General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:30 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 275/275/170

Height: 5'5"

I'm just starting "Gods in Alabama," by Joshilyn Jackson. Her other book, "Between, Georgia" is one of my favorites so I'm sure this one will be great too.
RachelOnADiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #32  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
started reading Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea. Pretty funny stuff so far.

I've seen this title before and was thinking of getting it. Let me know how you like it.
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Siddhartha by Herman Hesse - An interesting story of a man search of his ultimate "self". The writing style is very wierd and choppy, but that is probably the translator's fault and not the author's.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearFreak View Post
I've seen this title before and was thinking of getting it. Let me know how you like it.
So far I like it, just over half done. Her sense of comedy could offend some people, but you can say that about a lot of books.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #35  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

Thanks for the heads up BornToFly. I doubt her sense of comedy would bother me. It takes a lot to infuriate me. Just reading the title of the book, should ward of those whom are a bit less into that comedic read. Again, thanks for the info. Happy Reading!!!
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearFreak View Post
Thanks for the heads up BornToFly. I doubt her sense of comedy would bother me. It takes a lot to infuriate me. Just reading the title of the book, should ward of those whom are a bit less into that comedic read. Again, thanks for the info. Happy Reading!!!
you bet! if you read it be sure to tell me what you think of it.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #37  
Warning 3FC Addict

S/C/G: 256.6/225.2/155-ish

Height: 5'11"

Unhappy ;p

Waiting for the 1st book in a series by C.E. Murphy. B&N is taking their sweet time getting it in despite telling me otherwise, yet again...
Seems like forever since my last read. The ToBeRead pile is starting to glare at me.
*whimper*
zanheltangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #38  

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy - I'm still trying to figure out everyones' names. Russian novels are difficult that way as everyone has at least two different names, and sometimes more.......but it is very interesting, and I am enjoying it.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I finished reading I Am Charlotte Simmons - wow, it was definitely interesting. I think Wolfe was skewering the naval gazing, SUV driving, drinking, moneyed, oversexed college generation. All of the characters were pretty unlikeable, but I was completely fascinated at how he captured so many truths of college life (and so many hyperboles!).

I thought Charlotte was intriguing, I definitely wasn't as book smart as Charlotte when I was in school, but I wasn't as socially inept either - but I could see some of my younger, college self in her behavior. Laughing like crazy at nothing, so everyone around will THINK she's having a wonderful time, for example. It's very ME ME ME ME ME - pay attention to ME.

Wolfe writes BRICKS of text, entire pages of text without paragraph breaks. I found myself having to go back and re-read pages to make sure I got everything.

Now I'm reading The Girl She Used to Be which is definitely a lot lighter. It's almost "chick lit" which is surprising considering the subject matter - mafia and the witness protection agency.

Last edited by Glory87; 05-14-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #40  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Still working on Superfoods Rx.

I am also reading a copy of WW Magazine from December.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #41  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I'm finishing up Forever Odd, the 4th book in the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz. It's fun.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #42  

I just finished A Guide to Elegance by Genevieive Antoine Dariaux. I'm also reading Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior by Judith Martin and Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert.

Last edited by MonteCristo; 05-18-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 148/109/105

Height: 5'3

Reading Mr. White's Confession by Robert Clark for my summer book club. Very interesting mystery story, written from the point of view of the detective as well as the suspect.

Catch: Suspect has a memory problem and can't remember things that didn't happen either a few minutes ago or several years ago. Everything in between in a blur. He keeps journals and makes scrapbooks with newspaper articles so he can keep track of public life...

Only 1/3 way through, but liking it a lot so far!
Biju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

i just finished reading "Revolutionary Road". The movie looked good, so I figured I would read the book first. It was alright....not one of my favorites though.

I have had "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Piccoult sitting on my shelf for over a year now. Everyone has been telling me to read it because it's supposed to be really good!!! That might be my next one.
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chele615 View Post
i just finished reading "Revolutionary Road". The movie looked good, so I figured I would read the book first. It was alright....not one of my favorites though.

I have had "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Piccoult sitting on my shelf for over a year now. Everyone has been telling me to read it because it's supposed to be really good!!! That might be my next one.
I didn't like Revolutionary Road either. Made me NOT want to see the movie.

I've been on a non-reading kick, but am back at reading Pretty in Plaid by Jen Lancaster. Still not the best of her books, but it is entertaining. I had started Pride and Prejudice, but it bothered me. I may or may not go back to it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote