General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #1  

Unhappy Unemployment rate & possible laziness?

This is something I've found interesting recently in my area. There seem to be more people who are being laid off because of companies being shut down or down-sizing, etc. I started selling a product in October of 2008 and, so far (knock on wood), seem to be doing pretty well with my business--just from people LOOKING FOR ME--in other words, I haven't done a lot of heavy advertising or anything. Most people are really excited when they call me, saying things like--"OMG, I've been looking for a 'product-name' sales person forever! I need warranty/to have a party, etc.etc." Soooo, here lately, when I hear someone talking about being off work or being broke or about the economy being So bad I ask them (NO PRESSURE, believe me, because I KNOW direct selling isn't for everyone) if they'd be interested in selling the product I sell. No surprise most people say no. WHY? I mean I can totally understand LEGITIMATE reasons--can't talk in front of people, not a sales person, don't like asking people to buy, can't stand the product, etc. BUT if you need a job and you really want to work, why wouldn't you do something to start making money?

My favorite answer from someone so far, though, who has been out of work for about three weeks now is "I want to draw all of my unemployment benefits."

Anyway, I guess this has been a pointless vent about the economy being "bad" because some people just DON'T WANT TO WORK. I don't know. Maybe I'm frustrated from the "business owner" p-o-v, too, because I hear so many people complaining about not being able to work then, when presented with an opportunity, talk about how they'd RATHER sit at home collecting unemployment benefits.

Feel free to bash & disagree aloud (although I didn't intend this post to offend anyone!). Promise I can take it.
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hmm this is a hard one and I'm not sure what I'd do if I got laid off. I can tell you though that I rather cut off a toe than go into sales. If I got laid off and had trouble finding a job, I'd do 1 of 2 things.

1) Go back to school while still looking for a job
2) Volunteer some place and still look for a job
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #3  

You know, Nelie, that's another "gripe" I have--this one particular person, when laid off, was given the choice of going back to school tuition paid by the co. doing the laying off!!! Of course, it HAS only been 3 weeks (well, technically 4 weeks now, since I talked to her last week), so she may decide to take that offer. I don't know how long it was good for.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Direct sales isn't for everyone (I've been doing it for about 5 years, selling romance products and when I first got into it I just wanted the stuff at a discount lol I had a great job but Hurricane Katrina destroyed it, this biz helps funds my wildlife rehab)....and if it is something they might want to try the doubts are still there if they can make money in it or not plus you have to spend money for start up costs, etc....it can be a scary thing to get into ya know? There is only about 1/3 of people that get into it and stay in it. I would never consider it them being lazy if they don't want to try it.

They might not just be into doing sales either.

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 03-02-2009 at 12:07 PM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #5  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I hate selling! And I would rather go work at McDonald's flipping burgers than have to sell. That's just my personality - please don't think I'm criticizing your choice of job, I just know I couldn't do it. That said, if I lost my job, I probably would use my unemployment benefits while I looked for a job that was something I liked doing and something I was trained to do. I've worked full time 20+ years, so if I lost my job, I have a right to use the unemployment benefits that my employer has paid into, and I would do that.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #6  

Like I said, I totally understand legit reasons for not wanting to sell because, like I also said, DIRECT SELLING ISN'T FOR EVERYONE, it's mainly the answer(s) of "I'd rather draw my unemployment."

(Did I mention this was also from a former telemarketer, so she already has sales experience? Hmmmm.....maybe she just doesn't want to go back into sales.....)

Sorry I'm only giving little bits and pieces at a time I didn't think of relevence to the story when I originally typed it.

Edited to add, after reading Tammy's post: And I'm not trying to criticize anyone for drawing unemployment--after re-reading my OP I realized it could come across that way and that's NOT my intent was at all. I guess it's just because it's CONSTANTLY being pounded in that the economy is BAD, there are NO JOBS TO BE FOUND, etc. and there ARE jobs to be found for people who are willing to work (that DON'T have an aversion to direct selling)

Edited again to add: And there's --almost-- always that job at McDonald's!

Last edited by 4myloves; 03-02-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

If I had lost my job why not draw out unemployment? She probably thinks she deserves it and she probably does.......it's a very stressful time in losing your job esp if it was beyond your control. When I lost my main job (and I wasn't able to do parties for a while since this area was in so much turmoil) because of Katrina I was lucky that I had gotten unemployment for a little while. It helped me refocus and decide on what I needed to do.

