General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #16  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Otherwise, as long as she's had her exercise that she needs, she's a perfect gentlewoman when greeting guests.
Exercise is so important. I feel like people REALLY underestimate the amount of physical activity that a dog needs. Ours was owner-surrendered back to the shelter because she was "too active". First off, she's part shepherd and was about a year old at the time, so I'm not sure what they expected, but second, honestly, she's not that active! Give her a good walk, then let her run her fool head off at the park, and she sleeps pretty much the entire rest of the time.

I have a love-hate relationship with the dog park, honestly. I love it because my dog loves it, and is a really good dog park candidate (not aggressive to dogs or people, playful, very good at dog-appropriate play, very good at giving clear warnings when she's getting bothered and giving other dogs a chance to back off, very attuned to whether other dogs are getting overwhelmed and good at backing off, good with dogs of all sizes, good at listening to her commands when distracted so she is under my control, etc).

But I don't like it because most of the other dogs aren't like that, and are either not dog-friendly enough to be at the park (either because they are scared of other dogs or dog-aggressive) or not under good enough owner control to prevent problems. Plus the owners who bring in their dogs with tons of pent up energy from being inside all day and the dogs just go nuts. We're careful to read the energy of the place before we go in and monitor appropriately. Ellie has some good playfriends at the park, so usually things go alright during the week (with the owners who are out at the same time every night, your dogs learn to play well together). Weekends are iffier, because you end up with a lot of strange dogs who don't get enough exercise during the week and don't have a lot of park experience flooding in.

One more pet peeve - people who accuse me of being over-cautious with Ellie around other creatures (people, dogs, whatever). For example, yesterday, Ellie had a tennis ball and decided she didn't want the other dogs to have it, so another dog came close and she raised her lip back in the "I am about to snarl at you" warning pose. I immediately took the ball away, because she's not allowed to guard her stuff like that. Other owners were like "Oh, the dog taking it needs to learn"...um, no. I am preventing an undesireable behavior in my dog...if it was a toddler taking the ball away from her, would it still be OK for her to growl? No! So let me train my dog please! I'm also very attuned to what is "play" and what is "discomfort" from my dog, and can't count the number of times that Ellie has been getting uncomfortable and throwing warning signs, and I've called her away from whatever the situation was, and been told "Oh, they're just playing". YOUR dog is playing, maybe. Mine just curled her lip up, and that's her sign that she is DONE. The ones who say this, BTW, are always the ones whose dogs are humping other dogs, jumping on the people, and generally under poor control.

I'm rambling. Clearly this has been on my mind!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:38 AM   #17  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

I couldn't agree more! I am a dog owner and I put a lot of work and effort into training her! so she doesn't do these behaviors! I too have found people who think I'm too strict with her or I'm not letting her have fun just being a dog, but yet at the same time people will say you have the best behaved dog ever and she's so smart and well trained.. well it's because OF that time and trianign I spend on her she's that way if I just let her act hyper and do what she wants then she wouldn't be so well behaved! I'm a huge fan of Cesar Milan the dog whisperer and I use all his techniques and they really really work! Dogs feed off our energy and if we are calm and in control our dogs will stay calm and in control- and on the occasion they do an undesirable behavior they need to be corrected on the spot.

I noticed a lot of people saying they avoid certain places because they are scared their dog might bite or might do this or that.. if you fear it, it will most likely happen, try to not be scared, be in control but calm. your dog with the proper time and energy spent on them will learn how to behave, you jstu have to envision it happening and make it happen
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #18  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

Love animals - sometimes it's the owners I dislike! I was walking to work one day and a black lab came jumping up on me. Mind you, he wasn't off leash, he was on one of those flexi leashes so it was getting all wrapped around me. So I guess it was ok. At least the owner said it was, said the dog was just playing.

I said I wasn't. Idiot.
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
For example, yesterday, Ellie had a tennis ball and decided she didn't want the other dogs to have it, so another dog came close and she raised her lip back in the "I am about to snarl at you" warning pose. I immediately took the ball away, because she's not allowed to guard her stuff like that. Other owners were like "Oh, the dog taking it needs to learn"...um, no. I am preventing an undesireable behavior in my dog...
ah! isn't that like Cesar Milan's number one rule too? Don't let the behavior escalate - watch for and be attuned to the warning signs and snap them out of it right away!

~BreathingSpace~
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote