General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 263/262/160

Height: 5'4

My inlaws are divorced and my mil has married 3 times since. So her dh's do not count, especially since she is now divorced again. I used to call her mom, we used to be really close...until I married her son. She has mental issues, and has stated to dh and to much of her family, that I do not love dh, only she does. She reallllllly does not like me, because dh now has a family and she is not the center of attention. I try to understand, I do encourage dh to go see her..but the last straw was a year ago Thanksgiving, when she faked a mental breakdown, and we spent hours at the hospital with her and finally admitted her into a psych hosp. We spent the holiday away from our kids. What really sealed it for dh was if I was not in the room, she was "comatose" but if I walked in she frowned and made snarling noises. He's had it, she can't accept his family, he says he's done.So no, I do not call her Mom.
My fil I do call Dad. In his own way, he does love me like his own daughter. His wife....well dh won't even mutter anything close to mom at her. She really tried to cast a bad image of their own mother as they were growing up. Even though my mil is screwed up, she still will talk bad about her to dh and his sister. So no, she's not mom either. But his grandma is like a grandma to me, so I do call her grandma...and all his aunts and uncles are my family too.
Cemommster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #32  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I call my future in-laws by their first names. We've never discussed anything otherwise and they don't seem bothered by it. I noticed that my fiance's mother calls her husband's parents by their first names so I guess they don't care if I do that too. My fiance calls my parents by their first names too.

I don't know, it would be pretty weird for me to call them Mom and Dad. I could, considering that my own parents are still Mommy and Daddy :P ...I don't know why I never stopped calling them that
I still call mine mommy and daddy on occasion. I never grew out of that either. My mom calls my dad's parents 'mom and dad' and my dad always called her mom 'mama'... I am having a weird time of it because of what I've grown up with seeing and what I'm comfortable doing are different.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

I call my MIL by the same nickname that all of her kids use and I call my FIL "Pops".
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote