General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #1  

Default The show "Who Do You Think You Are?"

I love this show! I have hardly any background on my family and I love watching the process of people uncovering the stories of their ancestors. Anybody else into it?

I know in real life, those of us that are not celebrities would have to do months and months worth of leg work to do what they are doing. But still, it's fascinating to me!
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/134.8/135

Height: 5'2"

I really like the show, too - we started watching the UK version when we were on vacation a couple years ago so it was nice to see the US version. It actually got DH and me to start looking more at our own families - we traced his dad's side back about 1000 years!
jessper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/133.4/135

Height: 5'4"

I love it too. I know my mom's family tree pretty well because an aunt tracked it down pretty far (back to relating us with President Andrew Jackson...which I'm not sure how I feel about). I would love to trace my dad's side down...my paternal grandmother raised me and used to tell me that a great, great, great, great grandmother of mine was a gypsy. I can only imagine where the genetic tree would take us from there.
asweetchicagogirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #4  
ugggg.....

I only watched the Kim Cattrall one which was very interesting...I really wanted to see Gwynth's last night...grandsons here for the weekend...I went to bed early..

My mom's family was Menneonite so there is ancestry information waaayyy back..my Dad was adopted though..that side would be interesting.

Last edited by jules1216; 04-02-2011 at 12:45 PM.
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

We love it! We haven't last night's yet. We were out of town.

I'm chasing dead people on both our sides of the family.

It might be fun to start a genealogy thread on here.

If you go to https://www.familysearch.org/, you will be able to get quite a bit of information. It is the LDS and they have been keeping records for years and years.

The library is also a great place to start. I go there to use the Ancestry software. If you have a National Archives nearby, you'll get a lot of military and census info.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #6  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I've been trying to find my mother's side
of the family. They're still in Sicily, Italy,
and years ago my great-grandmother
moved to America, leaving our family back
in Italy. I'd really, really, really love to find
them again.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
If you go to https://www.familysearch.org/, you will be able to get quite a bit of information. It is the LDS and they have been keeping records for years and years.
I'll have to check that site. I don't have much family info so it's hard to get started. But someday I hope to find the time to dig up all this stuff.

I'd love it if I could just sit down with someone, like they do on the show, and they would walk me right through the family tree (for free!). That would be great. They should do episodes with regular, non-celebrities. I might even prefer that kind of show. It'd be like Antique Roadshow but with ancestors, lol.
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogirl008 View Post
I'll have to check that site. I don't have much family info so it's hard to get started. But someday I hope to find the time to dig up all this stuff.

I'd love it if I could just sit down with someone, like they do on the show, and they would walk me right through the family tree (for free!). That would be great. They should do episodes with regular, non-celebrities. I might even prefer that kind of show. It'd be like Antique Roadshow but with ancestors, lol.
If you go to a Mormon Church Family History Center, someone there will walk you through getting started. Also, if your library has a genealogy section, there is usually a volunteer to help you get started.

If you want to PM me a couple of names and locations for some of your family, I'll see what I can find and help you get started.

Also, see my thread regarding Civil War Records.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote