General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:18 PM   #1  
mom2cole

Default Does anyone go to college online???

I was just wondering if anyone takes any college classes online. I am thinking about it since I never finished going to college and now I have 90+ credits going to waste. I have two little boys and work full time so I have no time to acutally go to college. I do have some quiet evenings since my husband is working and the boys are sleeping and I was thinking of taking classes online. If you do go online to take classes where to you go and what does it cost??
Old 08-24-2006, 06:28 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I have taken classes online with the local college here, www.mala.bc.ca - I tried to check how much I paid but they changed the site and I guess they dont show it anymore... anyway it was 500 or something I think a class... I really dont remember at all
Old 08-24-2006, 06:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Most brick and morter institutions charge the same rate they do for in the classroom type of instruction. As far as online colleges that specialize in that, I have no idea because each college sets a different rate.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:58 PM   #4  
Jess

S/C/G: 255/250/150

Height: 5' 6"

I'm currently taking classes through herzingonline.com the program i'm doing is $15,000 for the entire program. But they do have finanical aid, which can get you grants and loans if needed.

Last edited by Jess5906; 08-24-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I'm currently doing a Diploma of Business Management through Thomson Education Australia - so it may not be entirely relevant to you lol.

I have taken 12 months leave of absence from my University degree and enrolled in this in the meantime (since it should take roughly 12 months) and it is completely online which I needed since I work fulltime.

Liv
Old 08-24-2006, 09:04 PM   #6  

I recently registered to take online classes at my local community college (Sinclair) to earn a certificate in Medical Office Coding. Only one of my classes out of the course cannot be taken online. Not sure what I'll do about that right now, I also have two young boys, and no babysitter.

Before I found that the local college offered online courses, I had checked into Devry. They are extremely expensive ($465+ per credit hour) - don't waste your time! Also learned that University of Phoenix is expensive and that a degree from there may not get you far.

Check to see what is offered at your local colleges. My college is only $45 per credit hour for state residents.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:10 PM   #7  
No description available.

Most local colleges and universities are offering online classes now, so contact the one closest to you. You may be surprised how much you can take (and for how cheaply, too!).
Old 08-25-2006, 06:50 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I take as much as possible online at the Univeristy of Colorado, which is quite a bit. I know at smaller schools and community colleges it has been possible to take almost any class online, but every semester my school offers more and more.

There is a $100 additional fee for every course taken online at CU.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:39 AM   #9  

I have taken most of college classes online as I live 30 miles away from our university... I can't take my nursing classes online, so I am no longer doing them, but I have lots of experience.
Check out: http://www.fhsu.edu/virtualcollege
Fort Hays has a VERY reasonably priced virtual college and even offer whole degree programs online. We have many, many out of state, and international students who take classes through the virtual college.
I believe the current cost of tuition is $136.50 per credit hour (I think only $30 more than the cost of on campus classes); so really, VERY reasonable.
I really liked my virtual college experience because I tend to work better independently and do well with self-paced learning. If you are one who needs lectures, group work, face-to-face interaction, or likes more structure then I would NOT recommend virtual classes.
Closed Thread