General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #46  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Ahh...I love this topic! Here are my reads....

Her Way by Jeff Gerth and Don Van Natta Jr. This is all about the life and ambitions of Hillary Clinton. It's a very fascinating read, and indeed, as one reads further into the book, not only do you realize how much the choices we make in our lives shape our character, but also how it affects others. I'm a political junkie, so I tend to read a lot of bios on politics. This one is by far the best comprehensive on Hillary.

From Daniel to Doomsday by John Hagee. The author is a preacher, and you can watch him on TV preaching his sermons. I am currently reading up a lot of his books because he is very closely aligned with my own religious beliefs on the end days.

Dark Possession by Christine Feehan. Love this author! This book is the latest in a long series of Dark (good) Carpathian vampires looking for love. I don't normally get into vampires, but this series has hooked me from the start! Maybe it's the buff bods on the covers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
90 Minutes in Heaven...Don Piper-very skeptical about this one. I honestly don't believe he died for 90 minutes and went to heaven...can't believe I actually finished the book but I did. I do believe that people see the light etc. but to actually die for 90 mns. and go to heaven??? You would have to read the book to know what I am talking about.
I have read this book a while ago, and the author definitely struck me as being sincere. I can't imagine going through what that man went through, living through it, and then writing a book on all of it. I'm aware most folks do, but a lot of his (earthly) experiences you must admit were deeply personal and embarrassing to even admit to. As for his heaven experiences, I do believe he saw all he did. Why is it not possible for him to have died for 90 mins, seen heaven, and then come back? I could see your point if his description of heaven was a bit generic, but it wasn't from my perspective. I just can't see the man being dead for 90 mins and all he saw was a bright light. Heavenly experiences aside, his book is inspirational and thought provoking. I loved the part where he helps a young boy deal with the same issues he faced with all of his therapy and having a metal rod inserted with pins.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Some great stuff in here guys. *adding books to my list*
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:52 AM   #48  
The Pink Champagne

S/C/G: 165/114/110

Height: 5'2"

Speaking of adding books to lists....are any of you on goodreads.com? I signed up the other day and its a great way to keep track of what I have read and what I want to read!
DGAdDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

DGA thanks for that website.. I'll check it out since I am an avid reader myself! I love James Patterson, Patricia Cornwall, Dean Koontz and any kind of mystery book with maybe a little romance sprinkled in. I'm currently reading The Money book for the young fabulous and Broke by Suzie Orman. It's really helped me out on what to do since I have absolutely no credit and no clue on how to go about getting started on that since I can't buy something and put it in my name for example I always either have to put it in my mom's name or my husband's name which I hate (makes me feel so dependent on them) and what types of investments to make for my retirement and how to save for a down payment on a house. It's really been helpful for me and two other friends who are freshly out of college themselves. Anyways.. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

DGAdDawg - I LOVE GoodReads. It's so fun to see what other people are reading!

This thread is amazing, I have a great list to take to the library with me now!

I just finished re-reading The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. I love the His Dark Materials trilogy, and I'm very excited for the TGC movie in December!

I'm also reading a non-fiction book called Roots of Empathy about a school program that teaches kids empathy through babies. It's really neat!
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #51  
Black Team TBL-WMB

S/C/G: 177/173/140

Height: 5'6'

The Visitation Frank Peritti(Sp) Just started this book think it's going to be good.
losinitin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #52  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Hey.....I just finished a book called 3fc On a Diet. It was really good!!!
Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
And his description of heaven brought to mind the painting on the wall at the Precious Moments Chapel in MO
Precious Moments Chapel??? YMMV, but speaking as a born-again deist with somewhat more sophisticated tastes in art, ::gag puke:: For art to the glory of God, give me Westminster Abbey or Notre Dame anyday!
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 353/198/140

Height: 5'7

I am reading the Privilege of Youth, by Dave Pelzer, it is a memoir about his life, and this is a really good book.
littlelady25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default books that changed my life!

They aren't all non-fiction, either.

I read Dune 30 years ago, and I have never taken water for granted. Makes things even scarier now, listening to the measures to which those in the drought areas are driven.

Stranger in a Strange Land --again, 30 yrs. ago, but I never took life so seriously......especially relationships/entaglements ..again.

Mary Stewart certainly is a bright spot...The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment

I didn't see J.R.R. Tolkien getting his due..what an artist.

I can't get over the brilliance of J.K. Rowling. I have always thought that the horrible he-who-must-not-be-named was really a metaphor for what we are facing now with global warming... And....It just knocks me out ..the Dumbledore revelation......not so sure she planned that from the start, but it is pretty cool no matter what.... So much for those criticizing the books about not being tolerant (the whole fat lady flap)

Of late, it is The Omnivore's Dilemma that is consuming me..or I am consuming it..not sure, but it certainly is food for thought......sorry, couldn't resist
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #56  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I am loving thread. I start to panic halfway through a book if i dont have one lined up to go next. Too funny.

My recommendations: The Long Walk, Stephen King writing as Richard Bauchman...this is my ALL TIME FAV. i fell in love with the kids in this book, you really feel attached to them.

Cornwell fans: I am just starting her new one. I have been drooling for a new one of hers for what feels like forever.

Just finished: Almost Moon...it was good. With an opening line like, "when all is said and done, killing my mother came easily"...i was intrigued and HAD to read it. glad i did.

I have a question, those of you that have read Golden Compass. I have heard the author is an atheist and that that is the basis of the Golden Compass. I wanted to know, if this is the symbolism that you all got from this book or is it just a bunch of paranoid hogwash? I am a Christian and just wouldnt feel comfortable reading about something that is "pro-atheism". Any ideas? Do you know what i mean by "symbolism"...kind of like Lion witch and the wardrobe is a religious novel based on symbolism. I have heard golden compass is great...i just dont want to support atheist stuff....its just a personal thing with me.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

I am now reading a book called Inappropriate Men by Stacey Ballis.

Here is a little tidbit on what it is about

Quote:
Sidney Stein's life is overflowing with inappropriate men. The first, somewhat surprisingly, is Mark, her husband of nine years. Sidney loves Mark, but their relationship has stagnated and they are little more than friends who happen to be married. Which is how Sidney finds herself drawn to Geoffrey Fahl, one of the partners at her father's law firm, who is also in a loveless marriage. The two begin a torrid affair that allows Sidney to face some hard truths and end her marriage. Not so with Geoff, who wants to make things work with his wife, and have Sidney on the side. On the advice of her brother, Sidney places a personal ad and starts to date, but she can't quite let go of Geoff. Sidney's wisecracking, funny observations should appeal to fans looking for a smart-about-life--if not love--heroine. Set in Chicago, Ballis's debut is a witty tale of a thirtysomething who unexpectedly has to start the search for love all over again. Kristine Huntley
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote