General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-25-2007, 10:30 PM   #16  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Another vote for always sending a thank you note. An interview works both ways. Just because a company wants to hire you doesn't necessarily mean that you will want to work there. Sending a thank you letter expressing your interest in the position is a great way to show that you are serious.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #17  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I didnt use the thank you card to confirm, I just added a sentence that said: "I look forward to meeting with you again regarding the position on August 28th at 4:45pm."
That way I covered both bases..but that wasnt the intention of the card. I wanted them to know I was and AM serious about the position.

Also, I would ad that I personally think you should refer to the "job" as either "the postition" or "the career opportunity with this company", my reasoning for this is so the employer will see that you are looking at longevity with the company and not just a temporary "JOB" and paycheck....

Anyone else have a thought on this???
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

Height: 5'7"

Following up doesn't hurt a bit. My ex did that with one company, kept calling, and he finally got the position. I, on the other hand, was a hiring manager for a very large corporation and a letter or any form of contact would not have been influential simply because we would interview and hire so many employees that a decision was made at the end of the interview as to whether they were coming on with the company. But again, this was a giant, and if I chose not to hire the employee they received a 'form letter' in the mail.
You have absolutely nothing to lose and possibly a job to gain. Contrary to all of the other opinions, I think if you wait a week, then the hiring manager's decision will probably be made. I would think you want to influence them before they make a decision. I would only wait about 3 days.
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:53 PM   #19  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Following up is a must. I currently work for a staffing company, and as much as I hate to admit it, even the extra day or 2 it may take to send a handwritten thank you note may be too long. I personally send a thank you e-mail the same night as the day of the interview. Some things happen so quickly in thebusiness world today that snail mail is termed as such for a reason.

Case and point--the job I have right now, I interviewed for on a Thursday afternoon. Thursday evening, I sent a thank you e-mail saying such things as that after having learned more about the opportunity, I was still very interested and enthusiastic about the position, and that after meeting people in the office and experiencing the atmosphere firsthand, I felt I could be a great fit to work and grow with them...I actually got an e-mail back from the VP later that same night expressing she agreed that I would be a great fit and that they would check my references in the morning and have an offer letter to me by COB the next day. I'd like to think the quick thank you/follow-up was helpful in their making such a quick decision
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #20  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

I agree with the poster who said NOT to wait a week. In retail, hiring happens veryquickly because there's such a big turn-over of employees. I'd wait no longer than Wednesday morning to call. And if you want to send the thank-you card (which is a great idea), I'd consider dropping it off there in person TODAY. I used to be a manager at 2 different clothing shops and I know when we were hiring, we'd see everyone on the same day and have short-listed by close of the same day, ony waiting for the results of the personality tests and possibly references to confirm. It happens very quickly so don't miss out!
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #21  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I also agree that a week is TOOO long! Anything that keeps you FRESH in their minds is best....email/thank you card, ect....whatever keeps your name popping up....

I also agree that retail is a little different fish than my particular company that I am interviewing with, so waste NO TIME on it.....as was said already, they usually know fairly quick who they want to bring onboard! Even with the company I am trying to get in with, the manager said that my position is the only one he doesnt "hire on the spot" for....all the others, he said, by the end of the interview, he either offers a position or tells them that they dont get the job, so there is no waiting around...but again that is a totally different type of position than what I am being considered for...my position would be working side by side with the manager and there would only be him and I for a HUGE territory to cover....(which is nice in a way) and then he said like next year they will hire 1-2 more in the same position, so whoever gets hired first will have seniority over the others and he said he is only going to stay at this location a couple more years then move with the company, so this person will be a PRIME candidate to take over as location manager!!! (Another reason I soooo want this position)
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote