What supplements do you take and why?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Just thinking about what else I might incorporate, I was curious to hear about what others take and what it's for, etc.

All I take right now is a multivitamin and cinnamon, the cinnamon helps with insulin resistance.

I'd particularly be interested in anything that could help with digestion or muscle/nerve function but any reason why you take something (what it does) I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for reading, I'm open to any input.
  • I take a lot of supplements:
    Omega 3 (for obvious reasons)
    Magnesium (for nerve function and relaxation)
    B complex (for mood and nerve function)
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin E (every other day)
    Calcium
    CoQ10 (for the brain)
    Kelp (for my thyroid)

I don't take a multi.
  • My doctor recommended the following:

1. A general supplement (because I'm going on a very restrictive high-protein diet) that contains chromium to help metabolize sugar.

2. Fish oil to get omega-3 (I've begun to get varicose veins and it's been shown to help with circulation; it also helps reduce blood pressure and generally is good for your cardio-vascular health)

3. D3 to get D3 (the "sunshine" vitamin as I live in Oregon which doesn't get a lot of sun).
  • I just do the Multi Vitamin, so I am not much help.
  • my nutritionist has me on:

a multivitamin for the folic acid since I don't eat refined grains any more

a calcium + vitamin D supplement because I don't drink milk (all the sugar)

fish oil because my LDL is slightly high
  • All I can take is the Viactive women's multi vitamen carmel chews. They are the only multi vitamen that doesn't contain iodine which I am allergic to. I also like E-mergenC berry flavored packets, cause they put a pep in my step with no side effects.
  • a multi because it's a good idea, especially when on a calorie restricted diet

a cinnamon and chromium combo for insulin resistance

B12 for energy and help with iron absorption

iron because I have anemia

calcium on the extremely rare occasions that I don't get 100% RDA from my food

I'm thinking of adding fish oil
  • Fish oil
    Vitamin D
    Calcium
    Multivitamin
    Probiotics
  • A multivitamin
    Lutien (for eye health)
    D3 (I find it really helps with general wellbeing/energy)
    And I would consider this in supplements, benefiber (or similar). I don't take it every day, but every couple days.
  • Thanks for the input

I bought some fish oil this morning, the bottle says it doesn't leave an aftertaste. I'd tried it a while back and belching up fishy yuck (sorry TMI) was horrible.

I have heard of a cinnamon chromium combo pill helping people with PCOS but I checked at Walmart and couldn't find this. Does it matter if they are taken separately? Or can someone give me a name brand/merchant?

I might add some vitamin D too. It's in my multi but I haven't drunk milk since I was old enough to have a choice and don't spend much time outside so it's very possible I'm lacking.
  • My nutritionist very specifically told me to buy "odorless" fish oil. I had to look at two stores before I found a bottle that said that specifically. I haven't experienced any fishy tastes/smells or burps.
  • I take a special vegetarian Multivitamin with minerals. I need it since I don't get iron from meat anymore and too little vitamin b12.
    It is good for everyone that doesn't get enough iron, not only vegetarians. And most women have iron deficiency without knowing it.
  • I take a multi vitamin + mineral, 600 calcium with D, 82mg aspirin, fish oil, chondroitin/glucosamine, SAM-e, GABA, CoQ10.

I eat greek yogurt almost every morning. It aids in digestion with all the probiotic bacteria in it. I use cinnamon liberally in pumpkin pudding which I also have almost every morning.

Now I want to check into chromium.
  • dragonlady - The Cinnamon + Chromium I take is made by Spring Valley, the green bottle with yellow labels and caps. I get it from Wal-Mart. It comes in a "twin pack" with 180 capsules per bottle. The label says in large letters "Cinnamon 1000 mg" then smaller under that it says "Plus Chromium". You can take them separately and they will work the same, it's just cheaper and easier to get the combo pill if you can find it.
  • I started taking a multivitamin capsule with probiotics several years ago, because I was constantly getting colds and the flu and needing time off work. I read that probiotics can boost the immune system, so decided to give them a try. They've been marvellous - I've had far fewer colds and other absences since I started taking them.