put in to preparing something, the less likely I am to do it. I'd rather throw together a salad and eat some fruit than juice it all and drink it.

A friend of mine loves juicing and I swear I see him drink juice more than he eats. He started bringing me juice, because I'd compliment him on how good it was. At least some of them, the sweet ones he'd make with just fruit. When I asked him how much fruit was required to make the juice, I just about died. I may as well have just sat and eaten a pound of grapes, or a carton of strawberries, and I would have been more satisfied. I had to start declining other than a small sample of the juice as I had already calculated my calorie intake for the day, and it did not include a pound of grapes!

I'm with the others. I'd rather have something to chew that will leave me feeling full than drink my food.

LockItUp 06-30-2012 08:13 PM

I always kind of wondered, in regard to juicing (for a health aspect, not a weight loss one), don't you lose all the fiber in the juicing process? Do you lose some of the vitamins and minerals and antioxidants in the mush that the juicer craps out?

I agree about the need to eat my calories rather than drink them!

ashleym85 01-28-2013 09:28 PM

Juice Fast

My husband and I just watched this documentary, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and I want to do a 7 day juice fast to reboot my body. Has anyone done this? What was your experience?

ashleym85 01-29-2013 08:00 AM

Starting Juice Fast today!

Well I broke down and am going to try this juice fast. I bought a juicer, the Breville BJE510XL, and enough produce for the week. My refrigerator looks like a garden. For the next 7 days, I will eat no solid foods and drink only water and fruit and vegetable juice. I'll be sure to keep you posted on my progress. My starting weight is 288.

kelijpa 01-29-2013 05:34 PM

Good luck with the juice fast, DH and I have done a few 3 day ones, the first one I gave up caffeine with it was a killer, by the 3rd day the caff withdrawal was over, and it wasn't bad, now when I juice I have one cup of coffee in the a.m.

We are now juicing 2 non-consecutive days during the week. It seems to be working good for us. I haven't been getting sick like alot of people at work, I think the extra vitamins and nutrients help with that.

He watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and then had me watch it, it was good, and at first we didn't juice, just ate more and more veggies, then tried juicing. Fruits and veg are good for you.

best of luck, hang in there :sunny:

Avezy44 01-29-2013 06:01 PM

My friend was telling me about a co-worker that lost 47lbs juicing. I really want to try it but I am not really sure where to start. Is it like a fad diet where you immediately gain the weight back when you start eating normally again? That's my biggest concern. If you do try it and love it, pleas let me know! :)

Tinky 01-31-2013 12:00 AM

I've seen this Doc too, and want to try it sometime. Their website is pretty good and has different versions of the plan, including plans that include eating solid food, which is what I might start with. Let us know how it works for you!

427pounder 02-04-2013 06:28 PM

I saw the documentary as well and realized I can't go as long as they did. I'm not even going to kid myself. What I came up with is my own eating plan in which I juice 3 days each week. I'm blogging all of my results on my website mydietry.com

geewhizimtheshiz 02-15-2013 11:34 AM

Juicing help!

I've heard juicing is super good for you due to several health benefits and can assist with weight loss. Is this true? If so, how often should you juice? I also see juicing as an opportunity to get your daily amount of veggies and fruit without actually eating it...I love juice so this is very intriguing. Any insight is greatly appreciated :carrot:

bargoo 02-15-2013 11:46 AM

If you are juicing fruits and vegies, you are eating it. I like juicing because I know I don't get enough fruits and vegies, juicing takes care of that for me.

geewhizimtheshiz 02-15-2013 11:52 AM

What I meant was not physically munching down on veggies I really can't eat raw, so I'd drink em. :0) do you have any simple juice recipes?