General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6.5

Default Things to do when you become single again...

K ladies. I need some fun. My husband moved out on Monday and has proceeded with the legal seperation/divorce process. I'm torn and have been having a BAD couple of months. BUT, today is looking brighter.

Thought I would start a fun thread. Things you did, or ideas you have to move on with your life and feel good again... Bring em on!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

1 - Start a new hobby. Did you always want to learn how to draw? Bike? any crafts you'd be interested in learning?

2 - Visit some place local you'd like to go. Go to the zoo, museum, aquarium, etc.

3 - Find an interesting book to read.

4 - Search for local events within your city.

It takes time but I think when you become single is a great time to do things that you may have not been able to do while you were married/dating.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6.5

I do need to think about a hobby....But not sure what.
I live in a REALLY small town. No zoo's or anything like that around here.
Got any book ideas? For good laughs and none of this self help crap??
Again, REALLY small town. Can I come visit anyone that lives someplace cool?? haha!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176.5/164/125

Height: 5'4"

I am sorry to hear that things have been tough for you.

Check with your local park district to see what kind of classes or unique outings they may be offering. Go for something you have never done before.

I am part of a Mom's group through my church that meets once a week. They have been such a blessing during my down times. I didn't even realize I needed them until I joined.

Most importantly, be a little bit selfish for a while. Do what YOU want to do, when you want to do it. You don't need to consider HIM anymore before making decisions.
alyandbra3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #5  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

aww you live in WI. i was gonna say COME PARTAY IN TEXAS! haha

as far as books, it's not really self help but kind of. and not really weight loss but kind of... How to Eat Like a Hot Chick and How to Love Like a Hot Chick. I LOVE these books!! SOOO fun to read and they will totally make you feel like a million bucks.
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #6  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

The last time I went through a hard breakup I did three things that really worked - I started volunteering (for me, the right place was the Humane Society - dogs adore you no matter what!) where I made some new friends, felt good about myself, and got to spend my time valuably where I wanted to be. I spent a lot more time with my girlfriends, which made both them and myself feel more important in my life. And I started working out hardcore - originally with the vengeful plan that I would look AWESOME when he saw me next, but it worked into just feeling better about myself. (And I did look awesome when he saw me next!)
This is time you can spend for YOU now.
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I signed up for a sprint-triathlon and was terrified I wouldn't be able to complete it. I was so focussed on training for it, when I came up for air again after the event, (which I DID manage to complete) I all of a sudden realized how much time had passed without me thinking about it, how much fun it was and how gratifying it was to accomplish that, I felt like wonder-woman, ready to face anything! I highly recommend doing something you're scared of!
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/155/130

Height: 5'8"

I am newly single also. As someone suggested, I am going to start volunteering more. It makes me feel good to help out someone or something in need, plus you get to meet new people and make new friends that may have similar interests as you. A new hobby is a good one too. I am also investing more time into myself. Right now it is just little things, like trying out new hair-do's and trying different make-up techniques..giving myself manicures and pedicures...anything that will make me feel better about myself.

Good luck with your journey! I hope that you find things that you never knew you liked to do!
creativebalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #9  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Start a book club, new exercise routine, go back to college, go out to eat at places that did not interest him, same with movies get caught up on the ones you wanted to see but didn't. Libraries...great place for connecting with clubs, other moms etc. Will you continue going to the same church as you have been? Start a single ladies bible study. Or if you are looking for something racier. Pole dancing classes with a BFF. Wine tasting...I could go on and on!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/242/135

Height: 5'7"

i did all the things he discouraged me from doing. that included going back to school and getting more cats. lol
i started doing some artsy things and also started entertaining ideas about the future's possibilities that i never had before! the whole world is open to you now!
its all going to be a lot of fun!
kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #11  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

Maybe it's too soon or you're not interested, but dating sure helped me move on! When my last relationship ended, I thought my soulmate was gone and that was it for the rest of my life... but after a couple weeks, I went on several dates and nobody stuck, but it felt good, I felt more alive. You say you live in a small town so maybe that's not realistic.

Also... do you want to continue to live in the small town? Maybe a move would help you?

I also booked a trip to San Francisco with my girlfriends... one of the most fun trips I've been on.

I think everyone is telling you to just get out there and live life. Think of all those things you envied about single people and do them!
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 227.4/187/159

Height: 5'5"

Sorry to hear this, but life does go on.

Find a really good legitimate online dating service in your area. Not everybody are pervs on the internet.

Last edited by ProteinGal; 02-11-2009 at 10:36 PM.
ProteinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #13  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

My BFF just married a man she met on christian cafe.
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/182.5/130

I sat around and got fat. Not such a good plan.

Definitely live it up with friends and family. You asked about books. Jennifer Weiner is a fun author you might like (Good in Bed was great, though focuses more on body image). I plan on checking out the two Corazonas mentioned.
130star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Would you be ready for a single's cruise or not yet since it's only a seperation? I recall you saying you had a daughter--how would you feel about meeting up with other single moms to discuss things?

I know what I would NOT do:

cook, clean or shave my legs for at least a little while!! LOL
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote