General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #1  

Question Eating less than your BMR? Help please!

Hey all! I'm new here I have a question for those of you who count calories. First though, a little about myself. I'm 5'8" tall, weigh 145lbs and am 22yrs old. My goal is 140lbs, I started at 160 last summer and lost 15lbs but of course, the holidays rolled around anddddd all my progress stopped. Now I have a new job which requires me to sit for 14 hours a day, 3 days a week. So I am struggling with trying to figure out how much to eat, as I'm not losing any weight but I also do not want to crash diet.
On my 3 days of work, I literally have to sit all day long. At night, I either power walk 2 miles or do a 15 minute workout consisting of planks, various types of crunches, squats, mountain climbers, etc..
On my 4 days off, I'm extremely active. I walk 3x a day, 2 miles each time, so a total of 6 miles a day which burn approx 600 calories total. I also do the same 15-20 minute workout each day.
For starters, I calculated my BMR. It says 1500 calories. Then I multiplied that 1500 with the "sedentry" number, subtracted 30% as recommended to lose weight, and the number says 1260 calories per day. Can this be correct? Eating 240 calories less than my BMR? I know I would lose weight, but am worried to eat below my BMR...So, there's my question. I would greatly appreciate any help, thanks guys
For a sidenote: On my 4 active days, I've decided to try eating 1700 calories because my 1500 BMR multipled by the number for "moderatly active", and then subtracting 30%, came to 1700 calories.
Thanks all!
Outdoorgirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 135 / 175 / 175

Height: 6'0

I don't think you should go below 1500 calories.

1200 cals is really not enough and I don't think your weight loss progress will be sustainable long term.

That's my personal opinion

Last edited by Adam S; 03-29-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Adam S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:23 PM   #3  

Thank you for your input! Much appreciated. The minimum I have been eating is 1400 on the days where I have to sit for 14 hours. The other days, I eat 1700. I was mainly just wondering if going below your BMR is ever wise, because it seemed to me that it would not be. Thanks!
Outdoorgirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote