General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #1  
Queen of Conundrums

S/C/G: 165/150/117

Height: 5'4"

Default The Dress

That's right, I went there.

So I awoke today to a twitter and facebook feed explosion of posts about the colour of a dress. "It's blue and black!" one side argues, to the dismay of side#2 who preach that it is "white and gold!"
Anyone who has dicked around on Photoshop knows how easy it is to change the levels of an image to make the colours appear more or less saturated. Changing the hue and saturation of said hue is as easy as pressing "ctrl/command + u".
It's no big deal really.

I guess my point to this thread is, what is the big deal? The entire thing is asinine.

At the end of the day it is an extremely gaudy dress.
And you are all wrong, it's pink and green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot-twitter-com-2015-02-27-15-37-12.jpg (65.5 KB, 16 views)
Halloween_Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

I'm so confused why this thing is all over the internet today. I don't get it.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 291/249/180

Height: 5'5"

What I posted on my facebook:

Ugly. The dress is ugly. End of story.

JsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #4  
Maria

S/C/G: 253/144/129.8

Height: 5' 6"

It was actually on some Greek talk show type things. On one hand, it's ridiculous. On the other hand, it's blue and black, there are other pictures of the dress where it's clear and I don't know how anyone can see it white and gold...
Marniadec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think it is interesting because it shows how people can perceive colors differently without color blindness. (I see the dress as white/gold and I really thought people were joking when they said they saw blue/black) This is beyond color blindness though because it is 2 colors being perceived totally differently.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:39 PM   #6  

I saw that too not long ago and now here too. I still don't get the whole point, my favorite answer was, "nobody cares" after you make it G rated.
kingw364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #7  
Queen of Conundrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I think it is interesting because it shows how people can perceive colors differently without color blindness. (I see the dress as white/gold and I really thought people were joking when they said they saw blue/black) This is beyond color blindness though because it is 2 colors being perceived totally differently.
I really don't think it is though.

Because everyone is viewing this image on a screen, how they perceive the colours of the image is really up to the settings of your monitor (and if you are using an old monitor, because they seriously suck). Is the monitor's brightness and contrast setting right? Are your colours balanced?
I used to do a lot of my digital art using a monitor that wasn't calibrated properly (and was an old PoS), then when I worked on the image somewhere else the colours would look different- either not as vibrant as intended, or the contrast wasn't there.

I call shenanigans on this whole debacle.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #8  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween_Hellion View Post

Because everyone is viewing this image on a screen, how they perceive the colours of the image is really up to the settings of your monitor (and if you are using an old monitor, because they seriously suck). Is the monitor's brightness and contrast setting right? Are your colours balanced?
I used to do a lot of my digital art using a monitor that wasn't calibrated properly (and was an old PoS), then when I worked on the image somewhere else the colours would look different- either not as vibrant as intended, or the contrast wasn't there.

I don't think so, I've seen the picture on 3 different screens (iMac retina, MBP retina, 3 year old HP laptop and Dell monitor), an iPad and my iPhone. My husband has seen it on the same screens and sees something completely different (he is in the blue/black camp). I know people who have said if they scroll differently on the same monitor, they can see blue/black but I only see white/gold. And maybe, I can recognize a blue tint to the white from afar.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I read this the other day, and it explained what's going on pretty well. Additionally, there's a show on Netflix called "Brain Games" that goes into artificial shading and lighting and how it can make us perceive colors differently, which is what appears to be happening with this picture.

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science...s-color-dress/
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

I also found it interesting. I saw it as blue and black and looked at the picture many times throughout the day to see if the colors would change but nope. Had 2 friends look at the same picture on my phone screen and they saw white and gold. I think it's pretty fascinating!

I was at the bar yesterday and overhead people fighting over the colors too LOL!
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #11  
Just Me

This is an interesting article in how no early languages had a word for the color blue. Egyptian did but they also had a way to make blue dye. A modern tribe with no word for blue couldn't identify a blue block among green blocks but they could identify a slightly different green block around green blocks (I couldn't)
http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...e-color-2015-2
Old 03-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #12  
Queen of Conundrums

That was actually quite an interesting read, thanks for sharing it!

Now I am that much more envious of a mantis shrimp's colour photoreceptors.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #13  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween_Hellion View Post

I first saw it as white/gold for about 20 min while I was reading an article and comments associated with it. I scrolled down, then scrolled back up and it had changed to black/blue and I cannot see the original white/gold again that I had first saw. It was all on the same screen and within a minute for me. That fascinated me.

nelie - That is extremely interesting information about the color blue, thank you for sharing.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I kept hearing about this on the radio, which you can't "see," of course. When I tried to look it up online, I couldn't find the original picture, the one that people are seeing in different colors. All I could find was sites that were showing the white and gold and the blue and black side by side, explaining why they look different to different people.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #15  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i thought it was a Photoshop trick because if you look at the background of one of the photos, it's wayyyy more washed out than the background of the other blue/black(?) dress....so I glanced at it, figured someone in Photoshop was lightening the contrast of the whole photo, and moved on about my day
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote