General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #16  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

Oh how many times I've had to answer this question to myself. I adopt older, needy dogs and I have been in your situation way too many times ...

My method is very much like PUPMOM except that I choose the top 5 things and when they can longer have/do 3 of them, it's time to start making preparations for my family. See, I'm the only one who is able to assist our friends in passing so I need to help my son and husband mourn in other ways. They are to build a casket (yes, we do have a pet cemetary-we live way out in the woods), they are to put together a picture collage and pick the frame, they need to write and read a eulogy (sp?) and they need to determine what is layed to rest with them.

Then when they are unable to do the 4th item, then it is time and we are prepared. As much as you can be.

I hope you find peace if/when you need to make that decision. Is it a blessing and a curse at the same time.

My heart goes out to you.
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #17  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I actually ended up having it done Monday. He was really bad Sunday night and just laid down in the car silently the whole way there, which is just not like him at all.

It's been really strange around here...and quiet, but it will be ok.

I appreciate all of the support you all always give around here.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #19  

So sorry for your loss, Vex. You did the right thing for him, know that in your heart. He will live in your memories forever.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I'm sorry for your loss Vex
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #21  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Edit: I see you let him go. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure you did the right thing, and I do believe that there's a heaven for dogs too. God bless.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 01-25-2013 at 07:10 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #22  
Taking it 1lb at a time!

S/C/G: 291/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

My parents had a dog Im thinking around 15 years or so old. Had a huge growth on her neck they aren't really sure what it was but it had to be bandaged up daily or she would scratch it til it bleed. She was going blind and could hardly get up and down stairs. It was tough, and at the vet check ups they always would ask if the vet could see any signs of true suffering. Aside from those complications that come with old age she seemed to be very happy still, just slept a lot. One week came when things really slowed down, and then she just stopped eating and that's when they knew it was time.

I had a dog I had to put down last year. He was on medication for seizures for thyroid problems. He was only 8 years old, and its a long story-but we didn't find out until right around the time he got super sick that the medication we had been giving him for the past 4 years while it helped his seizures was killing his liver. He had a normal happy life up until the last 2 weeks. He was using the bathroom A LOT more frequently, and then the last week he wouldn't eat and could not keep any water down. We had to let him go. It was my fault for not looking up the side effects of the drug he was on, but It was also the vets fault for not telling us the side effects of the drug and that down the road it was going to get more expensive(by a couple hundred a month in medication) to keep him alive.

My friend had to put his 8 year old dog down in 2011. He jumped up on a chair and slipped a disc in his back. They took him to the vet the next day and had xrays done to see what was wrong. They did put him on pain killers while they were figuring out what to do next. In short they were unable to afford all the surgerys that he needed. They checked prices at a few local vets-but in the end decided to let him go because they didn't want him to suffer. That all happened over a 5 day period.

Im sorry Im not trying to write depressing stories. I guess what Im trying to say is so long as your dog is happy-while his health may be going down hill-just give him the best life you can until he is no longer with you. But I also agree with not letting him suffer. While you may feel it looming I know for a fact when the time actually comes, you will know. So just enjoy his company while you can.

Edit: For some reason 3fc didnt load the 2nd page for me. Im sorry for your loss Vex. All wounds heal with time.

Last edited by CocoTruffles; 01-28-2013 at 01:24 PM.
CocoTruffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #23  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

So sorry Vex for the loss of your beloved dog.
I realize how hard it is to say Goodbye to a big part of your heart.
Know that your dog was blessed to have a loving compassionate soul as you to call Their Person.
May God grant you comfort ,
Thinking of you,
Roo2

Last edited by Roo2; 01-28-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote