General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 07:19 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Prevention Millennium Diet #90

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed
42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:28 AM   #2  
Chick

Default Hi all,

lana, I'm impressed with you exercise experience. I am so glad you met a good exercise buddy. Sounds like it is a real motivator for you.

I may have figured out what happened to my cat when he disappeared. He was in the back yard this weekend and climbed a very short tree and then got stuck and couldn't get down. I have never seen him climb a tree before, so putting two and two together..... And he has been very cowed since getting stuck in the backyard. He doesn't want to go outside again. Silly thing.

I have been so frustrated with myself, just unable to turn back to my good PMD habits for longer than a couple days at a time in a really long time. Last night I was invited to a dinner party and, though I went, I really didn't want to and mostly because I just feel so miserable with myself. When I am not taking good care of myself I get like that.

I don't want to say too much about what I'm gonna do, I want to take some action though. I hauled the scale up to my bathroom last night from the basement where it has been relegated for the last few months. Then I didn't really want to weigh this a.m. because I did that, tomorrow I'm starting on a diet so I am eating whatever I want tonight. But it is where I can't ignore it for much longer. I did weigh last week and I have gained about 12 lbs.

Back to the drawing board as they say.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:10 AM   #3  

Thumbs down A good Monday morning everyone,

The sun is shining and DH & I just got back from our walk.

Lana~Your exercising puts me to shame. It's nice having an exercise partner to keep each other motivated. I hope that your weather has gotten better. We've been having the same type of weather as you. Since it's been so cold and wet I'm wondering what if any of my flowers will bloom this year.

ledom~Your poor kitty! It must have been very frightening for him being stuck in the tree. He'll probably be over his fright soon and start meowing to be let outside. It seems like we are in the same boat dietwise. I can't seem to commit to something for more than a few days. I get so frustrated at times, as I really want to lose this weight, but I'm at a loss as to what to do. I have pulled out the Prevention lo-carb diet plan book to read it through and maybe follow that. The receipes look delish.

judi~Sometimes I wonder what goes through an animal's mind also. They really are comical at times.

Take care and enjoy the day.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:08 AM   #4  

Default alas me too

Hi! It seems some of us are in the same place. I no longer eat off the diet now the problem is portion control of the proper stuff...come on ....1/2 cup rice or pasta I guess I have been eating so much for so long that it seems impossible, though I do watch my skinny husband and he automatically leaves stuff on his plate no matter how good it is.

Exercise has been a bit better now that summer is here.

I decided to go with my DH on the Ca. trip after all. I feel better about this place now that the yard is in order so I can leave for a week or so without worrying about it. I have a gardener coming today and that will be it for the month.

Ledom, did that handyman ever show up?
Old 06-18-2002, 09:51 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Hi girls!

Judi ~ you have one of those skinny DH'S also?? Aren't they aggravating... Mine will refuse chips or junk food at a party...Then everyone says "No wonder he's so slim!" Arghhh!! Portion control is very difficult, Judi, I agree... I'm not into junk food, but give me a some good brown rice or whole wheat pasta, and I can go overboard on that just as easily...

Aleka ~ It's been pouring here since lat Thursday.... I mean just down pours so bad you could barely see accross the street... Today, Tuesday, well it's just cloudy so far... Tomorrow is supposed to go up to 26C, and no rain, and I hope so because my kids school is having a BBQ for year end...

Ledom ~ Cats are so funny, I love our fat ole cat Chloe, everyone laughs at her tho...she has a small head, big body, small tail...but a lovely disposition...eventho MY disposition was less than lovely this morning when she woke me us at 4:30... I was getting up in 20 minutes, but she would not stop scratching my son's bedroom door, she scratches HIS door, in order to get OUR attention... I certainly don't want the can to disturbe his sleep, he has school after all..oh well!!

Well I must get going ... I took the day off today and tomorrow for the BBQ at school, and today I want to go shopping for a new sofa....a sofabed really so that our D can have a sleep over without having to haul out mattresses and everything else to sleep on....

Have a good day girls..

Lana....
Old 06-18-2002, 10:15 AM   #6  

Angry Good morning,

DH & I just got back from our walk. I'm cooling down now before I hit the shower.

DH & I have a wedding to go to this coming Sat. I have a dressy white tank top and a dressy white gauzy blouse that goes over the tank top. I plan on wearing this with black pants. I don't know much about wedding etiquette these days. I was wondering if it was still a faux pas to wear white at a wedding, or doesn't it matter? I really need help with this.

judi~When will you be leaving for CA? I can take 1/2 cup of rice and load up with veggies. When it comes to pasta I measure 1 cup. I believe the 1 cup for pasta is the portion size in the WW points book. I have read articles on how thin people eat, and stopping when they are full is one of the things they do. Another is they don't deny themselves anything so that they are satisfied with a smaller portion because they know they can have it anytime. It was a very enlightening article and it gave one something to think about!

ledom~How is your kitty doing? Is he over his fright yet? How was your eating yesterday? Mine went ok, but I think I had way too many carbs. Today hopefully will be better.

Shebacat~Haven't heard from you in awhile. I hope everything is going well with you.

Lana~I hope you are experiencing this delightful weather that we are!

Take care and have a great day!

Last edited by aleka; 06-18-2002 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:19 AM   #7  

Wink Lana~

I guess we were posting about the same time! Sorry you are still having lousy weather. Have a great time at the BBQ and sofa shopping!
Old 06-19-2002, 01:40 PM   #8  
Chick

Default Hi girls,

Alice, I think your outfit sounds pretty. I think (my uneducated opinion) that some of those old rules have gone by the wayside. I guess it depends on your region and the wedding that you are attending, but if that is what I felt comfortable in that is what I would wear.

The handymen DID come. They did an adequate job, charged too much, so I guess they are typical. I wasn't home when they finished, do you think they had a problem picking up the phone then and finding out what my schedule was? Anyway, next time I'll call someone else, the experience just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Lana, I wish I could share some of my weather with you. We could use a spot of rain and cooler temps, we could just kind of average the two I bet we'd both be happy.

judi, I know DH be happy to have you along on the trip to CA.

All is well here, I have been busy. Working some and I have been out kayaking some too.

Lana, sounds like Chloe has your family trained. We have a cat that does that too with D's bedroom door at night. We have learned to leave it open a crack because if we don't, one of us will be wakened until she either gets into that room or out of that room.

Ricky Martin finally went out yesterday after 3 days in the house. I think he spent all day in the peach tree in the backyard. When I called he jumped out, he's like a moth to flame, now he knows he can climb a tree that is where he wants to be. I guess it's ok if he only climbs short trees or figures out how to climb down.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:48 AM   #9  

Default evenin all!

Your outfit sounds lovely Alice...tres chic

Ledom: I never let people do work unless I am there to keep an eye on things. We found this out the hard (& expensive) way when we were building our house 8 years ago.

I planted some flowers and had a little work out in the garden. It felt good.

I am looking forward to going now on the trip. It is because the yard is in order and all so I don't feel so guilty leaving. Plus, I won't worry about the DH if I can keep an eye on him. He won't eat often (to me that is unthinkable and unbelievable , how can anyone forget to eat beats me!)

I bought some new clothes...I am a pretty well dressed 3X! It is my biggest wardrobe size

I filled out adoption papers for a French Bulldog if one ever turns up and needs to be rescued. Marley is so playful now, his teeth must have been bothering him.

Lana, did you get your new sofa?

Ricky Martin sounds like he is getting quite daring.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:46 AM   #10  

Angry Hello everyone!

Finally...decent weather!!! Yesterday morning I had a hair appt. I'm BLONDE again!!! It really is very uplifting. I also had my semi-annual dental checkup yesterday morning. The cutest thing happened while I was waiting for my appt. Since it was so warm, the office had their outside door wide open. Well, I noticed some chipmunks in the yard and no sooner had I wondered if any of them ever ventured in, when one came running through the open door and was running around looking for a way out, which it eventually did. Thank goodness it didn't come near me, as you girls would've heard me scream! I love watching them, but at a distance

judi~Forget to eat??? What's that???? That's great you'll be going with DH on his trip. Don't forget to bring back some goodies from Trader Joe's. Speaking of which, DH & I made a trip to a Trader Joe's down in Mass. We came back with these fantastic low-carb candybars. They have several different flavors, and each and everyone were delicious! I hope you get your French Bulldog soon. They are so cute. To me, there is something very special about a rescued animal. Even though we bought Shamrock at a pet store, I always felt as though we had rescued her. Lacee on the otherhand was spoiled from the time she was born.

ledom~That's great you've been doing some kayaking. It must be so peaceful out on the water. Thank you for your advice about the outfit. That's what I'm going to wear. That's a shame your handyman was such a disappointment. We have run into that problem ourselves a time or two. Is there someone who you trust that you could ask for a reliable handyman? Glad that Ricky Martin is back to climbing trees again!

I'm off a bit later for my weekly lunch and shopping date with a friend. This has been a great, getting to know each other all over again.

Take care and have a good day.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:31 AM   #11  
Chick

Default Good morning,

Well, I did my tape this a.m. I am so glad that I actually did it and it made me feel better.

I made something interesting to eat as well. It is a chickpea and red pepper salad. I roasted the peppers and added to the chickpeas along with some capers, garlic, parlsey, red wine vinegar, salt, and olive oil. It is marinating now, but the sample I tasted was yummy.

Ricky Martin is acting so strange. Today I can't even push him out the door. He runs right back inside. This poor cat has been traumitized is some way. He is also being very affectionate. A big mystery, though I do think he must have been stuck in a tree for a couple of days.

I have an event to get dressed for tomorrow night. I found a great dress at the local TJ Maxx for $30 that is really cute. I think we talked about TJMaxx here before. It is my favorite place to shop, sometimes I get such good bargains. I bought a $150 Lamarthe bag for $25 on the same day I got the dress. Sometimes you just hit the best stuff.

judi, I'd like to see your new clothes. I bet you look great. I have been on a bit of a shopping binge lately. Love to shop!

It has been about 6 wks. since I got my hair cut short and I think I need to have it trimmed, it isn't laying right anymore. One of the things that having style hair requires I guess. Hearing about your new dos makes me think about taking care of mine.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:28 PM   #12  

Default Good morning!

Alice, I bet your hair is beautiful!

Ledom, you got your hair cut? I must have missed that. How short? Yes, after two months my hair grew quite a lot and was starting to look droopy. The hairdresser said a good cut was most important, for layers about every six weeks, root touch up about every six weeks and streaks about 2-3 months. That is the schedule I am going to follow. People say to me that my short hair must be easier to take care of then long hair...nothing could be further from the truth, short hair is a lot more work. I have a spent a small fortune on hair products and I can have bad hair days now. With my long hair it was just the "same" hair day. Though I don't regret it one bit because I like it a lot.

I am getting ready for the trip. We are leaving this afternoon.

I hope to get out into the garden and plant some gypsophilia today before I go.

Talk to you all from the road!
Old 06-21-2002, 09:05 AM   #13  

Angry Good morning,

ledom~Your salad sounds delish. That's great you doing a workout tape. It's amazing how good you feel after a workout. Poor Ricky Martin. Do you think that he could have been frightened by some wild animal or a predatory bird chasing him? It happens in our area quite a lot. I love getting bargains like that! I bet you'll look smashing in your new dress. I went shopping yesterday and one of the stores, Bon-Ton was having this huge sale, plus a 20% off coupon. I bought a summer pocketbook marked $24.00, and ended up paying around $10.00 for it, and I did some Christmas shopping there to boot!

judi~Have a great trip. Isn't it the truth that long hair is much easier to take care of? When mine was very long all I had to do was wash it and go, of course I was in my 20's & 30's and could get away with it I usually have a trim every 5 weeks, and highlighted every 5-6 months.

DH & I are off to Mass. sometime later this morning to deliver some parts. While down there, we're going to a market called Bread & Circus, which is an organic...whole foods... market.

Take care and enjoy the weekend.
Old 06-22-2002, 02:11 PM   #14  
Chick

Default Hi girls,

Did you get some good stuff at the health food store Alice?

I am slowly getting back some good habits this week. I have worked out 3 days in a row to a video. I kayaked 2 hrs. yesterday. I am being easy on myself, using lighter weights, not pushing, just getting myself in the habit of moving again.

Also, my mother's garden is coming in and she has given me squash, eggplant, greenbeans and cucumbers. I plan to take good advantage of the abundance of fresh vegetables now. My favorite cookbook, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone is out on the counter again. Her recipes are so good, she uses a lot of olive oil in her cooking which sometimes puts me off. I have about decided not to worry over that so much and see how it goes. Eating a lot of veggies w/ some o.o. can't be that bad and the oil makes it so much more flavorful. Sometimes I think by cutting back too much on that I become disatisfied with the food and eat more to compensate. We'll see how it goes. The chickpea and red pepper salad has been a huge find. It is good plain, it is good on top of a green salad, and it is good with whole wheat pasta. I'll be making it again for sure.

I am ready to get serious again. One thing, in summer I just feel like I have to have ice cream. I have been buying some lo-cal popsicles to take care of that urge. I just have a problem with portion control but I will keep working on that.

Guess I am due a haircut. Just hate taking the time to go to the beauty shop - oh well I guess I'll do it soon. You girls sound like you have great hair styles. I am glad I got my hair cut, but agree that it is lots more trouble. I am a wash and go kind of gal. I have discovered the joys of bedhead hair products, they seem to work well for styling.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:44 PM   #15  

Angry Hello everyone!

We went to a wedding last night. We didn't get home until midnight. Slept in this morning, and now the whole day is screwed up. I think a nap is in order later this afternoon

ledom, We did get a few things at the whole foods grocery store. We got some nice big juicy blueberries , whole wheat tortillas, and nitrate free bacon. That's great you've decided to get serious again. Your mother's garden sounds bountiful. From what I've been reading, olive oil is very good for you. Maybe you can cut the amount of olive oil in half if you aren't comfortable using the amount they tell you to. Have you made an appt. for your hair cut? I had the stylist who does my hair give me a fancy "do" for the wedding. Talk about HELMET HAIR!!! I was so glad to wash all the goo out of it this morning.

Hello judi and Lana.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Closed Thread