I would not focus on the "why's" when they tell you no......just take it as a no and move on to the next person. It is a numbers game. If you honestly present the opportunity and take genuine concern and interest in your team then they will come. Pushiness is not an option. I have about 50+ women on my team so it works

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 03-02-2009 at 12:22 PM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #8  

Actually, Tanee, I've found that the people who come to me make the better team members than the ones I have to try to "convince." You're totally right when it comes to that. And, believe it or not--and I know it's hard not to when reading my post--I'm not pushy at all. I really don't have a problem taking no for an answer, no matter what the reason. The ones you have to wheedle with to get to work selling for you are usually the ones you have to baby each month/quarter/whatever to meet their quotas.

Glad there's another direct seller on here besides me!! (I'm not into the romance stuff, though I have been to a few "fun" parties!--just, um, name-brand plastic products for me )
Old 03-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Well for me, when I was unemployed and looking- I refused to take work that wasn't steady (ie we call when we need you) and work that was commission based (I'm just guessing that is how you are paid) or work that paid less than what I made with unemployment! I was like if I used to make $3000 a month, unemployement is paying me $1500 a month, why on earth would I take a job that only pays me $1000 a month?

Lucky for me I found a job that paid equivalent to what I was used to making- but it definitely wasn't laziness. I know I frustrated the unemployment people but I was like I've been working since I was 14, I'm 25 now, I think I can take advantage of my benefit I didn't enjoy being unemployed, but I didn't want to bust my *** working a job that had nothing to do with my degrees and get paid nothing as well, it'd take away from the time I used to look for a better job anyways.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

The first couple of months I was out of the job (and I was an independent contractor so no unemployment benefits), I was pretty relaxed about being out of work. Around Thanksgiving, I began to freak out. I had submitted tons of resumes and I realized truly how oversaturated the applicant pool was. I am in my 2nd week of work (YAY!) at a job I truly wanted, but I had a final interview a couple of weeks ago for a job that would have "just paid the bills". I would have been so grateful for that, too. I was shocked to find out that they had over 500 applicants over the course of a day.

My best friend was laid off and is drawing unemployment. She's about 2 months in and in NO hurry to find work. She has even turned work down because it didn't pay as well.

Last edited by junebug41; 03-02-2009 at 01:33 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #11  
Mini-goal: 260

S/C/G: 325/ticker/154

Height: 5'6"

I was laid of in January, and will be applying for unemployment when my severance runs out next week. I've sent out so many resumes, applied for so many positions (most of which I'm only technically qualified for (ie, I have a bachelor's degree) but don't have the experience required). It's disheartening to realize how little work in my field appears to be out there - and I've only limited myself in the sense that I'd take any reasonable offer for work in my field in the south eastern US.

On the other hand, uneven work, commission work, or work that pays less than unemployment wouldn't interest me particularly. I'd rather use that time to either increase my skills, volunteer and build my resume, or actively look for work.
annieoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #12  
Addicted to potato salad!

My husband was laid off a year ago or so and this is my take on why he wouldn't just accept 'any' job. First, he had a secret fantasy (he has a hard job...labor intensive) that one day he'd be laid off and then he could get paid at least half his pay and he'd work on all the itsy bitsy things he's been not able to get to because he works so much. He'd go back to college and get at least a certificate, etc. Well, when he actually got laid off...totally different. He became massively depressed and got absolutely nothing done that he wanted to. I think a lot of people go through this when they get laid off...scared, insufficient, etc, etc and it really weighs on some people and they need that time to get over it. Some people lose jobs they've had for years and years and its not as easy a transition as it may seem.

Also, my husband has a high school degree and his job is a specialty job that he has a decent salary because of 20+ years on the job. Taking a lesser job would have put us in the poor house (which we aren't far from, anyway), so he needed that six months to find the right pay, as well. Taking a lesser job would have taken away his unemployment pay and the time he needed to replace his old job/salary. Literally, you have to check in with them weekly and report any and all income you've gotten and I'm pretty sure that if you accept a job, you're done...even if its lesser pay.

I hope that helps to explain my POV. I understand how you feel because I absolutely can't stand to see lazy people being lazy. I can't tell you how aggrevated I was with my DH when I'd come home from work and he'd be playing video games and the house was a mess and he wasn't showered. He'd say, "I don't know what's wrong with me...I just can't get up off the couch..." Classic depression. I had to be very patient...and he ended up with a comparable job with comparable pay just in the nick of time and all is well today. Unemployment is a shock to people's systems and although your suggestion for her to have this sales job may have the best of intentions, I might be inclined to feel like (if I were her) "JEEZ! Let me handle this on my own in my own way!" Be patient with your friend and I'm sure she'll come out of this in an admirable way in her own time and in her own way.

Last edited by techwife; 03-03-2009 at 06:52 PM.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote