General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #16  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

GREAT work!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Well I was inspired to finally jump on my roomie's wheel. Man does that thing have a learning curve! On most wheels, the peddal controls the speed, the harder you press the faster it goes. On his wheel there seems to be just one speed, fast! Also his wheel rotates clockwise and I'm used to counterclockwise. When he gets home I'm going to ask him if there is a switch (a lot of wheels can go both ways).

So I didn't successfully make anything today, but I at least got some practice.

ruby- you must surely have a lot of patience. Of all the mediums I've tried, I thought jewelry took the most! I can't handle all the finishing work.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I'm having trouble w/ the uploading, but here is a url

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=f19a209d3d

It's for my facebook album of all my papercuttings. Instead of drawing with a pen or painting, I cut images from paper. The very last one in the album is a papercut portrait of Keith Richards.

I've promised myself that I'll scan all my work, even if I don't like it.

I also draw some....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=6b6cab9e52
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #19  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

ruby2sday - I love your jewelry! I am a freak for homemade jewelry. And Ashley your pottery is beautiful.

I did pottery several years ago, but the cost of supplies and renting studio time just got to be too much. There was something so therapeutic and inspiring about the potter's wheel. *sigh* I miss it.

And I do something called art journaling. It's basically creating a page using art - painting, drawing, creating a collage, etc. - to give expression to a thought or feeling. It's hard to explain; if you google it, you'll get tons of info and examples. I love the freedom of it; there is no right or wrong, just expression.

I think I have some photos of stuff I've made on a flashdrive somewhere. I'll have to look.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #20  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Optical Goddess, your post come up when I was composing mine. The papercutting sounds intriguing (and your work is lovely). What's the process?
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #21  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Ruby2sday... I'm curious if you took the photos of your jewelry ? If so, I think you may have another 'talent'... they look very professional the layouts are beautiful...
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

O.G.- very cool

Rochester- I was an art education major in Uni and visual journals are VERY popular in art ed now. Have you seen Dan Eldon's journal? His family published it, it's called The Journey is the Destination and it's amazing!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

It's kind of like making snow flakes out of paper. Early on I used construction paper but use fine card stock, a cutting mat and an exacto knife withh lots of blades.

The patterns come from different sources, such as stain glass patters, silhouettes, just drawing them, the cessna was taken from a photo of a cessna..it was a gift....some are symmetrical, so it's folded, some aren't.
When I have more time and less going on in my life I'm going to invest in some origami paper for more delicate cuttings.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

OMGS!! YAYYYYYY i didnt know we had a CRAFTY BUNCH!!!! when i get home i'm gonna be POSTING! woot woot!

crochet/sewer here.. i make amigurumi!
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

this is a great thread!

i'm working on a traditional mexican embroidered dress.

it's the first dress i'm making, and it's obviously very far from being done.. but i'm excited to see how it turns out.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #26  

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'4"

WOW, HELLO ALL!!!

How wonderful that so many of you have posted, just today. All that beautiful work! Keep em' comin'!
HoneyMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=f1c319702d
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=8dc7ba035d

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=d5a990fcf9
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/170

OMG you guys are seriously so talented! I'm loving seeing everyone's work. I don't have many opportunities to discuss craftiness with many because all of my friends are not the crafty type, and they just look at me like .. ummm okay! lol

Optical - Wow on that papercutting! Now that looks like it takes a lot of patience.

Rochester - I also do art journalling! How cool is that?! I love it. Helps me relax

Sweetcaroline - I actually do take my own photos for my shop. They are all done on my kitchen window sill .. but shhhhhh don't tell! lol Thanks so much for the comment Photos have been a struggle for me, and I think I have greatly improved since the beginning of my shop. Nice to know I'm heading in the right direction.

Photography is actually one thing I would love to learn as well one day I really envy those that can take amazing photos.

therex - That is going to be beautiful when it's done.

Can't remember who commented on patience for jewellery, but yes, I suppose you are right. All of the steps, especially for my metalwork jewellery, and the finishing, does test my patience some days Probably anything that we create requires some patience.

Can't wait to check in next time and see more crafty goodness!
ruby2sday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #29  
Kayla

S/C/G: 290/269/150

Height: 5'2

I cant post pics yet but I make tutus and hairbows for my daughter. I just got through making her a silver and white tutu with little diamonds on it for my mother in laws wedding, I can't wait for her to wear it!
klambeth82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/170

[QUOTE=kaplods;3359445]
I've got an etsy id: WindsofWhimsy, but I haven't built my store yet, or even used it to buy (I understand that sellers do best if they've built a positive rating by buying a few items before they start selling).

Kaplods .. I think getting some positive feedback helps, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. When I opened my shop, I had no feedback at all, and got sales. I also know personally, I have bought from new shops with no feedback if I really wanted the item.

IMO more importantly is to get your shop set up nicely, have great pics, and be consistent in listing items and having a good selection. In other words, be ready to work your butt off! lol If you ever have any questions, please feel free to ask

If you go for it, best of luck to you!
ruby2sday is offline   Reply With Quote