General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #16  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
green bean and mushroom soup casserole? I've never heard of that.

WHAT?!

I don't understand why people drink eggnog at all ...
ME EITHER!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #17  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
green bean and mushroom soup casserole? I've never heard of that.
Nelie, it is this recipe:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifesty...en-beans_x.htm

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...Bean-Casserole

Apparrently the Pilgrims and the Native Americans really didn't use condensed Cream of Mushroom soup at the first Thanksgiving after all. Shocking.

Last edited by Spinymouse; 10-22-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #18  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Wow, I've never heard of that. Although I used to love cream of mushroom soup, I never used soup as part of a recipe.

Our family has green beans at Thanksgiving but it is just green beans (although when I was young, bacon was added).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #19  

Height: 5'4"

I hope you don't mind that I think your analysis is funny! Yes, it's sad that greasy meats and burned bread count as breakfast. I like them anyway. But like you, I've never had a problem eating non-breakfast food at breakfast. I remember a pediatrician being horrified when I admitted to eating a hot dog for breakfast that morning. (Although really, what is a hot dog but greasy meat? How is it different than a sausage link?).

Basically, the best breakfast for me is one that's easily assembled. So I usually eat cereal or toast up an English Muffin.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:25 AM   #20  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Question Monitoring the situation

OK, spinnymouse, you raise a good question. Why do we?

I had never pondered why I ate "breakfast foods" in the morning, for me, usually granola and fresh fruit. So, I thought I'd do an experiment to buck my lifetime habit and observe the consequences.

This morning I had a meatloaf sandwich with hummus and cherry tomatoes on hard crust, 100% whole wheat, sour dough bread. The meatloaf (very thin slice) is leftovers that needs to be consumed. Cherry tomatoes are from DW's garden.

So far, I haven't experienced the end of the world.

Will continue to monitor the situation and let you know.

XXXXXXX 7 XXXXX|| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 12. 30 to go. Keep going!

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-27-2007 at 01:36 PM.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:22 AM   #21  
Made of Starstuff

Thank you Spinymouse!

All my life I have been given strange & confused looks by people when I eat leftovers from dinner for breakfast, or make myself a sandwich. I like traditional breakfast foods, too! But I'll enjoy them at whatever time of the day I want to thankyouverymuch.

I don't know how this silly notion came about that we can only have certain foods at certain times of the day, but I will say that my doctor has noted that what is MOST important is that we're eating a healthy breakfast regardless of what the foods are.

At least I'm not alone!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #22  
breakfast rebel

BillBlueEyes - leftover dinner is my usual breakfast! Actually I usually cook dinner in the evening but don't eat it until breakfast!
Faerie - I get those strange looks too. It amazes me that some people who are very tolerant and open-minded about all kinds of social things and personal choices are not that way when it comes to breakfast foods!

Wow, Pals-it sure is nice to know I have some good company in this!!!

When it really bothers me is the 4 times or so per year that for whatever reason I have to go out to eat for breakfast. Our local "Menus" newpaper/magazine came out recently and they post menus for the local restaurants. Some of them had breakfasts posted and it was really fueling my fire; I was practically stamping my feet when I read those breakfast choices. Then I found one restaurant that offered Crab Cakes Benedict. I could order that, and have them hold the eggs, hold the English muffin, hold the hash browns. Then I could have crab cakes for breakfast!
Old 10-27-2007, 01:04 PM   #23  

Height: 5'5"

My entire family denies the existence of breakfast food for breakfast. Leftovers in the morning is tradition for us. My mom didn't cook that early and refused to feed us sugary greasy things, so we just kind of learned to... forage.

Today I'm having soyrizo and chickpea wraps. With broccoli.

It's hard enough finding things I can eat in your typical american-style restaurant, so finding breakfast foods? Forget about it. I remember going to an IHOP for breakfast once and ordering the pasta primavera (sans sauce.) I thought the waitress was going to throw me out.

Wikipedia has a great article on pancakes. It's interesting to note that many other countries have a long history of pancake eating, but they are mostly served for dinner or dessert.

Quote:
In Sweden and Finland, it is traditional to eat yellow pea soup followed by pancakes on Thursdays. However, there is no such nationwide consensus regarding pancakes consumption on the other days of the week.

Last edited by JoyfulVegGirl; 10-27-2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added link
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #24  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I remember when I was about 11, I made scrambled eggs for the family for breakfast, and decided to add garlic powder. My mom nearly threw a fit. My grandmother tasted them and said "they're good," but to my mom it was besides the point. These things just weren't done.

She has a lot of food taboos though. She would never let me have orange soda with spaghetti or other tomato based foods because SHE got sick on it as a kid.

She's gotten a little more flexible, but often when my husband and I visit, if I cook for them one of my creative concoctions, I will tell my mother it was based on a recipe I found somewhere. I've often found it strange, because she has to realize that SOMEONE invented those recipes.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #25  
breakfast rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
These things just weren't done.
Yeah, that is exactly the kind of reasoning that has NEVER worked for me! Once as a little girl I asked my mother about something, and I can't even remember what it was that I asked about, but I remember that her response was, "it's just because that is how it is, like how you don't eat dinner in the bathroom."
I have, since, eaten dinner in the bathroom many times.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #26  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I grew up hating breakfast foods..detested eggs, cereal, bacon, pancakes. So as a kid I often had a can of soup for breakfast. Then in college I learned to like breakfast foods (because dorm cafeterias cant screw up cereal).

Now I eat a veggie stuffed omelet with salsa and plain oatmeal every day and there are days I think that if I werent married with kids, I would eat that for dinner too. Its my most balanced meal as far as protein/fat/carb/fiber goes

dh and I used to eat eggs on pancakes for dinner often, I like pancakes for dinner much more than for breakfast. If we do make them for breakfast, it is more of a brunch.

When I run long distance though I go early with just an energy bar or gel and then when I get home I want pizza or bean burritos or something food like, not breakfast, even though it is often 8 am.

I think I like my breakfast foods now because 1) I dont have to think I just make the same thing every day and 2) oatmeal & eggs are easy to eat in the morning, some days my stomach isnt awake enough for chicken.

Today I had the oatmeal and went and worked out and now I am having the rest of my breakfast--a chicken sandwich!

Last edited by ennay; 10-27-2007 at 01:37 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #27  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
I have, since, eaten dinner in the bathroom many times.

I LOVE IT!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #28  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I found this interesting
http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq7.html#breakfast
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Sometimes I eat leftovers for breakfast too, leftover rice or pasta (grain = cereal, innit?), stirfry or hash, the latter two on toast or on a frozen waffle (but the latter gets into "traditional breakfast food" territory)
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:21 PM   #30  
breakfast rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Intersting link, Ennay!
So far I have skimmed / read parts of it. Looking forward to reading it all.

I have yet to partake of the "drawing room" eating thing.

Humans are all so fascinating to me/ On the one extreme, humans can do amazing things like find cures for polio and explore outer space.

On the other exrtreme, they can be stymied by silly traditions like what to eat for breakfast, and what color lipstick to wear.

Last edited by Spinymouse; 10-27-2007 at 05:22 PM.