General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #16  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I wonder if she will WANT a makeover? I mean, what girl wouldn't?

(As sure as I say that, someone will pop on here and say, "ME!")
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #17  
Workin' It

Wow. Just wow. Her voice is phenomenal, but her willingness to stand there and sing with the looks and comments directed at her was even more amazing. Wow.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #18  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

wow, she made me cry too. and i don't cry that easily over this kind of stuff. Jeeze-o-crow, she is amazing.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If she doesn't want to change her appearance, that's fine with me, but I think it would be rather exploitive if they don't give her the same opportunities that they give other contestants. Usually, part of the American Idol process, is that they get coaches to polish their stage presence, including their appearance and choice of material, etc. I don't know if that's usually part of the Britain's Got Talent, or not- but if it is, she deserves the same opportunities as the other contestants. It would be a shame if they "ugly her up" as much as possible to increase the shock value.

I really think that just having her eyebrows thinned a little, and doing nothing else, would transform her face.

Apparently she's getting a lot of offers (proffesional, and romantic, as well).

That she's gotten several romantic letters "of interest," from men is so sweet, I think (considering that she mentioned never having been kissed, but that she wasn't advertising - looks like it had that affect, anyway - how could it not, with that voice).

If she pursues a music career, my guess is that someone along the way will polish her up, a bit. Although, maybe that's a little sad in a way too, because we so rarely see normal-looking people standing out. We don't expect much from ordinary people.

The thing is, if she had had a great, but less amazing voice, they might have been "mildly" surprised, but they would pass her over because of her appearance (they've done it many times before - polish yourself up because you don't have a professional appearance, bye). She had to knock their socks off to get their attention (and she did), but if she had been gorgeous, much less would have been expected of her before they declared "she's got talent."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 294/230/168

Height: 5"6

What Amanda was saying was that the whole experience just now was so overwhelming for Susan to deal with (the unprecedented media attention etc.) that they didn't want her worrying too much about changing her appearance just now. They just want her to concentrate on her singing and getting through the various stages of the competition without having to worry what she looks like.

You can't say for sure, but I really cannot see beyond her winning the competition and being the one to perform for the Queen at the Royal Variety Performance. Even if she doesn't, stardom beckons for her. I think once the competition is over, we will see a slightly re-modelled version of her.

On another note, since her performance I have been unable to get "I Dreamed A Dream" out of my head!!! Fabulous song. I love Les Mis.

Wonder what she will sing in the next round?

Last edited by MissVitality; 04-17-2009 at 12:00 PM.
MissVitality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #21  

Here is Susan singing "Cry Me a River" on a 1999 charity CD produced by her local newspaper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ETP...eature=related

Just stunning!

Last edited by MissVitality; 04-17-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #22  

She has such an amazing voice. Seriously, Cry me a river brought me to tears
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #23  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVitality View Post
Here is Susan singing "Cry Me a River" on a 1999 charity CD produced by her local newspaper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ETP...eature=related

Just stunning!
Miss vitality thanks for posting that.

Haven't read the Record in a few years.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #24  
Sports Goddess

S/C/G: 265/120.2

Height: 5'4"

Gotta love her & the story.
AAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #25  
Addicted to potato salad!

OMG...I love her to pieces...right down to the saggy brastraps.

I hope she sings cry me a river at the next show!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #26  

Clydegirl - I had seen your username on the forum a few times before and wondered if you had a connection to Glasgow. Take it you are originally from here?
Old 04-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #27  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVitality View Post
Clydegirl - I had seen your username on the forum a few times before and wondered if you had a connection to Glasgow. Take it you are originally from here?
Born and bred in Greenock. Live in Illinois now.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #28  

Clydegirl - I won't ask where you prefer living

Some other acts from last week's Britain's Got Talent for your entertainment:

For sheer comedy value, watch these Greek Irish Dancers (hilarious father and son act):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gHvATmUsSg

and brilliant dance act, Flawless (got a standing ovation from Simon Cowell, no less!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GrOM...eature=related

Enjoy!

Last edited by MissVitality; 04-18-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
She is amazing. There was a similar "dark horse" story last year on Britain's Got talent, named Paul Potts. I've watched this dozens of times and it always brings me to tears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA
Yeah it was the same thing as with Suasan Boyle. Because they were overweight and unattractive the judges and the audienced prejudged them and were surprised that they had beautiful voices. It was a perfect example of don't judge a book by it's cover.

As a musician myself it is even more emotional for me because I KNOW that there are millions and millions of artists who have lived and died that will never be known by the world.

Paul Potts went from middle aged phone phone salesman to superstar popera singer and it was a wonderful thing to see.

Now Susan Boyle I am sure will soon do the same. Whether she wins or not she has captured the heart of the world and she will have fame and fortune even if she doesn't win (and I hope she does).

The judges AND the audience were laughing AT HER before she started. But no one is laughing now.

Her story is almost tragic. The youngest of 9 kids and the last at home and the one tasked with taking care of their mother and her mother lives to 91 so Susan ends up a spinster and never gets to experience a family of her own.

And because of an accident at birth it leaves her a little brain damaged and because of this the neighborhood kids taunt her.

She has never known love, or been held by someone who loves her, never even shared a passionate kiss in her entire life. She is 47 and had resigned herself to the fact that it is never going to happen.

Well her life is going to be forever changed now. I only hope that she can see the the wolves that will come after her smelling an easy prey.

She has the chance that every musician, actor or artist only dreams of.

I become fillied with emotion everytime I see this because even the song she sang is of dreams and hers is coming true. It is much, much MORE than just winning a contest it is finally being able to do what you were born to do!

Last edited by flatiron; 04-18-2009 at 09:51 AM.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #30  

Flatiron - that's a great post, thanks for that.

Susan seems to be becoming a bit of a worldwide phenomenon. The show producers have had to install a minder at her home to help her cope with the amount of attention she is receiving - including letters and flowers from all over the world. It must be overwhelming to go from a simple, humble life one day to international fame the next.