General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/SeeTicker/155

Height: 5' 9"

Default Grandmothers, How Old Were Your Granddaughters ...

.... when they started using mascara, tinted lip gloss, etc. I have a 12 yr. old DGD that wants to use mascara??? Of course, that is a parental decision but just wondered about others. Also, at what age did you notice granddaughters "growing away" from you, when you've been very close? As in, preferring phone and computer time with friends, etc. versus cookie-baking and movies with Grandma, etc? All normal, I'm sure, but wondering about others?

Thanks ...
babenwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #2  
mom2cole

I am not a grandma, but I was about 12 when I started with makeup, but my grandma has always had a special place in my heart! I am almost 30 and still learning new things about her, like she didn't know how to cook when when she got married to my grandpa, (she is an awesome cook now!). After their first year of marriage my grandpa bought her a cookbook because he was tired of eating so poorly! Grandmas are great, just give her some space but maybe find something else you two can enjoy now she is older.
mom2cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #3  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I'm not a grandma either..but I started using makeup when I was 12. I dont think I ever drifted away from my grandparents when I was younger. They helped raise me. When I got into my own stuff, they were still part of my life. Maybe not a major part like before..but they were always there. I still spent time with them. We used to go to the movies, or go shopping, etc. They were there to take pics of me for both of my proms. I wanted my grandpa to give me away at my wedding..but he fell and broke his hip before the wedding, so he didnt get to give me away. You can always find other activites to do with your granddaughter. Play on the computer with her, take her shopping, etc. Grandparents are really important..and I miss mine a lot.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #4  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

Im not a grandma either but Id say around 12 or 13 is when I started wearing makeup. Just around junior high. Ive always been close with my grandma but I could say just as my teen years started is when Id rather be out with friends. But as I have gotten older Ive gone back to spending more time with her. Not so much baking cookies but we talk on the phone constantly and we see each other atleast weekly.
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #5  
Be happy.

I have a good friend going through this right now.

Amber is in 5th grade this year and between sports and student council and dance classes she's busy after school every day and most Saturdays, too. When they do get some time together Amber is more interested in talking on her cellphone or listening to her iPod than doing things with Nana.

As you said, it's normal and it doesn't mean the love has changed any, but it is hard - and it happens so fast.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I was around 9 or 10 when my parents let me play with makeup in the house. 11 or 12 when I was allowed to wear some of it outside the house (tinted lip gloss and light mascara, no blush until high school), but I was 16 or 17 before my parents no longer utilized their veto power (making me wash my face before leaving the house, if I put it on too thick).

It seems to me that the age of makeup use isn't changing all that much - but the amount children are wearing does seem to be. Though I'm more disturbed by the "sexiness" of clothing designed even for prepubescent children (and sometimes even infants - does a toddler really need a bikini. For some reason I'm more disturbed by a toddler in a bikini than a toddler in just a diaper).

It's funny that I'm so prudish in some regards and so blase' about others.

Last edited by kaplods; 12-29-2009 at 01:42 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #7  
Addicted to potato salad!

My daughter was a little young with minimal makeup. But my reasoning was that she was very early with puberty...NINE when she got her period! With that came the oily skin and blemishes in fifth grade, so I let her wear powder to stop the shine and then she looked like a ghost, so I got her mascara and clear lipgloss (lip smakers). She didn't start with eye shadow and other things till she was in junior high.

As for clinginess to gramma...my daughter is now 15-almost-16 and still loves to stay over at grammas and have ice cream and movies. LOVES it. She's not in a hurry to grow up at all...I'm glad.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife View Post
My daughter was a little young with minimal makeup. But my reasoning was that she was very early with puberty...NINE when she got her period!
I was too! 9 or 10 (I was in 4th grade), and I had to laugh, because it made me remember that that my mom didn't consider tinted clearasil or baby powder as makeup - so I tried putting it all over my face (and then used baby powder to bring down the shine) to get around the rule of no foundation (It didn't fly, and I must have looked ridiculous - because my parents tried unsuccessfully not to laugh).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:44 AM   #9  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

wow im not a grandmother but i wanna add my 2 cents in lol. I was a junior in high school when i 1st started using make up and that was only to partys not to school. We were not allowed to use make up lip gloss yeahthat was fine. My mom would let my sister and i play dres up through with make up but we alwaysed was it off after...
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:26 AM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Not a grandpa here yet...dang....but old enough to be one!

I think it is normal for young girls to start experiencing with make-up around 12....

there is a big difference between "a little" make-up look and the "looking for business" look....

I also think that around that same age of 12 is when kids start making a little distance from parents and grandparents....all adults really....as they take that next step towards being a young adult...

this can all be done in a very healthy way and is normal....

if the child has been raised properly I am sure all will work out...

Is there an "empty nest" thing for grandparents?...wink
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I was one of the early bloomers too, period at 10, make up outside the house by 11 or 12. I have two grandmas who I am very close with, but not like before. When I was younger I was perfectly content sleeping over grandmas and being away from friends. I think it must have been around junior high or high school when it began to feel like I was "missing something exciting" when I stayed at my grandmothers rather than going out with friends. Now I am 20 and I'm at a very different place in my life than when I was 16 or 17. Living with my fiance has made me think about my own grandparents relationships and I guess I see them in a different light. Even when I was 16 I saw them as people who I loved dearly but as people who didn't understand certain things about my current life, but as I've become more of an adult, I think I see some "universal" issues on which I can use their experience and advise.

That was long lol, bottom line.. I think it is perfectly normal but I can totally understand your feelings. If I could offer you any advise it would be to try and stay current. If you feel her makeup is inappropriate, leave that up to her parents. It would be great if you could somehow let her know that you were a teenager too and dealt with many of the same issues with boys and friends etc. It may help her to see that she can go to YOU for advise because you understand her life.

Good luck
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I was too! 9 or 10 (I was in 4th grade), and I had to laugh, because it made me remember that that my mom didn't consider tinted clearasil or baby powder as makeup - so I tried putting it all over my face (and then used baby powder to bring down the shine) to get around the rule of no foundation
Oh my, my face turned red and raw just reading that!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote