Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-22-2006, 03:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Question sushi?

I love, love, love sushi but being made with white rice and all, it's probably pretty high in calories. I had some california rolls for lunch, and they brought back the craving. Anyone have any suggestions for healthy sushi, and where to get it in Canada?

thanks!!
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #2  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

Default Well....

If you can do it (I know some people can't) you could go with sashimi instead of sushi. Just fish, no rice. I was strictly a California roll gal for a long, long time, I once tried a piece of yellowtail sashimi that my husband had and didn't like it. However, a few months ago I tried a bit of something called spicy tuna kabachi, which is small chunks of fresh raw tuna in spicy sauce... and I loved it. I started out just eating a few bites and now I have to get my own appetizer of it or my husband doesn't get any at all. Since then I have been brave enough to try larger pieces of sashimi, even yellowtail, and have really enjoyed it. The trick is to let them know you are trying new things and experimenting... the staff will love to help you out, more than likely. Ask for mild flavored fish, too, that seems to help. Start with small small small pieces....

If you can't bring youself to do it, though... I dunno... Anyone else?

Good luck!
-Lala
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:58 PM   #3  

thanks, Lala! I'll definately try that...I should be able to find it at most seafood resturaunts here
Old 02-22-2006, 11:13 PM   #4  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I like taco (octopus, not the mexican kind!) salad. It's kind of marinated in sesame oil with some crunchy seaweed and very tasty. Our local sushi bar makes a delicious roll of cucumber cut into strips, rolled around crab salad and a piece of ahi tuna and cut into little rolls - it's our favorite and has no rice in it.

I like all kinds of sashimi: yellowtail tuna, salmon (smoked and raw), unagi (baked eel). You can learn to appreciate the different delicate flavors of the raw fish. Sometimes they have mussels or clams that are broiled in the shell with a little mayo and smelt eggs on top. Teriyaki Salmon (cooked) is also very good.

Now I'm getting hungry!
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:05 AM   #5  

ok i guess im just picky. The only sushi i like is just the rice on shrimp. Wish i knew how to make that. I am soo hooked on that stuff. It is soo good. I bet just the shrimp and rice wouldnt be too bad for you either.
tracyj1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:17 AM   #6  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Yep! Sashimi and Nagiri. I get sushi's that don't have things like mayonaise. According to my penpal in Nara (Japan) California Rolls aren't "real" sushi anyway. ;-)

And I never use soy sauce. (I don't like it, and it's all salt anyway).

--Janis
busker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:44 AM   #7  

Sushi is quite a healthy choice. The white rice is high in the glycaemic index, but partnered with fish and vegetables and pickles the over all glycaemic index is low. If you're careful about your choices, as Janis says, avoiding mayo etc, its low in fat.

Sushi is a once a month treat for me, I adore it!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #8  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

Believe me, you will not get fat on Japanese food!! ^_^ I lived there for nine months and I came back 30 lbs lighter. Sashimi is a good alternative, but it's hard to find good sashimi here in the US unfortunately My favorites are only found in Japan. I did ask my dad to bring me some tuna sashimi sometime though! Such are the perks of having a dad who works with meat. I think it may be possible to substitute brown rice if you make your own sushi, though, and that'd make it much healthier.

And yes, California rolls are not real sushi, as their name might suggest :P I'd never tried them until I'd come back to the US.
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #9  

oh lessthansign3, don't tell me that..lol japanese steak houses are my favorite food. I could live off the stuff. I could eat there everyday. They are soo yummy.
tracyj1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #10  

thanks for the insight, guys!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:25 PM   #11  
Living the Laguna life...

i don't usually post on this forum, but i love sushi
you can find the calories for a lot of common rolls online...i believe a company called tsunami posts their calorie information.
california rolls (6 pieces) with no mayo are about 400 calories, definitely a healthy choice. the rolls with tempura and sauces are obviously quite a few more calories!
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #12  

I am doing WW and all the sushi is low. I can have 4 peices of CA roll for 3 points, taka maki for 2 and 4 peices of nigiri (fish with rice) for 2. It's very healthy, just make sure to drink a ton of water. I think if you added up all the rice in a CA roll, it would end up being a 1/4 cup. Now I want sushi....
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Sushi may have the white rice, but it is also incredibly good for you. I mean, before McDonald's infiltrated Asia, was there ever a (nonrich) fat person in China or Japan? (I'm sure there have been, but the point still goes that Asian food is far healthier than American!!) Sushi is healthy. If it has extra carbs or fat or whatever, level it out throughout the week.
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote