Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 11:53 AM   #31  
RonaldMcDonald's LuvChild

Seems like I'm always going on about Eggbeaters - but no fat and 30 calories per egg is a gift! It's just egg whites - nothing weird or artificial. They are also homogenized. Just shake and pour.

Try an Omelette for dinner or brunch! Use spray in the frying pan and add all the veggies (fried or crunchy) you want and you are still under 300 calories for an eight egg omelette. I add a slice or two of lean ham and some Cabot Light Cheddar sometimes, and have Hormel Vegetarian Chili on the top or on the side. Feels like a splurge!
Old 01-28-2003, 09:22 AM   #32  

This is a great thread ladies!

I love the Jello FF pudding with a tablespoon of FF Cool Whip, I can't remember the points exactly right now but I think it's 2 pts. I also love Lean Pockets. I know they're not the best thing in the world for you but when I need to feel like I've cheated without actually cheating that's what I have. They are 5 or 6 points a piece depending on the variety and with a salad make a great meal.
Another thing I do to help control how much i eat at dinner is have a Lipton cup of soup ( I like Spring vegetable) while I'm preparing dinner. It's 1 point for a cup of soup and I don't eat as much at dinner time.
For a quick, easy meal we eat Rice A Roni made without any butter (I just spray the pan with buttery spray) and cut up chicken and tons of veggies. I add the veggies and cooked chicken when I add the water. It's 4 pts for a fourth of the recipe.

I also really like turkey bacon. I used to HATE it but then they improved the flavorand I've found that it adds a nice bacony flavor to recipes.

Well I hope everyone keeps posting here. I think it really helps to get new ideas!

Samantha
Old 02-04-2003, 11:18 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 215/170/140

Height: 5' 3.5"

I love this thread! Thanks for starting it. One thing my mom taught me a few years ago is if you have a recipe that calls for mayo, like tuna or chicken salad, you can use ff sour cream or plain yogurt instead. I thought it would be gross, but it works and you can't taste it.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:19 AM   #34  

Hello everyone!

I have to agree...this is a great thread! Love the ideas.

I just have a couple for now...but will be sure to come back and add my two cents

For those of you that like grapes,(my favorite are seedless red) wash grapes and place them into a zip lock bag wet, then freeze. Take 10 to 15 grapes and eat them right out of freezer, they come in handy while I am cooking dinner and...I love them, especially in the summer!!!! around 1 point

Another easy snack...chocolate graham crackers, spread two tablespoons fat free cool whip over one cracker (broken in two) make a sandwich and freeze. Make several at once and place in tupperware container. Great to have them in freezer for one of those chocolate fixes...1 point ea.

For breakfast...1/2 cup plain oatmeal, 1 cup water, microwave for 3 minutes add a sprinkle (to taste) of "Apple Pie spice" a little "Splender" and a drop of milk. Holds me for up to 4 hours. around 2 points

Let's Keep the ideas coming!

Meg
Old 02-08-2003, 08:52 AM   #35  

Hi again, here are a few of my latest finds:

breakfast--WW has frozen ff chocolate chocolate chip muffins. They are big and only 3 points. I eat them as dessert. Find them in the frozen food section with the breakfast items.

Uncle Ben's breakfast bowls--love the pancakes! The two varieties I have found are 6 points each and deelish! Pecan and peach pancakes and apple cinnamon pancakes. Check out some of the egg breakfast bowls as well, some of them are 6 points too.

Yogurt--try the Yoplait Whips! Yummy as a dessert, all flavors!

Someone mentioned the Gorton's fish filets. I have been enjoying the Salmon, all flavors. Two filets is 5 points and yummy. Take their adice and cook in a conventional oven. Also get the smoked salmon in the refrigerator case and crumble on top of mixed greens, add a low fat balsamic vinegrette and you have a taste sensation.

Karen
Old 02-08-2003, 09:15 AM   #36  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

Definately yes on the Gortons fish fillets. I love the char grilled and the garlic and herb. Great with a salad for supper. I think they are 4 pts. ....Sis
Old 02-10-2003, 10:24 AM   #37  

The frozen grapes are really good. My girls love them also.

I will have to try the whip cream and graham crackers that sounds really good.

My new IDEA is... for chocolate cravings I drink a cup of hot chocolate. This really helps me out.

Oh, and here is an idea that nobody's ever heard before......drink lots and lots of water. I hear the stuff is good for you! : )

Amy
Old 02-12-2003, 09:23 AM   #38  

If you find the Gorton's fish bricks are too expensive - look for some frozen pollock or haddock filets in the frozen food department. I've been getting pollock for about a buck and a half a pound - it's flash-frozen aboard the factory ships and pure white, no bones and easy to toss into the George Foreman-type grill or frying pan - just use a spritz of garlic butter spray and/or lemon - YUM. Get it on sale and stock up. The one I get comes in a dark green one-pound bag and cooks in about ten minutes on the little grill.

I've been making wonton soup - so low in calories! Each little wonton wrapper is 20 calories and I've been stuffing them with a little ground turkey with some soy sauce and ginger and garlic mixed into it. For the broth - a vegetarian and a chicken boullion in four cups of water with a chopped scallion and a couple snow pea pods. Six wontons + broth + veggies = ~200 calories! Lunch in ten minutes! I made a whole bunch of the wontons - very easy - and froze them. I toss them frozen into the hot broth for six minutes.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:14 PM   #39  

Talking

Thanks to all of you for your favorite selections. And i agree that FF cheese is not good. I can eat 2% cheese. I really love this web site.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:09 AM   #40  

I was so psyched to find Cabot now has 75% Light cheddar. About 60 calories and only 2.5 grams of fat. Used it melted the other night over tortilla chips and it was excellent. My grocer has it in the fancy cheese section - not the dairy cooler.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:07 PM   #41  

I use mozzerella cheese instead of cheddar on or in about anything. Is there anymore cheese that are lower in fat? I don't know much about cheeses.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:55 PM   #42  
Queen of Wishful Thinking

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 5'6

Wow! I'm new on this site, but I have to say that this thread is great. I have so many things to try now, I don't think I can remember them all!
Old 03-09-2003, 03:26 PM   #43  

Smile Laughing Cow

Just cathcing up on all the wonderful posts----I'm new here---this is really a great site!!!!!!! Talking about "bad" diet cheese, have you tried Laughing Cow Light Swiss (only one I can get)???? It is incredible!!!! It comes in a round package, and there are 8 wedges in the box----each one is 1 pt.----1 wedge is plenty for a toasted english muffin----it is out of this world!!!!!!!!! There is another one called Mini Bell, they are little round individually wrapped cheeses, check it out---SUPER!!!! Coobird
Old 03-09-2003, 04:50 PM   #44  

I like to take a Columbo Lite (or Dannon Lite) yogurt, and put it in the freezer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I then eat it (semi-frozen) with a old silver baby spoon. I is very creamy, takes a long time to eat, counts as a milk serving and is only 2 pts!

(I don't like it as much when the yogurt has been in the freezer too long; it gets a little icy.)

Jane
Old 03-26-2003, 02:48 PM   #45  

Okay I always check this thread but now I actually have something to add.

Have you all tried low fat and fat free saltines? I like them both. I actually even like the fat free a little better. They are kind of exspensive though like 3 something a box. Thats why I usually buy them at work (because someone else is paying for them) and at home I did find a generic brand of low fat I got at krogers. I will also say that they are much saltier than regular crackers so if you are watching your sodium not a good idea.

Two other things that I have been eating a lot of and love. One is low fat cottage cheese. I spice it up with 2% low fat shredded cheese, green onions and black pepper. Very good! You can even use fat free cheese. Its not bad in a salad. I have never tried the fat free cottage cheese. Not gutsy enough for that yet.

The other one is buy a head of Napa Cabbage, green onions, low fat shredded cheese, tomatoes and if you want crunch some raumen noodles or almonds (not a lot but just enough). You top it with balmic vinegar and olive oil. It is great!!! YOu eat this with your fat free crackers and its a great meal.

Good luck! I hope others will post more ideas.

Beth

SW 200
CW 173
GW 125
Closed Thread