General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #1  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Default helped a stranger on Friday - made my weekend!

Just thought I would share, it made my whole weekend and thought it might make a few people smile...

My friend Toney and I were having some tea in Berkeley on Friday evening. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that there was an older gentleman with a cane (and a hardhat on) that was about to run into a parked car. He had gotten about 20 ft wayward while trying to cross the street and it seemed like he might need help. I bolted up, and offered to help, then gently guided him (mostly verbally but with a light arm touch after asking) back on his way. Took about 1min. And of course made me feel so great!

Now ok that did make my night, but you know what was even better? The story my friend Toney told me. He said about 2 weeks earlier he was sitting in his car at a busy intersection in the same neighborhood. He watched a different struggling blind man unable to cross the street due to how quick it cycled. My friend waited 3 full cycles of the light in his car, with no one helping the blind man.

Toney drove thru the intersection, circled to a side street, parked, walked back, and asked the man if he needed help. He did and then noted aloud that several UC Berkeley college kids were obviously standing right there and why the heck didnt they help?! Toney helped him across the street, crossed back and then wisely addressed the kids standing around. Toney expressed disappointment, not anger - and helped the people learn a lesson by not reprimanding them and making them defensive.

Man I have some great friends
xty is offline   Reply With Quote