General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Our community is facing the dilemma on shelter euthanasia. Our humane society is not a no-kill shelter. A new no-kill shelter has opened up, and the humane society is facing a very uncertain future. What may end up happening is that most people are going to want to take their unwanted pets to the "no-kill" shelter. The no-kill shelter will not accept ill or suffering animals - those will go to the humane society. The humane society will receive less funding, simply because there are now two shelters, and also as many people will prefer to donate to no-kill shelter (not thinking about the lives of animals that are suffering mentally or physically).

Now the humane society is going to end up with a higher number (or perhaps only) the animals that are vicious or otherwise mentally or physically ill and suffering- the ones the no-kill shelter will just refuse to accept, and the humane society will have to do the "dirty work." The humane society volunteers will have only the pain of having to euthanize sick and suffering animals, with none of the joys of seeing their charges go off to good and loving homes.

If the humane society closes, what will the no-kill shelter do with suffering animals? Let them live out their lives in pain and misery? Find some shelter that will do the "dirty work," or just refuse admission to those cases? Will people take the extra step to find a shelter who will put their suffering pet to sleep, or will they abandon them on the highway or in the country?

I volunteered at humane societies in IL and WI, and both considered euthanasia a last resort - but it was often the most merciful choice. The two humane societies I volunteered for were lucky and only had to euthanize physically or mentally ill animals. Dogs that were vicious and unsafe around humans and other dogs were sometimes euthanized if training didn't work, because life in a small cage was seen as a fate worse than death (and I agree). Some dogs were euthanized because they went "stir crazy" from being kept in a cage for long periods of time. They tore at themselves and injured themselves because a ten foot by six foot run, even with two daily walks and play time wasn't enough for their mental stability. The dog I saw this happen to had been in the shelter over a year, and not one family had asked to see him. The only attention he ever got was from the shelter staff on his daily walks.

There are things worse than death, for both animals and humans. Before deciding that there is something wrong with your shelter, learn more about your shelters policies before you judge them - the whens and whys euthanasia is considered.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-20-2008 at 10:01 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #17  
Tink is on The Beach

S/C/G: 240/see signature/150

Height: 5'7

wow... while reading your thread it made me tear up.. about a month ago my mom took our cat named mio (which means MY in italian bc its my cat) to the spca because it was peeing on the furniture and it wouldn't stop =\ it upsets me knowing hes there and not with us and NOW reading that he could possibly be put down if he doesn't find a home =\ I would DEFINITELY support your candle idea... please go through with it... I'm sure there are many people who feel the way you do or have a similar situation as I do and would buy them. GOOD LUCK =)
TinkFreak117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 AM   #18  
banned

well, i think the name is not at all stupid. and above all the cause for which you are starting this more important. i support you and if you want any help from me in the cause i am ready to do the work for your cause, coz before marriage i was a member of People for Ethical Treatment of Animals, but since last 4 years i have been busy with my married life, kid
flaminjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #19  
Ashley

I'm not "judging" my shelter. I understand that if the animal is sick or injured and there is nothing they can do then the animal needs put down. I did say, I wasn't happy if they were there for awhile and couldn't get a home and there was nothing wrong with them AND they get put down for that. That to me isn't fair. I've volunteered too, so I already know what my shelter is like. I just wanted to find ways to help animals get homes to avoid being put down.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #20  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

The shelter here has had huge success with a fostering program. Basically, animals go home with volunteers, some of them ones that help train animals that need help. Some animals are in the shelter for people to see, but otherwise ones are rotated through homes so they aren't just locked up. The animals are happier when they are exposed to people who might adopt them, so people are more likely to adopt them. Also, there's a friends of the shelter that raises money for the shelter, so if you have one of those there, they could handle selling the candles for you. The one here sells all sorts of things.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #21  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My point wasn't at all that you were judging your shelter, but that no-kill shelters get alot of great press, and humane societies get a bum rap. If the wrong kind of help is given, it can cause a lot more pain to the community and to the animals that it helps. I just illustrated with the case in our community, because a lot of wonderful people with their heart in the right place, thinking that meant building a no-kill shelter, to replace the "evil humane society," probably made the situation in our community worse, not better.

Since a no-kill shelter's reputation hinges on no killing, they do not put sick animals down - they make somebody else do it. Being a humane society volunteer is sad enough without being forced to only do the dirty work someone else isn't willing to do. I'm just saying that in your volunteer efforts, be aware of this and don't make your solution add to, rather than solve the problem.

A fostering program would be excellent. It addresses the problem without condemning or replacing the humane society. I wish our no-kill folks would have thought of that, instead of being adversarial with the humane society. The humane society tried to work with the group, to provide a solution they both could work within, so that the community didn't end up with two large shelters with only the financial ability to support one. The no-kill folks refused because they do not want euthanasia under any circumstances to be associated with "their" facility. Instead of making the situation better for the animals, people let their egos get in the way, and animals and people are going to suffer for it.

I'm just asking you to learn from the mistakes made in our community. Choose your brand of help, carefully, and if at all possible work with rather than at cross-purposes with your humane society.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote