General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #1  

Default blew a job interview(?), now spending the weekend anxious...

Hey guys, I think I just need to vent a bit to feel better.

I had an interview today (Friday) for a job I really wanted, and it went well at first with the interviewer clearly liking me and even wanting to offer me the job on the spot.

However, we talked too long, I ended up saying something I shouldn't have, and as he probed further everything just went downhill. Toward the end, he switched to "Well, I still need to interview other candidates...", which in my experience is just a nice way to tell me not to keep my hopes up (anyone else think otherwise??).

I tried to do some damage control via a thank-you email where I made a quick note to reverse the screw-up. What I said was pretty classy and didn't reek of desperation (I asked him to let me know of his decision instead of what I really wanted to say, e.g. "Please give me the job!!!"), which only makes me feel that maybe I still have a chance.

Still, at the end of the day I still have to wait until Monday before I can get an answer, and now I'm just feeling nervous all around. I do have other interviews lined up next week so it's not like I'm all out of options, but again, this is the one job that I really wanted.
turning30andexcited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:01 AM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

<<hugs>>> I'm sorry, I know that is a terrible feeling, like you had it and then you let it slip away. But you've done everything you can to rectify the situation (well done you!) and it is a great lesson learned for future interviews to be more guarded on that particular topic.

Fingers crossed for you, I hope the interviewer can see past whatever the gaffe was to all the qualities he obviously liked!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 01-17-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

Interviews greatly depend on the person conducting it. You may be surprised. I don't know what you said, and I wasn't there to give you more feedback about it. I know my interview for my current job they make you second guess yourself on purpose to make sure you can "make a decision" and stick with it. So depending on what you interview for, the person, and what they are looking for you never know.

Whatever happens you learn from it. Don't get to hard on yourself one way or another!
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #4  

Sigh, didn't get the job.

Onward, I guess.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Sorry, hang in there. A window just opened for you somewhere, you've just got to find it (and you will!).
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #6  

It's ok that you didn't get the job, it happens.

And with my own experience, every time something didn't work out the way I wanted, it was because something bigger and better came along and I was so glad (in the end) that the first opportunity didn't work out. Of course I didn't know that when it was happening.

I have a feeling good things are coming your way!
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #7  
Warrior Princess

Sorry you didn't get it, perhaps it was a blessing in disguise. I landed a job back in 2008 that I thought was going to be a defining moment in my dental career. I was so excited and it turned out to be a 5 year nightmare that actually made me quit dental completely after working my way up the ladder since 1999.

Something better will come along.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #8  

Update:

Well, it's been two long months, but I finally got a job. Sure it doesn't pay as much, and the location's not as close, but it actually requires a degree I have and there's room for growth. Here's hoping I'll pass the probationary period.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Congrats!
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:48 AM   #10  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I interviewed for a job a few months ago, that I thought I really wanted.

When it was all said and done, the job was not for me. If they would have offered it, I would have said NO! They hired the younger gal with bigger boobs than me.

Ironically, it's ok! It is a long story.

Thing is, now I know, that is direction, I do not want to go! A negative, I made a positive!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #11  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations on the job. I interviewed yesterday (on my birthday) for a job after rage quitting my last job last week. I too felt like the interview went great and then went downhill with chit chat afterwards. We started talking about our dogs, mine is a Goliath yellow lab and I said "she eats yapper dogs for breakfast" turned out the lady doing the interview has a minpin. Oy. Glad you finally landed something and hope your probationary period goes fine.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 253/253/149

Height: 170cm/ 5 ft 7in

Congrats on getting the job!!!
I had a job interview on Thursday which I thought went awesomely well. The interviewer basically was talking as though the job was already mine. Anyway I was hoping for a call on Friday (okay expecting) and got nothing....
Monday has just gone past and Nothinggg also. So I guess I'll call them tomorrow to see whats the story. Already know I didn't get it, but its amazing how rude and inconsiderate to not even call me after two interviews!
Golda is offline   Reply With Quote