General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #16  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I thought the same thing when I first watched this - that it was bashing America. I do think that's their intent. They consistently mentioned Evansville, Indiana as the "fattest city" in America in a couple of shows, and show people on the streets at their worst angles, etc. They are not trying to show us in a good light at all. However, the Americans come across as lovely people, really concerned for their British counterparts. So, actually, I'm not sure they're achieving their intent. Even though we're a fat society, we're very friendly!

Another thing I noticed (I only watched 5 or 6 shows, so this may not be entirely correct), the people they visited in America seemed to live in pretty bad conditions. I cringed at the state of their homes. I know if they were coming to visit me and I was going to be on TV, I'd tidy up and probably attempt to remodel before I ever let those cameras in! ha!

Maybe that's just one of my personal hangups. I don't like people to see my house when it's a mess. I kept thinking... I bet they scouted the location and said, "Don't touch a thing. We want to film your home just as it is - in all it's glory." I do think that some of them would've cleaned up a bit if given the chance... I felt for them. However, come to think of it, in their physical condition, I'm not sure they could've done much housework.

The show is just enlightening to me. I've been 350 lbs, and I was miserable. And, I could very well have gone higher if something hadn't clicked. I guess I'm just very empathetic to the overweight participants, and I can "feel" their pain. It's not every day that you see very large people and hear their authentic stories and struggles -- in America, we're always the butt of some joke.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #17  
diamondgeog

I watched a couple of episodes last night. Thanks for the thread. I did think the Americans were very nice and did themselves credit especially being so nice in spite of their hearbreaking conditions.

I think the show was saying yeah we have it very bad in England; this is a serious crisis. But it is even worse in America and this is where we are heading. Could they have used even heavier than on the show English? Probably.

In any event I didn't find it my cup of tea so to speak, so I probably won't watch it anymore. I also think they undersized what the supersized actually eat for the 48 hour diet exchange. But an interesting show overall. I did see on youtube another show I had never seen secret eaters that was interesting enough I got though half an episode. I glean a thing or two from a lot of these shows so they help.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 08-07-2013 at 08:39 AM.