Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-14-2006, 12:50 AM   #46  

Height: 5'8.5"

I still haven't eaten mine... I need to try them for dinner tomorrow night... except LOL I don't think I have any sauce so will have to come up with something.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #47  

I tried them last night! What a wonderful day. On WW, they are 0 points for the whole bag, because of all the fiber. I just used some fake butter, salt and pepper and they were great. Can't wait to try with an actual sauce.
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:33 PM   #48  

These noodles sound great! Has anyone checked to see if Wal-mart has them? I don't do much shopping anywhere else.
blondiekittie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:36 PM   #49  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I doubt that you'd find them at Walmart. If they catch on and become more popular, like they are in Japan, I'm sure Walmart will want to stock them. Just like you see ready made sushi at stores these days and nobody would have thought this possible 20 years ago!
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:38 PM   #50  
Brit Chick

Here's a site that has some interesting info about konjac (Shirataki) noodles: http://www.lowcarbeating.com/article...ach.php?id=419

There are some step by step pictures of how to prepare it.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:49 PM   #51  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrogwetrust
I just used some fake butter, salt and pepper and they were great.
Oh I am glad you shared that idea!!! I bought some Saturday and still have not eaten them because of no sauce! But I could try them THAT way. I thought about putting some of them into my juicy cooked mixed veggies!
Old 03-15-2006, 07:38 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

Default Skinny Noodles

Shirataki noodles rock! 0 points on weight watchers and I make them up in a stir fry for a full, filling meal that comes in under 3 points on weight watchers. Just make sure that you give them a good rinse before you use them and the slightly fishy smell goes away. I nuke them for about a minute and a half before I cook them too. They're super easy to find, just look at a Japanese grocery store.
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #53  

Oh no if they are fishy I won't be able to take them as I am allergic to seafood. And I am confused.. the ones I got were in the refrigerated stuff and look like they are already cooked.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #54  
Brit Chick

Don't worry, there is NO fish in shirataki or konyaku noodles. The "fishy" smell is sometimes noticeable when you open the package. I think it's something to do with the konyaku yams that it's made from. They don't taste fishy at all, which is strange.

You just need to rinse them with hot water in a colander and then dry them out a bit in a dry pan, otherwise they water down the sauce too much. They are precooked, so you just need to warm them up.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #55  

Thanks Penny... I know there is no fish in them but even if they SMELL like them I will not be able to handle it. But I will give them a try!! Thanks for the advice about rinsing and drying them.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:05 PM   #56  
Brit Chick

I hope you enjoy them.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:11 PM   #57  

Oh yike! Those things were HORRID! LOL I can't BELIEVE anyone likes them!! They smell like old stale fish... but I bravely tried to rinse all that off and take a bit.... my mouth puckered like with a persimmon. Those things went down the garbage disposal. There are easier ways to lose weight LOL
Old 03-17-2006, 12:30 AM   #58  
Brit Chick

Sorry to hear that.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:39 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I think these noodles are like tofu. They taste better when they are cooked after rinsing well with some flavorings or have something with a strong flavor. Added at the end of a stir fry to get the flavor of the oil and/or sauce, spaghetti sauce things like that. Also cooking in a skillet/pan with just a little bit of oil to warm them up tends to help the fishy smell go away also.

I have 2 bags in my fridge that I haven't done anything with yet. I'm such a procrastinator. Along with multiple boxes of tofu. I keep thinking that tofu is supposed to be good for me, I should eat it. but it's such a chore to find a recipe that I like. <whine>

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:54 AM   #60  

Hi Sarah

Well I am glad you found a way to help out the noodles. LOL mine are in the garbage disposal! But it is great that some people like them... they sure are low in calories wow! And I don't like tofu either... oh well LOL there is other healthful stuff. And I would not want to discourage anyone from trying them.... for 2 bucks a bag or so they are worth checking into.