General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 10:03 AM   #16  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Howdy y'all!

I couldn't get on the 'net yesterday at work for more than a few minutes because of server probs (hopefully that'll be worked out today - their connection is much faster than our cheap dialup here at home).

Susanje - Kitty is doing very well indeed! He has stopped meowing in the morning when I wake up. Actually he softly mews because he knows now that Jim doesn't want to wake up at 4:30 am like I do. Then after I leave he goes back to sleep with Jim on the bed. Kitty (that's what we call him now, original huh?) has also become very playful, so we play with him after work. He loves those 'cat ticklers' - the plastic sticks with feathers and a jingle bell at the end. We had thought about getting him a kitty buddy but I really think he's used to being the lone cat in the house, besides our place is really small.

HEY I want some PowerBlocks too!!! When I tried them out, one of the things I liked about them was what you remarked on - the wrist support. Maybe I'll get one of the smaller sets (that goes up to 60#) one of these days (just don't know where I'd put them).

Finally figured out which fitness program I'm going to use in my Palm Pilot - it's one I found on Tucows called "LiftLog". LiftLog is freeware but the neat thing is the optional software (which costs $10) called "Exercise Genie" which is a database that has around 250 different exercises (with detailed execution instructions, purpose of exercise, etc.) You can note which exercises are favorites and it keeps track of your reps and weight progress. MUCH better than having to type in each exercise on my own!

Didja see on L&S that Pam B has 'thrown down the gauntlet' and announced a five week mini-Challenge (to the end of the new year)? Check it out - I'm doing it too. We all know that extra motivation is required to get through the holidays!

Whew! Time to wake up Jim. More later gals!!!
Old 11-28-2001, 01:53 PM   #17  

Mrs Jim:

I find the PBs fit just about anywhere. Right now I have them stashed behind my recliner which is in a corner.

My kitties always liked those over the door toys, where you hang it and it has an elastic string with a toy on the end they can play with it. They all went crazy for them. But the big one is so strong (he's a 25 lb Maine Coon) that he can destroy one in no time (like a few tugs). But they love them while they last.

The other thing I do is something for their scratching behavior which is buy some remnant rug pieces and turn them upside down. I don't know what it is about the backing of rugs that they love. To entice them to scratch I sprinkle some catnip on it. They go crazy but they will scratch even after the catnip is gone. I have two remnants in my office that come from my house back east because they just love to roll around on the old familiar pieces even though they are scratched to pieces....I rejuvenate the catnip now and again...but they love their old torn up rugs. Of course I put them away when company comes.

I didn't see Pam's challenge. I will have to check it out!!!
Old 11-28-2001, 02:19 PM   #18  
Uber-Moderator!!

Susanje - The PB's would have to be about the size of a thimble at this point, because my darling Jim ordered (without telling me!) KEYBOARDS as part of his studio equipment. I had no idea until UPS arrived last night. Jim has never even played keyboards before (he's a bassist and guitarist) but wants to give it a whirl. I have no doubt that within a few weeks he'll be playing pretty well (compared to yours truly who took piano lessons for 12 years - I can pick out notes but haven't played in years...however Jim has an innate ear and feeling for music).

Kitty loves that Worldwise Cat Scratcher, he sleeps on it, claws it and rubs against it all the time! I didn't even think about rug remnants.

Did anyone else see Biography on A&E last night with Carnie Wilson? I posted about it at L&S a little while ago.

Pam B actually called the mini-challenge a "five-week sprint". If memory serves, she posted the initial thread on the Main Board at L&S on Monday. Check it out - she's been posting a LOT lately! I've already ordered the mouse pad that has her inspriational words on it through the L&S Gear store.

Back to work, y'all!
Old 11-29-2001, 09:34 AM   #19  

Default Susanje I received my parcel...

thanks again! I have enough MRPs to get through my first two challenges. I used to eat in front of the television but now I know I have my Myo or whatever to look forward to.

The carpet scraps are a great idea. I just need to figure out where to get some.

I'd love to join the PB sprint but since I'm in C1 I'm hanging in with the basics. I'm looking ahead to the day when I can go back to the way I used to train (two or three parts per day) but I'm dead serious about going "by the book" this time. The only change I've made is to add warm-up time because of the recent research showing that "exercise migraines" can be triggered by jumping into cardio. I've had this problem for years.

It's certainly inspiring to hear that everyone's doing so well.

C1,D11 (already!)
Old 11-29-2001, 10:30 AM   #20  

Hi Lisa!

Glad you rec'd the MRPs. When I was writing out the address label, I thought "Oh I know where that it!!!" I used to do long motorcycle runs and go through there. Pretty country.

Also glad you're going by the book. I found in C1 it was very helpful to me. I didn't have to think about it. I was one of those people who didn't see any loss until Week 7 but all along I felt so good that I just knew it was working. Also Lean and Strong folk were very very supportive when I was flipping out that I wasn't losing inches. They kept saying "It will happen!" and it did!
BFL is good stuff.

Right now I'm trying to get into that regimented way of thinking with CKD. CKD is one of those low carb/carb up plans that is used by body builders (like NHE). I did not think it was as tough as it is. You do low carb for 5 days and then carb up for 2 days but the number of carb/protein/fat grams are very much in sync with heavy duty workouts. For me I haven't hit the right amounts YET (like BFL in the beginning, I feel like I'm eating way too much. CKD is six frequent meals as well but the 5 low carb days are a lot of protein and fat and the 2 carb days are a lot of carb!). I don't think I'm working out hard enough to warrant this much food.
I use the MuscleHeadz journal that I got with some order from netrition because it's broken into six meals. I really like that journal.

Anyway, I really LOVE the simplicity of BFL now that I think back on it and try to adjust to something with lower carbs. I found the MRPS to be CRUCIAL to my success so I hope that they help you!!! You get into a rhythm with BFL that is so cool. I truly love the program and if my hormones ever straighten out and I can add more carbs to my diet, I'll be back on the BASIC BFL plan because I loved it so much and had good progress with it.

as for me: STORM IN CALIFORNIA!!! MY neck (arthritis from an old injury) feels it!!! I always forget why I moved here since I go for months and months without aches and pains (in the east I was in agony ALL THE TIME). Today is an upper body workout so I'll have to take it SLOW and take LOTS of glutamine.

Time to get the kid to school (and later on myself). See you all later.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:53 AM   #21  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Stormy weather...da de da...

Today I can see SNOW in the Marin hills from my office window! Gorgeous...

Lisa - I have no doubt in my mind that with your attitude and advance planning - you will do WONDERFULLY on BFL. Like Susanje and all the L&S gang will tell you, it's a terrific idea to go by the book on your first Challenge. That makes everything pretty much a no-brainer. During my first Challenge I also used the Team EAS site at http://www.eas.com/sportsspecific/bfl.asp?F=BF which has a weight-workout schedule using the exercises in the book, switching them around every four weeks. After your first Challenge, you can get creative and find different exercises from books, magazines, etc to try - keeps your muscles growing and prevents boredom from setting in!

I'm still trying to figure out the Exercise Genie, just haven't had a lot of spare time to do it. But it's really great - with over 240 strength training exercises, including detailed instructions. Sometimes when I try a new exercise I have a tendency to draw a blank on how to do it (I will bring a copy or draw a diagram once in awhile) so being able to whip out the ol' PDA and find the instructions would be a great, great thing. Exercise Genie is set up in a database format, so you can set the filter to look at certain muscle groups only, and within that, look at just free-weight exercises, machine exercises, Barbell, Dumbbell, etc.

Well, on the Kitty front, he has really become a member of our household! Sparky already knows my schedule - this morning I was in semi-deep REM and felt a little wet nose in my ear and purrrring. Looked up and saw Kitty there looking at me (usually he's asleep on his afghan at the foot of our bed). I looked beyond him at the clock...and the time was...4:28 am. I am CONVINCED that he knew it was time for me to get up and go to the gym! As soon as I got out of bed, Kitty mewed softly and snuggled against Jim and went back to sleep. He had given me my wake-up call for the morning! What a sweetie.

Later everyone!

PS - doing a mini-survey here. Am I always the LAST person to get his/her Muscle Media mag?? Mine just came yesterday but I swear on L&S people have been discussing the new issue for over a week! Great issue though - focusing on ABS.

Last edited by MrsJim; 11-29-2001 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:28 PM   #22  

Default spooning up my cottage cheese and yogurt...

I'm as excited about the day to day experience of BFL as I am about the results (not that I'm not looking forward to the results...) because all the parts of it are appealing to me. The physical work, the mental work, the nutrition.

Mrs. Jim I'm so glad you and Sparky found each other! I wake each morning to both of my "bunnies" sitting on the bed. What a different world it would be without them and the love they bring with them.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:58 AM   #23  

Mrs Jim : Yes, I got MM about a week ago. What is up with your delivery?

Lisa: I had incredible stamina during my first challenge and none of the highs and lows energy wise. I felt terrific. You're gonna love it.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:47 PM   #24  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Looks like we're back on line for a bit!

Whew! Really tough to get out of the habit of clicking 3FC on my favorites list...and waiting. Not to worry, I had plenty to do today!

I have been getting so many compilments lately. "Hey, you're losing weight!" "Looking good!" etc. I definitely feel...well, lean and strong! I really feel like I have been making **MAJOR** progress and I'm only 1/2 way through this third challenge...this has been a tough week though eating wise, because it's been over a week since Thanksgiving (my free meal). Thank goodness there's only one day until my full-fledged Free Day. I hear a Filet O'Fish (I know, yuk) calling my name!

You all just HAVE to check out this website that was mentioned today on L&S. I've been reading it and it is great! Krista (the web mistress) has packed her website with well-written, terrific advice for beginners AND experienced strength training alike...
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

I'm telling ya, check it out - you won't regret it!

I LOVE that Palm Pilot program I've got! I don't actually bring the Palm with me to the gym (too risky IMO) but I write down on a little scrap of paper what exercises I did, reps/weight/sets. Then I record in the LiftLog my highest weight for each exercise, with a date. This way I can track how my progress is going! LiftLog is free but there's another program called Exercise Genie that's $10 that lists about 240 strength-training exercises, yes including instructions. Wouldn't that be great to have on hand at the gym when you 'blank out' on the technique of a new exercise? Jeez - this is beginning to sound like an ad. It's just that when I like something I let people know about it. Plus I sent an email to the guy Craig who developed the software and he very quickly answered. Seemed like a cool dude

Anyway, time for dinner - ahi tuna, salad, and cous-cous! MMmm.
Closed Thread