General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #1  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Default WL Advise from Skinny Guys

I thought this was a REALLY interesting article:

Weight Loss Advise from Skinny Guys

It was interesting to read about food and weight from the opposite point of view.

These tips sounded good (all except the cravings one... that one, I find I can only deny a craving for so long and I just need a TASTE!)

Tips for losing fat from naturally skinny people
How can you learn to think and act like a naturally skinny person in order to reap the benefits for fat loss? Here are some tips.

Understand that you have a lot of control over your eating behaviour, regardless of your physiology.
Food is just food. It should not be used as a reward or an emotional outlet.
Reprioritize food and put it in its proper place — as something that tastes good and sustains us, but should not dominate our thinking.
Pay attention to your physical cues. Start eating when you’re physically hungry and stop when you’re physically full.
Change your expectations of fullness. Stop before you feel stuffed, or even “full”.
Understand that cravings come and go. Ignore the cravings, distract yourself, and don’t keep problem foods in the house.
Keep moving, as much as possible.
It’s OK to say no to food in social situations. The more you assert yourself, the more people will get used to it.
In order for behaviour to change, your identity has to change. Skinny guys have to think of themselves as bigger and more muscular; heavier folks have to think of themselves as working towards being lean athletes.
Portion sizing is important. Your idea of the correct portion may be wrong.
Change requires practice. The more you practice eating smaller (or larger) meals, the more your body will get used to it.
Make your behaviours match your goals. If you’re constantly acting in ways that self-sabotage, you either need to change the behaviours or your goals. In any case, be realistic and honest about what you are doing.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #2  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

What a great article. Thanks for sharing!

I fall into the category of emotional/habitual eater... it's a hard habit to break, but it's really interesting to get a totally different perspective. Great ideas to keep in mind.
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #3  
Stubborn

S/C/G: 195/1175/145

Height: 5'5"

when I was in High School I was in terrific shape and was 'Naturally thin' Everyone would be such a jerk about it and tell me at least 59 times a day how lucky I was. Turned out I just liked sports and I only ate what my parents made me which was stir-fried, rice, spaghetti and meat+veg combos.
I didn't gain any weight until I injured my hip/back playing rugby and replaced my sports with cooking. 1 year and 60 Lbs later they didn't really bug me about being skinny anymore!
I think there are very few people who literally eat everything and anything and don't gain weight.
Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote