General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 237/177/175

Height: 5'7

I second the Almay color palettes to go with your eye color. http://www.almay.com/products/eyes/e...r-eye-kit.aspx I think if you want to really special, pick up an easy to apply eye liner pencil (I like the mechanical ones). L'Oreal has nice mechanical ones usually around $8 (I think it's their "Infallable" line). Don't bother with liquid liner, you'll need more time to perfect your application. If you're not great at applying makeup, just apply it on your upper lid, don't bother with under your eye.

I don't wear foundation or cover up, but I use Aveeno's tinted moisturizer. Like you, I don't have issues with acne (well, not usually) so it's perfect for just evening out my skin tone and making it look "fresh". http://www.drugstore.com/aveeno-acti...tint/qxp301351

Have fun! Let us know how it goes!
scout83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #17  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

As for brands, Cover Girl is cheap but in my experience, doesn't apply well. I'd go with Rimmel or even Wet & Wild. I personally just bought Wet & Wild mascara and it works just as well as the more pricey stuff I used to buy. The blush I bought works perfectly for my purposes as well.

Most brands nowadays have those eyeshadows that are catered towards your eye color. Honestly, I'd just go with one color unless you are skilled in the eyeshadow application department.

If you have a good complexion, you probably don't need to bother with foundation - it can be quite difficult to find a proper match. Sometimes a powder will give you a nice finish though. I use a translucent loose powder and follow with blush. Evens out the skintone just enough. Or you could buy BB cream (also available at drugstores). Works as a moisturizer, evens out skintone, and usually also has SPF. Maybelline, Olay, etc. make this (I've personally never used any FYI).

YMMV. I used to be an avid makeup wearer. I now wear it much less often and have opted to go for the cheaper stuff (especially when it comes to mascara) because it takes me so long to go through it.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Rimmel is great! Their kohl eye liners are fool proof but you do have to blend it a little with a brush. They're found at target.

For tinted lip balm I love neutrogena. They look natural. I like Burt's Bees tinted lip balms too but they have too much shimmer in them for daytime.

Cover Girl is horrible, their pressed powdered products like eyeshadow and blush don't spread.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #19  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Thank you!!! I will have to look for those before the party!

I should have mentioned that I don't do eyeliner or mascara because I have issues with pointy things around my eyes, probably because of my vision problems LOL....I've done eyeliner before too but it's a struggle to get over those issues.

Thank you all for your help! It really makes it so much easier to shop when I'm not just wandering three aisles of make up feeling lost LOL
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #20  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Cover Girl is horrible, their pressed powdered products like eyeshadow and blush don't spread.
I'm just so glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Every few years I forget, buy CG blush, and them feel like an idiot for not remembering how awful it is. Why do they even sell it???
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
Thank you!!! I will have to look for those before the party!

I should have mentioned that I don't do eyeliner or mascara because I have issues with pointy things around my eyes, probably because of my vision problems LOL....I've done eyeliner before too but it's a struggle to get over those issues.

Thank you all for your help! It really makes it so much easier to shop when I'm not just wandering three aisles of make up feeling lost LOL
If you have a wedge-shaped brush you can do a nice soft eyeliner look with powder, which isn't quite as scary to put near your eyes (because it's a brush instead of a plastic thingy). You just wet the brush a little (I lick it, but if you think that's too gross you can just brush it on a wet washcloth or a drip of water clinging to the sink), then use regular eyeshadow. You don't even need a different colour. It makes a darker line just because the brush is damp. It's also harder to mess up because it's a soft line instead of a harsh one.

Although, if a brush is still too scary I get it. Putting stuff near your eyes definitely takes some getting-used-to.

Oh, another idea though: If you'll have a friend around get them to do that part for you. Then you can have your eyes completely closed while they're putting eyeliner on you and it's WAY less scary in my experience. Mascara isn't less scary that way though.

All that said, It doesn't take much to do a pretty make-up job, and I doubt you need eyeliner or mascara to freshen up your look. Hope your event is great and that you feel beautiful.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote