General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-10-2015, 09:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/191/140

Height: 5"6"

Default The courage to go back to school

I'm 43 and proud of it. I wasn't so proud just a few short months ago that I was in my 40's and hadn't gone to college. I did not do well academically in high school back in the 80's and instead I went into the Navy. After 9 years, I got out married and with a 2 year old. I was not wanting to drag a family all over the country every 2 years. 2 more children, life in general and negative thoughts that I couldn't do college kept me at bay of even trying. I'm proud to say that in September I finally started. I'm in a 7 month certificate program to become a Medical Receptionist but the classes are full college credit so if I decide too I can keep going and maybe I'll even get my associates. First things first I need to find a job after this program is over but even night or online classes don't scare me anymore. If you've ever thought you can't and are reading this, you can, you can, you can.
krussell94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #2  
In It to Win It!

S/C/G: 263/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

That's so awesome! And thanks for your service. You should totally decide to keep going and get your associates, and even further if you need to!
banditbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Good for you. Also a very good choice to be in a program that you can use soon but will also be the basis for ongoing courses.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/177/175

Height: 5'7

Awesome! Kudos to you. I have such respect for people who do something daunting and difficult. I also went back as a "non-traditional" student, and I found I was helped greatly in the classroom by my life experience. Best to you.
scout83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #5  
Started IP Jan 5/15

S/C/G: 210/206/165

Height: 5'7"

It is awesome you are back in school...when I was 40 I went back as well and got a bachelor. I am 49 now and just started my masters. It takes courage and perseverance but so worth it.....keep going!!!
Arobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

Woot - woot - love the post. Way to follow your heart/dream.

-Daniela
Daniela Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Going back to school was the best thing I ever did for myself. It was my last ditch effort to salvage the wreckage of my life and just doing well my first semester was the confidence boost I needed to turn everything around. I'm now 6 years into a career, am being encouraged to apply for my retiring director's job, and 60 pounds lighter.
Violette_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:13 AM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

You go girl!

Sometimes, we don't realize, all we are really capable of!

I joined WW, in 2006, like it, did good, then our leader retired. I panicked.

What, would I do? No one wanted the job. I basically volunteered. Now I'm the leader.

We are capable of more than we give ourselves credit for!

I'm totally loving helping others! And public speaking! Who knew?

I did this at 55. Scared the crap out of me. But it's all good!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

I've been kicking around the idea of going back to school, but then I talk myself out of it. Reading these posts inspires me to give it more thought.

Congrats to all of you who have done so and thanks for encouraging the rest of us to follow in your footsteps!
janby is offline   Reply With Quote