General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #31  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I forgot about the first Hellraiser movie! Pinhead is so creepy yet somehow his voice is very lulling and hypnotic

The first scary movies I watched as a kid are still some of my favorites - Vincent Price in The Masque of the Red Death, The Fall of the House of Usher, The House of Wax (did not see the new one) and The Fly (didn't like the Jeff Golblum one). Vincent Price rules!!!!!

I also really enjoyed the version of The Pit and The Pendulum starring Lance Henrikson.

Which reminds me - he was great in that movie Pumpkinhead.

Another fave was the version of The Headless Horseman with Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci.

As for books - I like Clive Barker, Joe R. Landsdale, and Michael Slade. I used to like Stephen King but got put off by his wordiness and what I describe as the 5 minute wrap up endings. I really enjoyed "IT" until that stupid ending. I found the Tommyknockers boring and again a dumb ending. I think I just got put off after a while

However I did like The Shining, The Dead Zone and Christine (the book was way better than the film).
Old 05-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #32  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

I asked my husband about his favorite scary book or movie. He reminded me of the story about when he was reading The Stand.

It was winter in Michigan, he was in high school and alone in the house. He was sick from school. He had been reading the book for a few days. Late one night he got up from the couch to grab a snack before going to bed. In the kitchen window (that starts about table height) was two glowing red eyes. He said he got so freaked out and couldn't move for awhile. Then he realized the red eyes were actually the red lights from the answering machine in front of the window.

Because of that he still thinks that book is scary. I personally couldn't make it past the first chapter it was so boring.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #33  

Height: 5'9

Yes, that part in Willy Wonka when they go for the boat ride scared the crap out of me when I was little!!
Zelda from Pet Cemetary used to scare me too. I HATED that part!
Oh, and the part with the wolf in The Neverending Story. That wolf scared the crap out of me too. I always had to cover my eyes at the part when Atreyu killed it.
Audition was a really good movie...especially the end! Japanese movies are really messed up!
Douglas Clegg is a really good writer. Very graphic horror stories!!
The end of the movie Nigth Flyer by Stephen King is also really creepy!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #34  

Oh, the Hellraiser movies!! They are some of my FAVORITES!! There is NOTHING out there quite like the Hellraisers. I LOVE the cenobites. Pinhead is just the creepiest thing.
"We have such sites to show you..."
Old 05-19-2006, 11:20 AM   #35  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBran
Because of that he still thinks that book is scary. I personally couldn't make it past the first chapter it was so boring.
Oh wow. That's one of his best books ever. Have you ever seen the movie? Maybe try that as it's shorter. But if you can get through some of the book, it's well worth the read. King tends to get long winded in descriptive narrative. I learned to read his stories best by skipping over descriptions. LOL
Old 05-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #36  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

I LOVE HORROR MOVIES! I think that most of the new ones are just plain dumb though (lately anyhow). I read King & Koontz all the time (among others)

The best scary movie? JAWS! I still have trouble swimming in the ocean to this day LMAO (seriously)

The best book? IT by Stephen King
Old 05-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #37  

after college i read 'it' (yay! finally a book i could read just for pleasure! i didn't have to read it hand in hand with a highlighter, notepad, and critical analysis guide!). it scared the pants off me. so creepy.

i love horror / slasher movies. halloween is probably my favorite (i always think it's scary when the bad guy doesn't talk and just kind of chases you real slow-like). i love zombie flicks especially-- serious or funny. i just saw a good one called 'dead and breakfast'. v funny a la 'shaun of the dead'.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #38  

OMG! Dead and Breakfast was great!! I love Shaun of the Dead too!

This thread is great...just up my alley!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #39  

Oh! I almost forgot about one of the BEST movies that I've seen in a long, long time...
HIGH TENSION!! This movie was fantastic...the story line, the gore, everything. You can rent it anywhere...it's French so you can either watch it with subtitles or overdubbed. That movie is definately worth watching.
The Masters of Horror one hour movies that they had on showtime are also really good too. They just started releasing them on DVD.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:25 PM   #40  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

I know that alot of people might not think that this movie was not that bad but for me it creep me out......The Blair Witch Project.....After I rented it my DH told me it was a wast of money to rent it I could not look at it....
Old 05-19-2006, 08:16 PM   #41  
sli
On A Mission

S/C/G: 209/135/130

Has anyone seen Silent Hill?
I liked it and it made me jump a couple of times! Now my DH wasn't real impressed so I guess its totally up to that certain person.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #42  
ugggg.....

My son was actually hikes on the Appalacian Trail where the Blair Witch movie takes place--The funny thing is there is a spot near Burkettsville that you put your car in neutral and it is "pushed" uphill by "the ghosts" of Civil War soldiers. There is an old book with legends around the area I grew up that mentions it along with a story about my great-grandfather being one of the people who claim to have saw the "Snarly Yowl" a big black dog like ghost that appears on a back road and doesn't let you pass by. The book is called "South Mountain Magic" and out of print.

My son is like me and loves all kinds of horror books & movies--his friend and him try to find the worst most cheesy "B-horror" movie ever--the reigning on according to them is "The Lair of the White Worm"
Old 05-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #43  
plucky clucky

S/C/G: 228/228/130 or less

Height: 5" 5'

I don't feel so alone now, I am the only one around my parts that likes scary. I have a question now, many moons ago I saw a movie and in it a little girl pulls the eye out of a teddy bear and blood trickles out of it, that is all I can remember and I have no idea what movie or show it was. Any ideas?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:09 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Okay, I'm a big foreign film fan, so here are some of my favorites.

A must see is Salvador Dali's Un Chien Andalou. It really doesn't have a plot (it's a surrealist film) I'm not even sure video stores would carry it ~ I saw it at a film festival. There's a scene with a cow carcass on a piano that is unforgettable, not to mention the slicing of a eyeball in the first seconds of the film . . .

Another one is Les Yeux Sans Visage (Eyes without a Face). It's the most disturbing French movie I have ever seen in my life. I think it may have been mentioned in Bravo's 100 moments, but I can't remember. OH, and if you get the DVD, don't watch Le Sang de Betes. It's horrendous. It's a documentary about the slaughter of animals in 1940's Paris.

And yet another foreign one (any Catherine Denueve fans?) I love is an old Roman Polanski movie called Repulsion. The title alone . . . It's a psychological horror really, but the chills don't leave for awhile . . .

And like others mentioned, any Hitchcock movie does it for me. My favorite is Rear Window. I loved Psycho, of course. I also like Rosemary's Baby and the Exorcist.

Books? Hmmm, don't read too many horror books, but the horse killing scene in Crime & Punishment ~ that'll will definitely give anyone nightmares.

Last edited by HarpoChicoGroucho; 05-19-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #45  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

I used to like scary movies till Nightmare on Elm Street... I had alot of nightmares over that movie.

I read a book called Dies the Fire by S.M Stirling. That was almost a year ago and I still think of it all the time,,,and have had a few bad nightmares.

Do any of you remember When a Stranger Calls when it came out 20+ years ago? I was so freaked cause of course back then I was babysitting,,we would get pranks from other kids who knew you had to baby sit for this family. It would just give me the shivers....it came out again 3 months ago,,,and have to say it was lame...sure I jumped a couple of times but even I thought it was really poor acting.
Closed Thread