General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/SeeTicker/155

Height: 5' 9"

Default "Twilight" ... Appropriate For An 11+ Year Old?

My DGD will be visiting this summer. She had wanted to see this movie last year, but I said "too young." She is 11 years 8 months now, and mature for her age. We've had "the talks" and she has seen the puberty movies at school, of course. I am debating whether to go ahead with it this summer? Thanks for any opinions, girls! (I haven't read the books or seen it myself.)
babenwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Honestly no- maybe the first 2 books, but the third and fourth are sexual in my opinion- specially the last one where (SPOILER ALERT) they get married and go on their honeymoon and have sex and so on. In the third she keeps wanting to have sex but the guy keeps saying no....

My advice THOUGH is she's your daughter and YOU know her best- so if you can why not read the books yourself and if you think they are okay for her then allow her to read them? I'm a quick reader it took me about two weeks to get through reading just a bit a day.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/171.8/150

Height: 5'10"

If you mean the movie, then I would say yes it would be fine for an 11-12 year old. There is some violence but all in all not bad. And there is no sex at all in this 1st movie.
chelley123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/SeeTicker/155

Height: 5' 9"

beerab, thanks for your reply. This is my granddaughter, not my daughter. I tend to think kids see too much too young today, and I sometimes try to figure out if I'm just "an old fogey!"

chelley, thanks for your reply. The thing I'd heard about the movie that gave me pause was that at one point they were laying on top of each other in their undies??? I should rent it and watch it ahead of her visit ... see if anything makes me uncomfy, huh?

Last edited by babenwaiting; 06-12-2009 at 11:10 AM.
babenwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I think Book 1 would be perfectly fine. I am a strict mother of two girls too! I don't know about the others--I never read them.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Oh, and yes. The movie should really be fine for that age.

The romance is intense but chaste.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #7  

Height: 4'11"

I read the book and saw the movie before I let my 11 year old do either. I did not find them objectionable. There is some kissing, but actually it's about resisting sex even though you want to do it-- a good message IMO. I can't comment on the others because I haven't read them, but being as it's borderline material, my kids won't be reading/watching them until I do
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I think it couldn't hurt to sit down and talk about what real love is - it is not being a subservient doormat! It's okay if movies are over the top, but comparing fantasy to reality would be a good idea (ie it's not a good idea to love your boyfriend so much you would die and give up your entire friends/family/life to be with him as Bella wants to do). I would definitely point out that it is NOT sexy when a guy breaks into your room to "watch you sleep" or disables your car to keep you from going someplace.

Last edited by Glory87; 06-12-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #9  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

My 10 year old sister wantd me to buy the movie and the books and i told her no..If she was older that would be one thing. I told her she needs to stick with her disney movies, NickTV and so on for a little while yet. I just dont think it is something she should see yet!
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #10  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

The movie would be fine - but I wouldn't suggest the books.
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Oops sorry- I swear I saw DD not DGD! That's what I get for reading in the morning! lol.

Me personally I think the last books are a bit more racy for an 11 year old- but maybe if the two of you read the series together or you read it first and then talk about them that might be best?

I would personally explain to her that their relationship is NOT healthy- that good relationships don't involve watching your every move and disabling your car...

Yeah just read it! It's a good series. Haha can you tell I'm a fan?
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

i didnt see the movie but based on the first book i think it would be fine. the books get progressively more adult themed. also just watch it yourself first and anything you think is questionable either you will know she cant watch it or you can discuss that specific moment with her beforehand/afterward to make sure everything is clear.
caitybates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #13  

I agree 100% with Glory - that is what bothers me most about the series; it gives girls the wrong impression about what a HEALTHY relationship truly is. Now you have 10- to 15-year-olds dreaming about their "perfect Edward" when in reality, his actions would label him as a stalker, dangerous, etc.

So as far as nudity/sex go, it's OK for her to see the movie, but the underlying message it conveys needs to be balanced out by a conversation with her that this is not what she should be looking for in a guy.
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I think it couldn't hurt to sit down and talk about what real love is - it is not being a subservient doormat! It's okay if movies are over the top, but comparing fantasy to reality would be a good idea (ie it's not a good idea to love your boyfriend so much you would die and give up your entire friends/family/life to be with him as Bella wants to do). I would definitely point out that it is NOT sexy when a guy breaks into your room to "watch you sleep" or disables your car to keep you from going someplace.
Yes this is true. I spoke with my DD about this aspect of the book. We both agreed Edward and Bella didn't exactly have a "healthy" relationship.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelion View Post
I agree 100% with Glory - that is what bothers me most about the series; it gives girls the wrong impression about what a HEALTHY relationship truly is. Now you have 10- to 15-year-olds dreaming about their "perfect Edward" when in reality, his actions would label him as a stalker, dangerous, etc.
Agree 100% too. That behavior is not love, *and* perfection is not what you get in a guy in this life/universe (nor what he gets from you).
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote