General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 11:49 AM   #1  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

Default Have you ever gone from brunette to blonde?

or vice versa?

I've always been a mouse brown. I have highlights right now but I'm not too happy with the 1/2 1/2.

told my dh that I was going all blonde when I hit 1/2 of my goal (50 lbs) and now I'm skeeeeered.

Has anyone switched and did you like it? Were you glad you took the plunge? Tell me about your experiences, I'm curious

Lacey
Old 12-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #2  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

Yes, I've done it. I am (naturally) a dishwater light brown color, and from age 17-27, I colored it all-over blonde. The first year or so, I went to a salon because I was afraid of messing it up, but after that I bought the Clairol boxes at Target and colored it myself. Everyone was always surprised when I told them my color came out of a bottle, LOL , because they thought it was natural! I was very happy with how it looked and kept it going for all that time.

The only problem was that I really had to keep on top of it because it looked REALLY BAD as it was growing out if I let it get past 6-8 weeks wtihout a touchup. Recently I have gone back to brown w/ blonde highlights because I was getting bored with it and wanted to rid myself of the growing out issue. I have a lot of blonde highlights on top, so it looks pretty similar from afar, but as it's growing out I don't have that harsh line between my roots and color.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #3  

Smile

I'm all over the books with hair color. I'm a natural blonde (over the years its darkened to a dirty blonde) whoe has been platinum blonde, black, auburn-gold, caramel-brown, and even highlights of pink. (Yes, pink! It was actually a very pretty pale pink highlights over golden blonde)
It's great fun! I recommend a change ever now and then. Here's a little genuine rule I've found to help you with the blonde though. If you're hair has naturally red or auburn elements, chances are you will look good as a blonde or at least with blonde highlights. This is just something that I've noticed on myself and friends. If you do take the plunge, I'd love to see pictures!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I was always blonde growing up. I hit high school and found color. I would color it red and cut it short and colored it brown once. Then I pretty much would stick to coloring it blonde. A year or so ago I was fed up with coloring it and cut most of it off and found out I have a very pretty shade of brown hair now that is my natural color. You can see it in my siggy pic. I say go for it. I agree that going to a salon to have it done the first time. good luck
Old 12-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #5  
Mel

I started with highlights, but my hair bleaches out very easily. After a few years of highlights, it looked just all-over blonde. If I go out in the sun, my hair turns almost white if it's been lightened. Once I was picking my son up from school when he was in the first grade. A classmate of his looked at me and asked if I was his grandma I bought what I think is my original light brown hair color on the way home and it's been brown ever since. Except for my now gray roots

Mel
Old 12-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #6  
Movin on down the scale

I went from Dark brown to blonde slowley with highlights first, then I lightened it a few shades all over within 12 mo, I was FULL blonde..I liked it, but I have to say it was REALLLLLLLLY hard to transition back into brown...if I would have lowlighted it with browns and then did the same process in reverse it would have been much easier than changing back from BLONDE to BROWN in one shot....good luck...all else fails look at it this way...You can always change it BACK!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I've been having a horrible time with haircolor and am thinking about going all over blonde myself. I have naturally medium brown hair that gets slight highlights in the sun. I had it colored red but when I tried to have it colored back to brown the red will NOT come out. I figure the only way is bleaching. I might just try it myself and if I don't like the result I can cover it with a brown that matches my natural color and be rid of the red finally. I just haven't gotten the nerve yet!
Old 12-13-2005, 06:41 PM   #8  

I have been every color (almost) out there. Even fire engine red, pink, and blue. I have noticed that no matter what color I dye it, if I wait long enough it eventually ends up this light brown/dark blond color. which I thankfully like. I dyed it red (a normal red) a few months ago and I want to change it and go blond because I had so mush fun as a blond, but I am not quite ready to do that because I have to bleach it to get the red out. I am getting closer to doing it, I think once school is out (Fri) I will prabably do it, then if I mess it up i will have a month to get it right before I have to go back to school. Anyway...After all the colors I have been, I have found that what I enjoy most is the change. It makes me feel like a new person. RIght now blond is my obsession, but the upkeep sucks. It is worth it to see life from a different perspective though. I think you should go for it. You can always dye it back.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:56 PM   #9  

I personally think your all crazy to go blond.
But than again I'd have liked not to have started losing my hair at 23 so I guess I can understand the want to change ones hair.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:54 AM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

I am gradully going blonde now, I have had loads of comments on how is suits me!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:00 AM   #11  
Aussie Chick

S/C/G: 99/86/65

I am also naturally mouse brown, and went blonde years ago. These days I dye my hair a dark blonde and then highlight it with light blonde streaks. I'm happy with it. I did try going brunette once, but looked too much like my sister...lol... and quickly went blonde again.

Kathy
Old 12-14-2005, 11:01 AM   #12  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Default I did it and loved it!!

Hey there!

I have gone from fairl dark brown to blond...I loved it!!!! it took a lot of work to get there...but in the end I loved it...the only draw back is MAJOR roots!!
Old 12-14-2005, 07:23 PM   #13  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

I had blonde hair as a child which evolved into a lovely (er, not) mousy brown as I got older. I did go full blonde while a grad student (which was in my late 30s/early 40s), using a bottle (I forget the brand--I just know it wasn't Clairol though--something that was supposed to be better). Funny--seemed like hair dying was almost a recreational activity for female grad students! I personally HATE the horrible look of dark roots growing in (hate it on me, hate it when I see anyone else with it) so I was always retouching. It got to be SUCH a hassle and my hair was really paying the price (very brittle and dry, and the color was just starting to look "weird")--I finally went to a salon and had them match it back to my roots and was "natural" for awhile. Now I go with highlights which I find is a happy medium for me.

My only advice would be if you go blonde, absolutely stay up-to-date with it--it just looks so cheesy (which is the nicest way I can say it) to have dark roots growing in.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:40 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 206/176/140

Lucky, Mine are blonde ( strawberry blonde)..That's my natural color. I afraid to put some colors in my hair. I have several people asked me what name of color you put in ur hair. I had to tell them.. No, it's my natural color. No color!

Last edited by SouthCajunGal; 12-15-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:23 AM   #15  
Sexy American Girlfriend!

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5"7"

Mine is naturally a medium brown, but I'm also all over the place.

Last summer, I was golden blond on top with dark, bright red underneath. It was wicked cool, but the roots do get bothersome about 6 weeks out and it does take quite a bit of maintenance and money, unless you do it yourself. I'm not that brave.
Closed Thread