General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #31  
Is walking to Mt. Doom

S/C/G: 195/ticker/135

Height: 5 ft 7

I work as a Crew Trainer in a McD's when I'm not at university, and theres recently been legislation in Wales that says that they have to display calorific content on the menu boards. Now as someone who calorie counts, none of this was a surprise to me because I'd already looked them up, but the reactions of several staff members and public was quite amsing to watch. People really have no idea what they put into their bodies! No wonder obesity is such a growing problem!

Also, I think price is probubly a big factor as well. In the USA, its $1 for a double cheeseburger? In the UK it's £1.29 ($2.06) and the portions you get are slightly smaller. Thats probubly the only reason the UK is behind the US on obesity, but its still well on it's way
lilsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

Yeah I have made a lot of soups, but I can never find low sodium bullion in teh stores! Even so I still end up adding salt to my soups as I am a salt fiend!

Thanks for the estimate, that's not bad!

As far as the US goes I wish they would mandate it! They mandated it on the food we buy in the stores, so why not resturants? I am sure it's being fought tooth and nail by big cooperations because some places have such HIGH calorie contents. But really we have an obese nation, and ignorance/lack of education about nutrition is the reason.
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

What bugs me is when restaurants (fast food places or regular restaurants) have foods that they market as "healthy" when they really aren't. They'll have salads that have more calories and fat than a Big Mac, or muffins that have 400+ calories in them, yet they are marketed as being "healthy" or "light". THAT is what drives me nuts!
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLotus View Post
What bugs me is when restaurants (fast food places or regular restaurants) have foods that they market as "healthy" when they really aren't. They'll have salads that have more calories and fat than a Big Mac, or muffins that have 400+ calories in them, yet they are marketed as being "healthy" or "light". THAT is what drives me nuts!
Yeah they have a way of marketing things...the BIG loophole....that they don't associate calories with healthy..only fats or mayyyyybe sugars. JERKS!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #35  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

When I started eating healthy I found I have NO cravings for fast food anymore. It's absolutely disgusting.
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #36  

Height: 5'2"

went to chili's the other day because the bf and i were running around all day and absolutely famished. i got a simple dish of chicken tacos (i think they were called chicken club tacos), sans bacon.

i look up the calorie information later..for who knows why .. like 1600 calories! its CHICKEN, lettuce, tomato and tortillas. absurd!
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 275/230/185

Height: 5 feet, 11 inches

I believe wholeheartedly in the "Eat This, Not That" books. I'm constantly amazed at the calorie (and sodium, carb and fat) count in seemingly "safe" take out/restaurant food. However, I do get an occasional wicked craving for Jack in the Box's Jalapeno Poppers...but I don't allow that indulgence very often - just enough to not feel deprived all the time. (And I end up walking a little bit further and eating a little lighter the next couple of days afterwards.)
JessD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #38  

It's true, restaurants are so deceptive...you think something is healthy...and somehow they add 1000 calories to it! It amazes me how many calories they can pack into foods. I am sure my weekend is shot, I ate out twice....damn vacation food!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #39  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDread View Post
It's true, restaurants are so deceptive...you think something is healthy...and somehow they add 1000 calories to it! It amazes me how many calories they can pack into foods. I am sure my weekend is shot, I ate out twice....damn vacation food!
It's got to be the oil or something. Hardly anything I make comes close to what the restaurants have in it!

Has anyone tried the skinnylicious menu at cheesecake? SO FREAKING GOOD. I don't necessarily need to eat the lower calorie meals, but the tuscan chicken is too damn good for me to pass up. 590 calories (or 585 according to myfitnesspal and some of the other sites) and it's a lot of food. I totally pigged out on that the other day and was still under my calories, even though I counted it at around 700 or so. There are other things on that menu that are even less and completely tasty.

Sometimes I like ordering the lower calorie meals just so I can eat the entire thing and not have to portion it out, haha.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #40  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I used to hate cooking. My husband and I were getting fast food 4+ times a week. I even had the time to cook, but never learned. It's the reason I put on 30 pounds in 2 years.

However, one day the little cooking fairy came to me or something because one morning I woke up WANTING TO LEARN TO COOK!... and I still have the cooking streak going on. It has been a year now since then and I have lost 20 pounds. I think another deterrent for me is since my body has adjusted to eating relatively well, I am afraid of what the grease will do to my stomach. But I will admit that a Big Mac calls to me at least twice a month. I've just learned to not answer the phone! Someone also suggested a home made "Big Mac Salad" that tastes amazing.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #41  

I've never had cheesecake factory....none close by! Sounds amazing though.....

As for the cooking fairy I have been lucky to have the itch to cook. Although I grew up on a farm and we always had to cook our food...so I learned. When I got out of the house I started experimenting..love it! I still do, but I have to be even more crafty designing low calorie meals that taste good!