Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-02-2006, 11:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Spices

Ok this may sound kind of dumb but I’ve only started cooking on my own for a few (maybe 5) months now. I went to the store the other day and bought a bunch of different spices and seasonings but now I’m not sure what spice goes with what food. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some type of list of what goes with what. Thank you!!!
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:51 AM   #2  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

I've got a very extensive list of which herbs and spices to use with which ingredient - can you give me an idea of what herbs and spices you've bought, then I'll type out the info for each one for you
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:40 AM   #3  
trouble

S/C/G: 240/219/160

Height: 5'4

i don't think there are any hard and fast rules..... just guidelines.... things that you aren't "supposd" to put together are often the most interesting and tasty combinations

i'd suggest playing with them to find out.... that's the best way i find....

but if there was a specific spice or food you wanted a spice for i'd be happy to help
isthatreallyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #4  

Allrecipes has a huge area of spices and information about them

http://allrecipes.com/Info/Cooking-S...s/ViewAll.aspx Click the spice name it gives background information, common uses as well as recipes on the site that contain that spice.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #5  

Thanks for the link, LindaT. That will be really helpful.
ChadsMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #6  
it's always something

I would like to suggest a trip to your local health or natural foods store. Most will carry spices and herbs in bulk, so you can buy tiny amounts of each without a large investment. In fact, they are much cheaper than supermarket spices when you check the price per ounce. You can buy just a teaspoon full if you want to try it, and they put it in a baggie with a label on it. This way, you can try a wider variety of herbs and spices, and they are much fresher than the supermarket tins that have sat in a warehouse. I've had a lot of fun trying new flavors this way.

I also love to purchase them online, and prefer http://www.worldspice.com/ for the highest quality spices. They are also sold in 'bulk' so you can get them in plastic bags, and are very affordable. They wrote a book about herbs and spices that goes into detail about each one, including which foods they go with. The book also contains recipes for various herb blends that are delicious
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote